Battenkill Bar Stock [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Battenkill Bar Stock

Smcdermott
06-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Anybody ever use on in the Salt. Got a hand me down from my cousin who never used it. Just curious before I dunk it should I limit it to freshwater use. The drag while not "stop a sub" seems like it would be ok for bass.

Sean

Warren
06-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Sean,

I quote from the 2007 Orvis Catalog:

"Ideal for fresh water, an affordable option for light saltwater"

" Anodized finish Salt water -proof, low maintenance, durable finish"

My question is this. Why wouldn't it work?
What size is it? Must be a IV or a V if it is big enough for salt size rod. What the hell.... let 'er rip:D

Smcdermott
06-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Its a IV which is a pretty darn small reel to begin with. My thoughts were possible corrosion. There a plenty of reels out there that claim to be saltwater safe that aren't.

Warren
06-18-2007, 09:07 PM
only 3 3/8 dia. according to the catalog. Sounds like it would make a dandy seven wt reel for fresh water bass, lake trout & land locked salmon

Dble Haul
06-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Sean, I have one (not sure on the exact size) that's well matched with one of my 9 weight rods, and I have no complaints. I thoroughly rinse and soak it after each saltwater use, and so far so good after about 4 seasons.

Sean Juan
06-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Sean,

I have a V and so far no complaints. The drag is okay, not the strongest but smooth enough. I like that its all open makes it easy to rinse and in a round about way more durable than many reels featuring the "semi" sealed drag. I certainly wish I owned two of them and one less Mach reel.

For some reason I seem to recall a guy saying it was his perfered reel for albie fishing because of the smooth and reliable nature of the drag - but I can't recall who, probably at a show or somewhere.

rhodyflyguy
06-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I've used a V for the past few years, and find it to be a good reel for bass. It's been a good reel. You can increase the max drag by removing the drag knob and tightening the nut that is on there.

Eddie
06-24-2007, 09:38 PM
If you don't need to use it in the salt, I wouldn't. Many have had good luck, but IMHO, I don't think the reel holds up well if used at max drag. I have seen more than a few V's that had the drags fall apart with very little salt water use (drag washers getting sloppy, the drag adjustment stretching out).