Martha's Vineyard Catch & Release [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Martha's Vineyard Catch & Release

jfbasser
06-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Fished the MV Catch & Release Fly Tournament this past Saturday night with Adrian and another four fellas to make up a six man team. Great time, as well as sleepless...everyone should give it a try if they get a chance. We represented the "Canal Flyrodders".

Adrian
06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
This really is a class act tournament run by the MV Rod and Gun club.

The biggest prize is bragging rights and the emphasis is on fun.

There were a lot of familiar faces over there...Tom Fay from Stripers Forever, John Collet from Temple Fork, Joey Cordierro from Flatwingville ....

We made the trip over on Friday and came upon a fishy looking spot about ten minutes South of the Oak Bluffs ferry terminal. There were some very large bass cruising the flats :)

Saturday was the main event from 7:00 pm until 2:00 am.

After a lot of strategizing, recon and general BS, Ron, Todd, Alan and I decided to fish Lobsterville beach whilst John and Scott elected to fish Menemsha. We were on site in plenty of time and conditions looked perfect.

Loads of two inch sandeels, a nice current, mild overcast sky and a smooth ripple on the water - just about perfect.

After half an hour without a bump or even a sign of a fish, we were beginging to have doubts about our choice of spot. Maybe Basser was right after all? It didn't help when someone shouted, "not to worry boys, only another six hours and twney-five minutes to go" :rolleyes:

Todd tries to cheer us up by jokingly exclaiming, "boy, we're really hamering them tonight !!!" :hihi:

Several anglers had turned up earlier but many started to move out.

There was this one guy standing alone on the shore who had been there for quite some time but hadn't even made a cast.

Alan decided to go chat to him whilst the "brain trust" huddled and considered alternative strategies.

Alan comes back and reports that the solo angler won the tournament four years previously at this very spot. He explained that it usually doesn't get going here until after dark and sure enough, as we looked up there was a swirl and then another. By the time I got back in the water Todd's reel was screeming and both Ron and Alan hooked up in short order. My third cast produced a nice fish of 30 inches. All of the fish were quality. Nothing under twenty six inches and several keepers between the four of us. At one point all four rods were bent.

Fly pattern or presentation style seemed to be irrelevant.

I had a blast fishing a small black gurgler that produced some epic strikes dead drifted in the current.

Alan was top rod with stripped flies on a full sinking line.

Todd had the best fish at 34 inches but lost another that would have won the biggest fish prize. He was fishing intermediate with a four inch deceiver.

The action was solid with fish breaking all around us for about an hour and a half.
Oddly enough, nobody else was hooking up so we had obviously 'lucked out' on the prime spot.

The bite vanished as fast as it had appeared when the breeze suddenly turned North and kicked up pretty strong. Temperatures dropped and that was it.

Sorry, no pics of fish - we were too busy hooking up. In fact, we were so busy that we failed to measure the girth of Todd's 34 incher. Had we done so he could well have taken biggest fish prize with that fish.

This was my first trip to MV and it definitely won't be my last. There is an infinite variety of fishing terrain. Being an Island, there are fishable conditions in any weather short of a hurricane. Another big plus, access is some of the best I have seen in the North East.

We didn't win any grand prizes but we had a blast and made a lot of new friends in the process.

I would say MV holds some serious clave possibilities :smokin:

Slinger
06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
I told John, Dogfish, new moon of june, falling water all night, squid fly on a sinker. Some people just don`t know good advice when they hear it. But that place will turn off like a switch when the wind goes north.
I hear I missed a real good time. Sure would have liked to meet up with Blackie again, shops not the same without him. And Adrian is allways a blast to fish with.
Slinger

jfbasser
06-12-2007, 05:05 AM
Team Photo minus the Cameraman, Basser :smokin:

Sorry you couldn't make it Slinger, It was a great time:frown:

FredA
06-12-2007, 06:14 AM
Great report. Looks like a good time was had by all.

jfbasser
06-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Loads of two inch sandeels, a nice current, mild overcast sky and a smooth ripple on the water - just about perfect.

After half an hour without a bump or even a sign of a fish, we were beginging to have doubts about our choice of spot. Maybe Basser was right after all? It didn't help when someone shouted, "not to worry boys, only another six hours and twney-five minutes to go" :rolleyes:

Todd tries to cheer us up by jokingly exclaiming, "boy, we're really hamering them tonight !!!" :hihi:

Several anglers had turned up earlier but many started to move out.

There was this one guy standing alone on the shore who had been there for quite some time but hadn't even made a cast.

Alan decided to go chat to him whilst the "brain trust" huddled and considered alternative strategies.

:smokin:

At Menemsha things started out quietly as well.

At about 7 pm the beach was under full assault by flyfisherman and plug casters.

I said to myself " Things are looking up"

Plug casters were locals and declared that the place had been lighting up at 7:30 every night.

I was wondering if that would be early enough to win our team side wager on first fish of the night.

7:30 came and went and so did some of the fisherman.

On the advice of a nearby Angler we held our ground.

At about 8:15 it happened...beaches dimpling with bait,,,swirls on the bait, Seagulls diving so close to me that I took some spray in the face....but no love...
Blackie tried every fly and retrieve in the box and I was flailing away with a big squid fly......

Tried some snakes after dark to no avail and then our wind went North and we moved on:smokin: