Montauk Point State Park [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Montauk Point State Park

worstcaster
06-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Planning on going to Montauk point 6/18-6/20, to do some surf fishing. Does anyone know if camping is allowed at the state park or anywhere near by? I have tried phone calls and e-mail, but the DEC regional office hasn't gotten back to me. Also any suggested patterns or pressintation tips would be appreciated.

Whiplash
06-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Try Hither hills state park about 7 miles from the point. Nice place Good fish right across the beach frontph# 631 668 2554. Too bad I'll be missing you by a day , I'm heading down wed the 13th returning the 18th. Last year when I was down I did fairly well along the beach front with 5-8lb blues during the day . At night I went big flies and deep for the bass. I have a place in Sag Harbor and spent a lot of time fishing Shelter Island sound with a SOT and did really well on bass, weaks
and fluke -its very shallow. Good luck

worstcaster
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for replying and the tips. Good luck on your trip.

Whiplash
06-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Worstcaster how was your trip, Any luck fishing and camping?
I did fairly well on mine . The ocean front at Hither Hills was really slow 2 blues for 4 days but the Peconic bay Shelter Island sound produced a mixed bag of Bass, weakfish, blues and a fluke. Bass to 32" (only 2) blues up to 29" (way too many )weaks ( 4 between 21 & 29" and a 22" fluke all at either dusk or dawn. All along Long beach in Noyac and by the Shelter Island Ferry docks. All on black snake flies. Made the mistake of heading down to Montauk on Sat night . Looked like they were giving away fish Parking lot was packed. Moved down to Ditch Plains around the rocks and caught 6 fish all on black bottle plugs 28 " the biggest. All in all a good trip except for the night we got into the local wines :Eyecrazy: Good but way too expensive.