Another first for the Avril Marie and the forum family... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Another first for the Avril Marie and the forum family...

Smcdermott
07-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Big tuna on fly.

Both fish were about 50" and 60-70lbs according to the charts. Both were landed in 30-40 minutes with 12wt rods and appeared healthy upon release.

Sean Ransom joined me today for a last minute trip. Costly trip as I lost an Xi2 12wt and Abel Super 11 over the gunnel but the fishing gods returned the favor with a few fish to help stem the pain.

Sean with his first tunoid ever...what a start.

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/IMGP0654%20(Medium).jpg

Me with my first of the year and personal best by a good margin.

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/IMGP0649%20(Medium).jpg

These fish take a little muscle to get in the boat...

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/IMGP0647%20(Medium).jpg

Sean

FishHawk
07-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Nice fish guys. Too bad about the lost equipment. What fly did they eat? FishHawk

Warren
07-02-2007, 04:50 AM
Sean & Sean,
Good show! Man the gods were on you side and look at that flat water! How far out did you have to travel Sean?
Thanks for the pics. And sorry to hear about the rod too.

jimS
07-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Sean, awesome! You and Sean have done what I have yet to do on the fly. Great job, and hope to see you in late August. Sorry about the outfit, that is real money down the drain.

jamie
07-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Ouch, that has to hurt. Hope it is all covered by insurance.

Fantastic fish though.

Dble Haul
07-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Great pictures and great fish. Awesome. :smokin:

Smcdermott
07-02-2007, 09:10 AM
The fish both ate a small olive over white deceiver on a 2/0 600sp hook. Tied by Sean Ransom. I understand he is no marketing the Tuna Angels for a reasonable fee!

Unfortunately I don't think insurance is going to do much for me. I have a $1000 dedcutible on the personal property on my homeowners and did not itemize any fishing gear so it applies. No rider on the boat policy for personal property either. Live and learn on that one.

Sean

sean
07-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Fishing wise we had a killer day. To go 2-3 on the fly is very special with that fishery. Unfortunately the lost tackle kept it from begin a great day all around, that really sucked.

A big thanks to Sean for taking me out and for the angling advice. I had a little bit of the tuna jitters but Sean coached me through it and got me to slow down and get the fly into a fish.

Big bluefin was something on my angling todo list and can finally say I got one.

A tuna fight can be summed up into:

0-5 minutes:
This is awesome. I actually hooked one
5-10:
This fish is huge, my bicep is starting to ache
10-20:
Whose idea was this anyway
20-30:
I am never doing this again
30-40:
No really, whose idea was this.
You land it:
Totally stoked and the pain goes away quickly.
20 minutes after you land it:
I want another :)

As to the fly the bait was small (probably young of the year herring) so alot of things would have worked I am guessing. Presentation and getting a good shot was the key. Very impressed with the 600sp hook. A 2/0 holding a 60-70 pound fish is awesome. We actually caught both of our fish on the same fly and the hook showed no sign of wear.

Again a big thanks to Sean and hopefully I will have a boat next year so I can spread the forum angling juju around like Sean has done for a lot of us.

-sean

P.S. Oh and you do not need to set the hook on tuna, they hook themselves. Don't even try it actually, trust me :)

juro
07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
INSANE!!! And to think I had to work Sunday and miss my spot on the deck :(

Oh well, I don't have the Sean Ransom biceps anyway (what a hilarious timeline!)

Guys -

Sean M. has been a perennial contributor to the forum and kindred spirit to the little brothers not to mention one who always steps up when needed.

Sean, sorry if this embarrases you but I am going to tell the guys that the reel was a VERY special gift from Patrice his lovely wife and although it can never be replaced, it can be substituted.

Please join me in donating a recovery fund for the gear he lost. I will start it by sending $25 to Patrice who having bought the first heirloom reel I am sure she knows how to get one engraved again.

I of all people believe that hope in tomorrow is more powerful than what is lost today.

Let's do this guys!

sean
07-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I left my danielsson 11/14 with Sean to help offset the fishing needs for a bigger reel for the rest of the season.

Getting him a new reel and/or rod is a great idea. With our connections doing both is well within reach.

While we could never duplicate the sentimental value of that reel I am all for helping with funding a new setup as Sean deserves it. Count me in. We should start a new thread...

-sean

Dave17
07-02-2007, 11:25 AM
awesome pics! I literally got a sick feeling reading about the Xi2.

Sean can you send me high rez on those photos for the slideshow?

Dkopij@gmail.com

Thanks

Smcdermott
07-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Guys,

I can not tell you how much I appreciate your sentiment here. The reel was a special gift from a very understanding and special woman. To say she is as much of a part as I am in all my give backs around here would be a gross understatement.

With that said, lets hold off on the fund. I really don't think it will be neccessary and at the end of the day I am sure I am not the first and won't be the last to lose something special in the pursuit of a passion. I have contacted Abel and they are going to get back to me with options and have been very understanding and helpful so far.

I should mention that Sean made that offer to loan out the reel before the trip even started so we all know he is a generous soul.

