Southern VT- West Dover & Wilmington advice? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Southern VT- West Dover & Wilmington advice?

mcurtiss
06-13-2007, 06:44 PM
So we're headed to West Dover, VT for a week of bumming about. It's been more than a few years that I've fished that area, so I'm not so sure what patterns and what areas are good places to fish.

We'll be within walking distance of the Northern Branch of the Deerfield River and can drive to Lake Whitingham as well as the West River along Route 30 (i think that's it- the one that goes from Brattleboro towards Manchester).

I'd love some advice on what patterns I might use as well as good general areas to try out. I don't think I can really go wrong with everything in the area, but I thought I'd ask around. Thanks!

Warren
06-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Mcurtiss,

Yes the West river is the river that runs from somewhere up by Manchester & ends at the Connecticut river in Brattleboro. Rt 30 is the highway

It has been eons it seems since I fished the Deerfield up that far. And don't ever recall fly fishing it above Whitingham so I cannot give you any advise as to what bugs may be around.
I'll bet a few streamers, Black nosed dace, Olive woolly bugger, maybe a caddis dry fly or maybe a stone fly nymph this time of year will get you some results.

I see people fishing all along the Deefield from where it crosses Rt 9 all the way to the reservoir. Where the river flattens out just before the reservoir seems to be a popular spot. We used to spin fish the section from rt 9 all the way up to the dam where the wooden caterpillar pipe starts back in the late 70's with some good results. Now a days I don't know what to expect.

mcurtiss
06-14-2007, 09:50 PM
thanks for the reply. i've heard good things about the area where the deerfield meets reservoir as well. a flats of sorts.