Metolius Threatened by Resort Development [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Metolius Threatened by Resort Development

Eric
06-06-2007, 03:43 PM
The Metolius River is one of the most lovely jewels in the crown of Oregon's scenic wonders. Spring fed, limpid and clear over its course, it's home to Redbands, Rainbows, Bull Trout, Whitefish, and all the associated life of a pure mountain stream.

Got this today from the Native Fish Society:

"The owners of two land speculation properties in the Metolius and Whychus watersheds have asked Jefferson County for approval to develop two destination resorts and will receive it unless Oregon takes action. Because of the exceptional qualities of the Metolius, Senator Ben Westlund has led an effort in the Oregon Legislature to place an additional exception in the authority given by the State to Counties to approve destination resorts. This exception, SB 30B, precludes destination resorts in the Metolius watershed and a small portion of the Whychus. It passed the Senate by a 19 to 11 vote, and now faces a tougher process in the House."

For more background, vide http://www.friends.org/issues/M37/documents/SB30%20Oregonian.pdf

I hope all readers from Oregon, or all who travel to our state, or care about such special places, would write in support of SB 30B. We need to stand up and be counted on this.

Here's a list of Oregon representatives:

"[NFS]– you can select your own Rep’s address from the list or copy and paste the whole list to send messages to all 60 Reps at once. If you send a letter to your own rep and not to the entire list, make sure to copy House leadership, namely Reps. Hunt ( rep.davehunt@state.or.us ) Merkley ( rep.jeffmerkley@state.or.us ) and Rosenbaum ( rep.dianerosenbaum@state.or.us )."

(More detailed contact information is available at http://www.leg.state.or.us/house .)

rep.jeffbarker@state.or.us , rep.philbarnhart@state.or.us , rep.vickiberger@state.or.us , rep.terrybeyer@state.or.us , rep.suzannebonamici@state.or.us , rep.deborahboone@state.or.us , rep.brianboquist@state.or.us , rep.scottbruun@state.or.us , rep.peterbuckley@state.or.us , rep.chuckburley@state.or.us , rep.tombutler@state.or.us , rep.kevincameron@state.or.us , rep.bencannon@state.or.us , rep.brianclem@state.or.us , rep.jeancowan@state.or.us , rep.johndallum@state.or.us , rep.jackiedingfelder@state.or.us , rep.chrisedwards@state.or.us , rep.davidedwards@state.or.us , rep.salesquivel@state.or.us , rep.lindaflores@state.or.us , rep.larrygalizio@state.or.us , rep.billgarrard@state.or.us , rep.saragelser@state.or.us , rep.vicgilliam@state.or.us , rep.georgegilman@state.or.us , rep.fredgirod@state.or.us , rep.mitchgreenlick@state.or.us , rep.brucehanna@state.or.us , rep.paulholvey@state.or.us , rep.davehunt@state.or.us , rep.bobjenson@state.or.us , rep.bettykomp@state.or.us , rep.tinakotek@state.or.us , rep.waynekrieger@state.or.us , rep.jerrykrummel@state.or.us , rep.johnlim@state.or.us , rep.gregmacpherson@state.or.us , rep.ronmaurer@state.or.us , rep.jeffmerkley@state.or.us , rep.karenminnis@state.or.us , rep.susanmorgan@state.or.us , rep.nancynathanson@state.or.us , rep.donnanelson@state.or.us , rep.marynolan@state.or.us , rep.andyolson@state.or.us , rep.tobiasread@state.or.us , rep.dennisrichardson@state.or.us , rep.chuckriley@state.or.us , rep.arnieroblan@state.or.us , rep.dianerosenbaum@state.or.us , rep.mikeschaufler@state.or.us , rep.waynescott@state.or.us , rep.chipshields@state.or.us , rep.gregsmith@state.or.us , rep.pattismith@state.or.us , rep.kimthatcher@state.or.us , rep.carolyntomei@state.or.us , rep.genewhisnant@state.or.us , rep.bradwitt@state.or.us

Sample Letter:

Dear Representative Cowan,

My first trip to the Metolius River was back in the 40's when my parents took me there for a family vacation. My most recent trip to the river was last week in the company of my wife and children. Over the decades, we have come to appreciate more and more the qualities of the Metolius basin: a piece of Oregon that has remained the same for generations. I hope it will be there as it is now for generations to come.

I feel the proposed development of a destination resort, reputedly the largest in Oregon, would threaten the special qualities of the basin and impact severely the natural resources of the region. Ground water siphoned off for the needs of the resort could very well lead to reduced flows from the springs that supply the river. This in turn would impact the fishery -- a particular concern not only to anglers, such as myself, but also those concerned with the fragile bull trout population. This river, amid some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in Oregon, attracts not only anglers, but also hikers, photographers, campers, eco-tourists, and other recreationists who value the tranquility and range of low-impact outdoor opportunities the basin affords.

I feel any threat to impact this special, unique spot in Oregon should be met head-on. I urge your support of the intent of SB 30; I would also hope you would urge your colleagues in the House to do likewise.

Respectfully,

Eric