Wilmington, NC Redfish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wilmington, NC Redfish

JTWG
06-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm headed down to Ocean Isle beach in July. Does anyone know any good spots for Redfish b/w there and Wilmington? Do i need a boat or can i use a kayak? Trying to do some early research on this.

Anyone use a good guide down there?

Thanks,
JT

petevicar
06-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Sorry JT
I have not been there. Please write a report when you get back.

Pete

Swalt
06-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I have been fishing that area for over 30 years, mostly during family vacations, but very little of it has been fly fishing. It is not ideal for fly fishing especially that time of year. Redfish are hard to come by even with live shrimp. The few we have caught have been down at the Sunset Beach Bridge. I have never used a guide there but if you contacted the Ocean Isle Fishing Center, just google it, they would be able to provide you with the most information. Capt Brant has been fishing that area for a long time but he heads out for Kings etc. I think they could put you up with a guide that does inshore fishing.

The Wilmington and Southport areas are better and about an hour away but again, July is not the best time of year to be hunting redfish here. I do not know any guides in the Wilmington area but I am sure there are some. There are creeks and a few flats in the South Port/Bald Head Island area and probably someone that could guide you there but I don't know who to contact.

Wish I could be of more help to you.

capt_gordon
06-11-2007, 04:41 PM
See my reply on the other board.