flies??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: flies???

Fisher931
06-16-2007, 10:46 PM
im fishing a pond tomorrow that i have never fly fished. and it is kind of a dirty/stained water and im aiming for crappie and sunnies. what flies shall i use??
Comments greatly apreeciated ASAP

flyjkol
06-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Small streamers and wooly worms/buggers in vibrant or shiny colors should do the trick. If you want to mainly target panfish, small poppers are very fun and effective.

South Shore
08-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I'd second the small poppers. I was even using a fairly large Sneaky Pete and had fish take it that I wouldn't have thought could fit it in their mouth.

Don't be afraid to leave it sit for a good 20 or 30 seconds either. I caught a sunfish of about half a pound that way. I thought it was actually a smallish bass and reeled him in rather than just strip line.

BigDave
08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
second the reccomendation for wooly worms. i seem to recall doing well with montana nymphs in crazy colors as well!

Warren
08-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Sunnies will try to inhale a 2/0 bass popper. Those little guys have a lot of gusto. If it was me I would follow above advise and go with the woollies and poppers as well.

millerbrown
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Over the years I've caught a lot of panfish using large wet flies. Anything from large (size 12) soft hackles to standard wets will do the trick especially ant patterns. Two nights ago on the Millers River in central Ma. I caught a large crappie on a size 16 olive nymph. I caught trout that night also but the crappie was a pleasant surprise.

Let us know how you do.

Millerbrown

Galong
08-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Are you fishing from the bank or a boat?

If there are trees and brushes along the bank that you can cast to, I'd try sponge spiders... maybe white since the water is colored. And, as a bonus, I think you'll find sponge spiders are cheaper than poppers... if that matter to you. :cool:

Camoman13
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I would go with a bright dry fly. such as a red,orange, or yellow.

Camoman13
11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Are you fishing from the bank or a boat?

If there are trees and brushes along the bank that you can cast to, I'd try sponge spiders... maybe white since the water is colored. And, as a bonus, I think you'll find sponge spiders are cheaper than poppers... if that matter to you. :cool:
cheap is a good thing:hihi: