9/27 PI Morning [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 9/27 PI Morning

Lefty
09-27-2000, 10:29 AM
Hit the South Jetty with Mr Sully this am to see hundreds of birds working over.......dohh mackerel. I'd like to congratulate Mr. Sully on his first Shore-caught Mack: a fine strapping bull of about 14". Plenty of other birds and fish activity going on in the channel. Only saw one boat out there, a center console. Plenty of bait still around, water warm still, and huge surf. Talked to Kay at Surfland, says yesterday during the rain storm, high tide along the beachfront was producing well. Wish I was there. (does this mean the onshore blow bait push theory was right?)
Oh well, late next week the high tides return. One bad blow and the whole game could be over up there.

TerryW

juro
09-27-2000, 01:27 PM
Macks for the table are a love/hate thing - I happen to like them if cleaned quick and grilled.

What's the consensus - macks... are they what's for dinner?

i'm so outta here
09-27-2000, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><hr>What's the consensus - macks... are they what's for dinner?<hr></blockquote>

Only if you have stripes running down your side or a mouthful of razor sharp, leader cutting teeth.

Seriously, I've only ever had one kind of mackerel I like. It was down in Venezuela - grilled King, served with the head still on, in a cheap little side cafe on Margarita Island. Maybe it was because I had gone 24 hours without eating (liquid diet), but that was the best eating fish I have ever had!

Marvin, how good were those Spanish you took home from B2K?

Terry - we're all doing a little chant to keep the bass on the No. Shore for you guys http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Happy.gif

juro
09-27-2000, 02:33 PM
Where I do like an occasional atlantic, I *love* spanish and kings - they are a breed apart. I like atlantics about as much as bluefish, but like spanish even better than mahi-mahi and for sashimi... I'll take a spanish for sure. Atlantics need to be pickled in vinegar (so are not raw) even for professional sushi shops... I think they are too gamey for plain raw use.

I am definitely going to capitalize on spanish for the table next year!

ssully
09-27-2000, 08:37 PM
To Terry from Toastboy,

Are you ready?

I guess it was just a MerryMACK clave. DOH! http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif