Where are the fish? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Where are the fish?

The Thrasher
06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm not hearing good things about the salmon runs on most rivers in Atlantic Canada to date. Few fish in Restigouche and Cascapedia so far? Elsewhere? Are things just late or do we have a problem here?

Fontinalis
06-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I hope that it's picked up since I left Gaspe last week. The York and the Dartmouth offered very tough fishing when I was there between the 6th and 11th with few fish in the rivers. I'd love to know what the current situation is.

snide44
06-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Any word on the Matane River?

Salar36
06-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I was on the Matane on saturday, they started the fish way on thursday Pm (June 14Th), until saturday, 6 salmons were counted, but before they close the dam, an estimation of 40 fish have jumped over, most very big fish, but at least 1 grilse: we missed it on Cap Seize with a dry! For Matane, the situation is normal, we will know more by the end of the month, this river is not an early run river. 2 salmon were caught on saturday, 1 bellow the dam, 1 up river.

We were on the Matapedia on sunday, fishing is very slow, some fish have been seen but warm water doesn't help the success.

News from the Cascapedia mentioned that's very slow there too, same for the Bonnie, with only 5 salmons caught since the opening, all within the last 3-4 days.

It seems the run is late everywhere, the most logical reason is an exceptional situation with ice fields in the straight of Belle Isle, something we have seen couple times in the past particularly in 2002 and in 1991.

Venture
06-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Snide44, Are you the son of famous Lori Snider who fished almost every inch of the Matane in his day along with Cole Wile and Bob Carol? If so, you may remember me from the days of camping on Chasse's farm, perhaps 30 years ago. I camped in the back field near where Bob Carol used to set up.

Pierre, Good to hear that you still are with us. I for sure will bump into you this year.

Salar 33
06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I have just returned from a week on the Grande Cascapedia and Bonaventure. The fishing was great. The catching was not. Slow as 2002 and very hot sunny weather. Water temps on the GC and Bonnie are still in the mid 50's but the Matapedia is close to 67 already. She will push 70 this week if the weather remains the same. I know you are watching the weather forecasts as I do but when the forecast says it is 75 in New Richmond it it has been as high as 93 away from the bay. If it does not rain soon there will be real trouble. The Grande is 2 feet below normal for this time and the other rivers are in the same situation. We had mid July conditions on the 15th of June.

There is a small run in progress on the Matapedia. I saw 20 fish below the bridge in town on Saturday night. These fish were in the 10 to 15 pound class and one was a larger fish that we expect to see on the early run. This tells me that the normal mid run has started and should build toward the end of the month as usual.(pray for rain) I don't think that there are many in the river yet and water temps are going to play a big factor in the fish taking.

If it is not the ice, as every one is blaming this year, and the big ones don't come soon I am afraid that the large size early fish will be very scarce on the beds this fall. Causapscal numbers are very low and Glen Emma is reporting only a small number landed. R.S.C. reports are of catches below 20 fish so far. I floated both branches of the Grande Cascapedia as well as B4 on the Bonnie and did not see a fish in crystal clear low water conditions. We did see three fish on the Bonnie B-3 and they were not the larger fish. Reports after floating the entire Pitite was that seven fish were spotted. A few were fished but would not take.

So, for the week in a party of three, we had one fish of 33 pounds from pool 100 of the Salmon branch on the Grande. One of us is happy and it is not me.

Theory 1- The early run of large females has happened and they are very few in number.

Theory 2- The early run of large females has been held up by the ice pack and we will see them after the next good rain.

Can anyone think of what theory 3 might be?

C.R.O.

wrke
06-18-2007, 02:21 PM
S33
Sorry to hear . . . I head to those rivers tomorrow for a week. Sure hope it changes.
Bill

Salar36
06-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Salar33

Nobody expected 2007 to be a very good year for very big fish, since 2006 was a bit low for salmon in the 13-14 pounds range (2 years). But better than what we see until now...I am still confident that we will have some surprise in the next couple weeks, like we had in 2002 (the Causapscal had seen 50% of the run in the beginning of july rather than beginning june) or 1991 (lot of 20-30 pounds in mid July), when the same ice situation arrived.

