Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great day of sight fishing

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I suddenly found myself with a day to fish yesterday, so I checked the weather (clear skies, winds from the WSW), loaded the kayak, and headed to a spot that I've been meaning to try for years on the CT/RI border.

I arrived at the last half of the outgoing tide, and it didn't take me long to find fish. This ended up being one of the best days of sightfishing that I have ever had.....sand eels galore, excellent visibility, and good numbers of blond fish. During the course of the next ninety minutes, I managed to hook about a dozen stripers and land eight of them, none of which were under 26 inches long. Two of them were approaching the three foot mark, but not quite. I missed the yardstick by that much. :roll: :smokin:

The incoming tide was less productive. The fish seemed to scatter out of their pods and really fan out. I staked out a few select ambush points, but it wasn't in the cards to catch any more big fish. A few more schoolies were all I could manage, so I packed it in early. The pleasure boaters had made for some gridlock at the launch site, even in the kayak/canoe launch area. I was home in time for an early dinner, very sated with the day's fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.