older STH bonefish reel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: older STH bonefish reel

terry walsh
05-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I recently purchased a used rod and reel outfit and have what appears to be an older STH reel which I would like more information on. I cannot find much information on the web about it. Perhaps one of you gentlemen are familiar with this reel. It is labeled as an LL Bean signature bonefish reel. It is clearly an STH, made in Argentina and seems to be high quality. I have a few old STH reels and I recognise the STH style. It has a lever type drag and is set up for right hand retrieve. I would like to change it to left hand retrieve. Does anyone know how to do this or have any other info on this reel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Terry

flytyer
05-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Terry,

I have been a fan of STH reels for some 16 years. Although I don't have one of the reels you described, I think all of the STH reels have a clutch gear located at the bottom of the reel spindle which is used to provide for either right or left-hand retrieve. To change it from left to right hand (or vise-versa), you need to pull the metal cone washer up and off the spindle that holds the clutch gear in place. Once the metal cone washer (which you need to re-use so don't lose it) is off the spindle, pull the clutch gear up and off the spindle and re-install it reversed of the way you took it off. Then put the cone washer back on.

If you have trouble getting the cone washer or clutch gear off the spindle, use a bodkin or needle to help move it up the spindle to where you can grasp it with your fingers.

terry walsh
05-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Simplicity itself! Thank you, Flytyer, that's all I needed to do. This reel is a bit of a mystery to me. I could find only one reference to it on an Argentine site, the reel is beautifully made, engraved and has a fantastic drag mechanism. I wish I could find out more. Terry

flytyer
05-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Terry,

Yes, the STH reels are beautifully made and have great drag systems, which is why I own 9 of them. Mine all are the DDR Cassette reels and I have them in sizes 2,3, and 4. I've never figured out why folks have shyied away from STH.