First Keeper [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First Keeper

Warren
06-13-2007, 09:00 PM
For three years I have been fly fishing for Stripers and have yet to land a 28 inch fish. Came close a few times and lost more than one big one for one reason or the other.
The journey thus far has been hampered by bad weather, canceled trips, failed knots, work, bad timing , equipment failure, You name it!

Today my friend & guide Capt'n John Lockwood had a charter cancel. I had a job delay, so we headed for Newburyport Massachusetts & Joppa Flats for a little R&D as he calls it. Despite the NOAA forecast for 25+ knot winds. & rough seas.

We drove over the bridge at the harbor & drove down along the road that runs along the flats & said "looks OK" . For some unexplained reason, he left his Jones Bros 20 footer home & we brought a 20 foot tiller steer Lund Alaskan tin can with us. I guess we did not really expect to launch & figured the lighter boat is easier to tow.

Never the less we launched and started to drift/ get blown around the flats. We were onto rising bass almost immediately. With a little thought about boat position we managed to cast OK despite the wind. John caught a couple of shoolies & then I hooked up for a few. John then landed & released a 32 incher. On the next Drift/blow around I landed a 28 incher. Finally a keeper size fish. Which I did keep for the grill in celebration.

We also hooked into some unexpected Blues, which of course broke us off. we put on a fifty Lb floro bite tippit and John landed one. Right after that, the tide changed & started going out, the fishing slowed. As the afternoon progressed, the wind increased and the waves got bigger, so we decided to call it day about 2:30 pm. The wind was blowing us upstream on the outgoing tide and we had to kneel in the boat to cast.

For a terrible day it sure turned out good

RayStachelek
06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Your're over the preverbal wall. Congrats...... The next one should be easier.

Any digitals?

Warren
06-14-2007, 05:29 AM
No Pics Ray,
To be honest with you the thought never crossed our minds. I did have my camera too

mikez
06-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Good job! :smokin:
I agree, the next one will be easier.

Smcdermott
06-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Congrats Warren. My guess is you are do for a slob.

Sean