stretching out commercial leaders [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: stretching out commercial leaders

jero
06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Just about all the commercial leaders I can get access to in the shops in my city are 9 feet long.

Ive been wanting to try out fishing with longer leaders, but Im a bit lazy for making 100% home-made leaders. On the other hand, the shops here dont sell leader kits, instead they will only sell you the whole spools for each diameter... so you end up spending a fortune and having about 10 kilometers of leader material.

Could I just add, say 2-3 feet of tippet to the commercial leader or would that make the tippet extremely weak? Any other solutions?, (for example for a 4X, cuting back an original leader and making the middle and end section longer with 2x and 3x tippet material, then tying back the original tippet)
cheers

Warren
06-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Jero,

I simply add more tippet material if I need a longer leader. You can tie in a section in the center if you like then tie the tippet back on. Seems like a lot of work though. Another thing I do frequently is rebuild a leader. If it gets cut back or a knot tied in it I will cut out the bad part & start with the same size or a slightly finer mono that what I have left & work down from there to the desired size tippet.

There really is no wrong way IMHO to build a leader as song as it correctly turns over the fly & allows it to land in the manner you wish it to land.

DaveSimpson
06-30-2007, 09:07 AM
jero, you could also check the internet stores.. there are many great stores out there which you will find suprisingly cheap!

teflon_jones
06-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Just add 2-3 ft of the same size tippet to the leader. I do it all the time with 12 ft leaders once I use up the last couple of feet and want to get it back to a longer size.