Albie Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Albie Clave

Nathan Smith
08-04-2000, 08:16 PM
There has been talk of an albie clave and that I sort of the point man on it. Well it sounds like a good idea. I love fishing the autume run. The last couple of years it has gotten nutts thought. Anyway, I have access to two boats of my fathers and I know I can borrow my grandfathers. We can take them out to dinner to repay them. It is funny there is no way they would ever go with us. They think it's stupid to go after a trash fish with one of those fly rod thing-a-ma-jigs. Any way here is some heads up on the trip.

1. The best times are from the first of October-November. I would like to wait until mid september to set the date. the hot spots vary alot.
2. If there is a significant storm or hurricane, donít we won't bother fishing 2 weeks after it.
3. Boat: The seas can get pretty choppy, so a flats skiff my not be a good idea. Most 17+ft. V-Hull will work well though. A fish finder is also a great tool. So are life vests. I can already hear the wind from you blowing me off on that one. Well all I have to say is that the area is known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic for a reason. Itís a pain but just ware it and shut up, it is really dangerous being up on the bow of the boat.
Clothes: The whether in NC is like the Northeast in the spring. 70 and sunny one minute, 40 and raining the next. Bring some layers. Also rain suits, jacket and bottoms.

Tackle:
Flies: The main bait is silversides, some herring, mullet and anchovies. For size use #2-#1/0. Albies have smaller mouths then Stripers so nothing over #1/0, #2 and #1 are best. Stay away from true poppers. With the smaller mouths and ďspeedĒ through style they will frequently miss poppers if they go for them at all. It may be tempting when you see them boil, but for ever fish hitting close to the top there are 10 below it. It you are going to fish high use a sea deucer or small slider type.
Specific flies
1. All white, gray/white, chartreuse/white clousers
2. Locally thin clousers tided with synthetics are called albieclousers
3. Sparsely tide deceivers, all white
4. Sea Ducers
5. Surf Candy
6. Other assorted flies that imitate silversides

Rod and Reel: You can get by with a 9wt but a 10wt is better for the fish. A absolute must is a good large arbor reel. All the things you hear about Albies pealing off 200 feet of line in one run is true. Also bring a 7wt or 8wt. for some sea trout and redfish fishing.

Line: Interm. is good or a slow sink. Clear lines are not that big of a deal

Learder and tippet. I go with 15lbs-20lbs. I also always use loop knots. With the heavy test and #1 fly the fly won't move very well with a standard clinch knot. I suggest 3 days on the water at least.

Is there any interest

bigcat988
08-04-2000, 10:20 PM
I could go for that would it be a long weekend trip?
How long of a drive?

i'm so outta here
08-05-2000, 03:53 AM
<drool>Alllllbbbbiieess</drool>

Roop
08-05-2000, 06:25 PM
Nate,

Great to see you today, enjoyed the company as always.

Like I said, count me in. Let me know where & when.

Roop

craig
08-05-2000, 06:56 PM
Nate,

Count me in! Sounds great! 200 yds runs awesome!

Thanks,
Craig

Tight Lines

ssully
08-05-2000, 08:07 PM
Nate,

Alright it may put a kibosh on my first annual February Costa Rican fishing trip but I'm in. http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

JohnM
08-06-2000, 07:59 AM
Hi Nathan.......

What area of the Outerbanks are we talking........is it Atlantic Beach, Beaufort,........??? Thanks.......I will let you know in the next week or so as I have a tentative trip to the area already but could always use another !

John

Hawkeye
08-06-2000, 11:02 AM
Mike and I are very interested!! I look forward to some knuckle slaming runs!

ssully
08-06-2000, 06:47 PM
Gregg,

I thought you lost Mike to the love of his life?

He better get a a fishing pre-nup! http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Lefty
08-07-2000, 07:11 AM
Al: ROTFLMAO -such a way with words.
Gregg, you mean MORE knuckle busting runs.

TerryW