Unusual catch [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Unusual catch

Quentin
06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
I was at a local lake throwing a big foam popper (3/4" dia) for bass. I did get a bunch of bass up to about 2 lbs, several pickerel (including a 4"er :confused: ) but I also caught this large shiner, which apparently hoped to nip a piece off of whatever it thought it was attacking. It hit while I was working the fly quickly, so I don't think it mistook my popper for a piece of bread :hihi: .

shadfreak
06-20-2007, 11:03 PM
That's a big Golden. I bet you want the fish that wants that for supper.
Larry

teflon_jones
06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
That is one well fed shiner! I've caught them on small dries, but not on a big popper.

qkalaker
06-21-2007, 10:24 PM
My friends and I fly fish for bluegills a lot every May here in the Finger Lakes. Schools of golden shienrs come into the shallows at dusk that time of year in the areas where we are fishing for bluegills. They are very agressive and easy to catch. We use a foam spider with a peacock herl nymph as a dropper for the 'gills, and get the shiners on either or both flies. They pull pretty good for thier size. Not sure, I think they are spawning at that point.

Quentin
06-21-2007, 10:34 PM
That's a big Golden. I bet you want the fish that wants that for supper.
Larry

That's for sure! After I released it I though, "Hmm . . ., maybe I should have let it swim around on the end of my line for a while."

Scott -- I didn't really think about it until after your comment, but it makes sense that an aggressive feeder would also be very well fed -- as long as it didn't get careless or bite off more than it could chew!

Q

flier
06-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Wonder if there any records. I definately would have livelined that guy for a bit. lol