West Coast Stripers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: West Coast Stripers

Eric
06-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe I haven't been thorough enough, but I don't see too many posts on this Forum from the Left Coast.

We have stripers, too! Russell Chatham's wonderful book _The Angler's Coast_ (ISBN 0-944439-12-8) dramatically accounts pioneering efforts in California to catch stripers on flies. John Shewey has written about catching these sluggers in Oregon's Smith. Anybody out there from Oregon or California who's fly-fishing for stripers? Love to hear about it if you are.

Cheers,

Eric (who really wants to catch a striper on a fly)

juro
07-01-2007, 09:47 AM
It amazes me that Joe Brooks he held a world record fly caught striper for years... in Oregon!

I have friends in SFO who are very active striper fishermen, primarily in the winter months up in the bay. However they have to be somewhere the other months... not sure it's been figured out.

What is the scene in Oregon / seasons / habits?

doogue
07-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Ironically, I was in San Francisco last week and I had the chance to chat over e-mail with Dan Blanton and a few guides on striper fishing in San Francisco.

Even at this time of year stripers can be caught, moderately big ones too, from shore. Although the fishery does appear to be more of a winter fishery you can catch twinks in the summer and could hook into a bigger "Moe" striper as it comes out of the rivers and estuaries post spawning.

I am certainly not an expert on this but this is what I learned from the locals.

Thanks,

Mike