Big Brother Day 2007! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Day 2007!

juro
06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Despite being dealt a curve ball by mother nature again, we had a fantastic time with a particularly great bunch of Big and Littles this year. Due to high winds the landing at South Beach was scrapped for the lee side of North Monomoy.

Fish were few and far between on North Saturday but we made the best of it and had a great time. Schoolies and blues saved the day for many. It's not always about the catching, in fact the friendships and fresh air, beach picnic and chocolate chip cookies were all a big part of the day.

But the biggest part of the day were the smiles and looks of intrigue on the faces of the Little brothers and Sisters! I am always impressed by the bigs - they really give their hearts to these kids thru the year.

Kudos to Molly, Vanessa, and the Rip Ryder team for a great mission. Special thanks to Chatham Village Cafe for the lunches.

Big thanks to Sean McDermott who donated the Grand Prize - a trip out on the shiniest hull on the sea this summer. As Markeese will attest, it's a great time.

Nick Svencer (former Forum GQ) came through with the Forum "classic" flyboxes for the kids and everyone chipped in with flies and lures for the prizes.

There were just enough hats for the bigs to get a embroidered hat to say "thanks" for their generous involvement with these great kids.

Mrs. Simms donated cape cod t-shirts to all the kids. Bill Littlewood donated a vest and a waist pack as prizes to the pop quiz at the end of the day. If the rod doesn't stop you get what? :)

And we the forum mentors did our best - good karma to us all.

For Ben and Jeremy - don't forget we have a rematch scheduled with the ol' striped one later this summer.

OK - everyone please post your pics in this thread! Mine will be here tonight after work.

Nick
06-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Great time for sure. Jack and Steve (little and big) were a pleasure to spend the afternoon with.

As always, great to see both the Big's and the FFF members getting together for this great cause. We do it for a day, the Big's do it all the time. Hat's off to them for sure.

Juro, thanks again for setting this up. It really is a highlight of the season.

1. Here's the Sensei doing his thing.
2. Sometimes the fishing really doesn't matter. It's all about the surroundings.
3. The Lil' Sisters got into it as well!
4. Cluster of mussel's with a baby crab in the middle. Who needs stripers?
5. South Beach from the Crow's nest.

Dave17
06-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Great work guys! This is one of the big drawbacks of living in the south for me. I miss this event. I'm glad to see it has continued and hopefully I'll be able to make it next year.

Thanks for all the efforts:smokin:

sean
06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Copying over from the other thread:

I had a most excellent time from the guided tour of the north tip of monomoy by Jim and Craig in the morning to the best part, fishing with the big brothers and the kids. A slow day fishing wise but Carlos and Edwin found one. Really looking forward to next year.

Also a big thanks you Juro for putting this together. Truly a labor of love.

-sean

http://speypages.com/big_bros.jpg

juro
06-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I just had the idea... the rest comes from YOU! And the Big Bros Assoc, Bigs, Rip Ryder, Chatham Village Cafe, etc. It's a great team effort.

High fives all around!

Smcdermott
06-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Had a great time with Joe and Leo. While we didn't land any fish we did have a few moments of great anticipation as we waited for the mussels to be pulled in.

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/Big%20Brother%2007%20004%20(Medium).jpg

I think we all know this wasn't Porkslice's first time handling a feather boa but it was his most noble moment with one!

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/Big%20Brother%2007%20001%20(Medium).jpg

And of course....Mr. "No bend...no send" in action.

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/Big%20Brother%2007%20003%20(Medium).jpg

juro
06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
HAHA

It wasn't easy thinking about what I could say to kids who have never touched a flyrod to help them kinda get it in the time it takes to eat a sandwich and an apple. Those are the schticky, cheesey lines I came up with.

Maybe us grown-ups should stop using terms like 'path of acceleration'! ;)

Smcdermott
06-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Juro,

All joking aside you did an awesome job as usual keeping the attention of the kids and conveying difficult concepts in a easy to understand message. :)

Sean

RayStachelek
06-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Another nice humanitarian effort. Great Job guys!

I'm sure the kids enjoyed the day and the underlining message here at the Forum.... That is all about Family.

juro
06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Fishhawk, any pics from your new toy to share? :)

FishHawk
06-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Took me awhile but I finally got the bugs out. Here are the pics from Big Brother Day. I still have to work on the compression aspect of the photos . FishHawk

FishHawk
06-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Here are a couple more. FishHawk

juro
06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Great shots!

The easiest thing to do is just click and download/install the free microsoft image resizer (if you have windows XP) from the link at the top of this page.

I am going to change the maximum photo size to match the small resize dimensions of this utility so there is no mussing or fussing after resize.

Sorry I did not realize that before, I use photoshop.

OK the below photo was resized using the MS freebie to "small" (640x480). Without any further mods I was able to attach it as seen below.