My biggest concern at this point is: will we have water to allow these fish to go upriver? This is not critical yet, but we fished in 72 degres water saturday...

The Thrasher
06-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Umm. I don't want to be alarmist, but Environment Canada's marine ice site shows normal ice cover in the Strait of Belle Isle, though some increased ice each side of the entrance to the strait from the open ocean. If the link doesn't show, you can easily get to it from the Env. Canada weather site.

<http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/prods/WIS57DPTCT/20070611000000_WIS57DPTCT_0003167049.gif>

Str. Belle Isle ice cover is < 1/10 WMO colour concentration (whatever that is), which is the lowest category above open water.

Green Ghost
06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
One look at CGRMP.com statistics and one can see they are either late, or not on average for the last couple years. Theory 1?, Theory 2? How about those of you who have been out to the three main Gaspe (proper) rivers? Anyone care to elaborate on numbers of fish you have seen??

Jere Eshelman
06-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Fished the week 6/12-6/17. Mostly public water. Fished over fish every day. New moon... HOT!!...Caplin Rolling...No takers for me. One strike by sea run brookie...
Dry fly...Landed 17". Others caught fish, but it was tough to find a taker, and I just can't cover much ground any more...although I do cover the water that I'm fishing.
Cooling back down this week...better fishing ahead.

wrke
06-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, there's at least one 18 lb bright hen returned to the Bonnie today.
Bill

juro
06-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Schweet!

Are you staying with Glen?

wrke
06-22-2007, 08:32 PM
not talking, but a 30-35 lb silver blue bright dancer released today. Too much info already.
B

wrke
06-22-2007, 08:50 PM
here tis
enough
B

Salar-1
06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Salar-33
Just got in from 2nd trip to the Matapedia and Causap.The reason that there were "20" fish at the Mat. bridge was due to the nets being lifted on Thurs. and Fri (possibly Fri. and sat.(?) ) of last week . We ran into that run ,on the Causap. on Tues :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) !! and a few other much bigger fish !!
All fish caught and MOST seen in the Causap.[ had net marks on them . One poor bugger had 4 and onother 3 .The Listujuc band are on an agenda and put nets in early ,in end of May instead of the previous 15th of June. A friend of mine in Listujuc although we did discuss events at length wouldn't venture much , did mention the "Catch Phrase".
One of the Miramichi rivers (NB)had good fishing at beginning of this week but not much else.
BTW: Our measurements showed temps on the Matapedia on Sun. were 51 in AM and 56 in evening .Tues ,50 on Causap early in AM and 57 in PM .levels on Matapedia good for this time a yr and on Causap medium. That being said, they ARE dropping dramatically .
Cheers

tie-dye-fly-guy
06-22-2007, 10:42 PM
nice to see the fishing improve. i will record the date for perhaps a future trip. glad to see your gettin into em. whats for confident fly? nice to share the love on net in near real time.

DGEL
06-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Fisihng in Newfoundland has been very slow, with very few fish in the early run rivers in Bay St. George. Check the Spawn web site for river reports

http://www.spawn1.ca/

Just back from a week out west, and although there were fish in the rivers, they were scarce, and pretty much everyone I talked to suggested that there were very few fish. Certainly some very experienced anglers were havng some blank days/ weeks. Here's hoping the runs are just late- the other alternative is that something serious has happened at sea with a very high mortality.

Canadianflyfish
06-26-2007, 07:15 PM
We fished the 19-22 on the York and the Dartmouth.
First day I lost one to a rock after 2 minutes on the upper York.
Lost another on Sector 9 next day after 2 mins... hook pulled out.
Caught a 12lber about 2 hrs later.
Nothing one day.
The last day my fishing partner lost a 20+ fish in the morning when his fancy hand tied leader broke. Should not have happened IMHO. I quickly switched mine to the good old knotless 12lb Maxima, and landed a 24 lber at the end of the day on the same pool.
We could count around 8 Salmon in some pools, and no Salmon in others that have previously held fish. The two beavers in Garry's was not helping.
Overall it was a good trip.
It helped a lot when the rains came on the 21-22 and the temps cooled. Dropped the water temps about 7 degrees. I was measuring 53 in the Dartmouth.
Seems to be fewer fish this year, however as far as catching goes it was one of our better trips.