Thanks again,

Sean

neac9
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey Sean,
Nice to see you holding that fish! If ever a guy diserved it its you. Hope all is well and may your sea's always be flat and your rod alwys be bent.
Jerry
sorry to hear about the gear

Smcdermott
07-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Jerry. Good to hear from you. Hope you are still flining a fly every now and then.

Sean

Smcdermott
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I put up a post in the Propwash section with the full story on the rod. Boaters might want to take some time to read it if you use a fly line tamer.

Sean

mikez
07-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Sean, condolences on the loss of the rig. I can only imagine how that felt. You're a better man than me if you were able to keep a good attitude after that disaster. I suspect I may have turned around and gone home. At the very least a monster sulk would have tainted the day. Out of curiosity, were in you in deep water and did you consider the possibility of a rescue misson?

That aside, congrats on the tuna! Seeing you with that big fish really made me smile. I remember when I first met you, you were just learning the ropes of saltie flyfishing. It's kind of ironic in a way, I remember thinking then that I had been flyfishing longer than you had been on earth. Now I look at you in that picture and think "How can I get him to show me how to do that?":)
I've said it before, anybody can learn to fish. It takes a natural born talent to become one of the 10% of the fishermen that catch 90% of the fish.

RayStachelek
07-02-2007, 06:37 PM
U'd the men!

Slinger
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I allways knew Sean would be one of the best, I just didn`t know it would be so soon! Although he does seem to have a penchant for dropping equipment, I know where there`s a real nice Bauer reel if you want to climb down to get it! A more diligent and hard working fisherman you will not meet. He absorbs every bit of info and technique he gets AND PUTS IT TO USE! I myself am the biggest offender in the " Yeah I know but" club. Putting that info to use is what seperates the best from the rest.

Damn I wish I had my boat! Why is it every time somthing goes wrong for me the Tuna show up a week later?
Slinger

Slinger
07-02-2007, 10:17 PM
I forsee a new avatar being uploaded soon, I must be psychic!
Slinger

Bigcat
07-03-2007, 05:32 AM
I allways knew Sean would be one of the best, I just didn`t know it would be so soon! Although he does seem to have a penchant for dropping equipment, I know where there`s a real nice Bauer reel if you want to climb down to get it! A more diligent and hard working fisherman you will not meet. He absorbs every bit of info and technique he gets AND PUTS IT TO USE! I myself am the biggest offender in the " Yeah I know but" club. Putting that info to use is what seperates the best from the rest.

Damn I wish I had my boat! Why is it every time somthing goes wrong for me the Tuna show up a week later?
Slinger

Slinger, I just read the board and I know it is short notice but I plan on launching out of Sandwich around 11:00 am your welcome aboard.
John

Smcdermott
07-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all the compliments. I really appreciate it. I have been very fortunate to meet and fish with a lot of great anglers who have spent their lives perfecting their skills and they have been kind enough to share some of that knowledge with me.

Mike, we were in a 130' of water and had made about an 8 mile run over which the rod could have come out. Not exactly the best scenario for a search and rescue. I did let out a few explitives but can you imagine how bad the day would have sucked if I turned around and went home. Now it is a story to share and while bittersweet it will always be a day I look back on fondly. Don't worry I haven't forgotten about my offer. As Sean can attest to it just sometimes takes me some time to deliver on them but I usually do.

Hopefully we can get Steve into some fish soon. If the weather cooperates and the fish hang I am sure we can get it done. Might have to get him to stay on the water past noon but something tells me he might make an exception here!

Sean

Smcdermott
07-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Slinger, I just read the board and I know it is short notice but I plan on launching out of Sandwich around 11:00 am your welcome aboard.
John

Bigcat,

I called Steve and relayed your offer. Unfortunately his is working. He really appreciated the offer though.

Sean

Bigcat
07-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Thank's Sean.

Eddie
07-03-2007, 09:03 AM
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: NICE!

mikez
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh well, I figured if you didn't mention the option of diving for the rod it wasn't practical. Just thought I'd ask just in case.

No worries on the offer to chase tuna. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. When the call comes. I'll answer!:biggrin:

TimSt
07-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice job Sean!! It is absolutely killing me to miss the season this year! Glad to see you're out there nailing them. Sorry about the rig; that sucks.

Smcdermott
07-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Tim,

Jimmy and I were just saying on Saturday that it sucked you weren't there to experience these fish with us. We made it back out this morning and stuck a few. Details in a new thread.

Sean

Smcdermott
07-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update on my tackle loss. I contacted Abel on Monday and explained the situation and asked if there is anything they could do to help me minimize the loss. They have been great and are being very generous on the pricing on a replacement as well as working with me to make sure it is as close to the original as possible. I have not contacted Sage as I am still unsure if I intend on replacing the 12wt as I picked up a TFO 14-17wt bluewater stick yesterday. Casts like a cannon and puts a whopping on these fish.

Thanks again to everyone for their offers to help and overall support. I forwarded the thread to Abel just to show them the pics on Monday. They subsequently read the responses that followed and I believe it did play a part in the end offer.

Sean