Brit Invasion Cape Cod 2007 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Brit Invasion Cape Cod 2007

Mike Oliver
05-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Guys the scouting party led by Austin Goldsmith arrive this week. My motley crew of three a week tomorrow. Follwed by the heavy horse of Jamie and Binksey and their batmen

I have requested that all the guys bring plenty of English tea so we can at least give you a cup of decent hot. I intend to bring my Irish Kelly Kettle to make the tea in. A wonderful piece of Irish engineering. Google it up for details.

Hope the fishing remains hot. It's unbearable reading the fishing reports and being 3000 miles away from the action.

Tight lines

Mike

barramundi-uk
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I cant wait!! Its blowing a Gale from the North and lashing with rain . I hope the bad weather stays here .

Colin ( The tall scotsman that catches all the fish) and I , the shortarsed Brit , fly in on Wednesday lunchtime. The plan is to head to Rhode Island first , hopefully for a little worming . Then the others arrive on Saturday . We have various charters and guides arranged plus a couple of Days Solo. We have a pretty large house in Harwich so it should be great fun. We managed to spread our wings pretty well last year , hopefully we learn more and make more friends.

It will be nice to bump into the same old faces as last year. I really hope we can meet that star . Arthur. What a guy ! 75 Years old and still yanking the cows out on his CND double hander. I wonder if anyone else reading this post knows the guy?

Cheers - see you soon

Austen

striblue
05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Looking forward to seeing you guys and casting some lines.

Adrian
05-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Arthur is our "roomie" that shares the cottage with us in Chatham May and June. He is there this season, in fine fettle and hauling keepers out on his trusty CND 11/11. :smokin:

I'll be on the Cape this next week-end starting Friday June 1st.

We should be able to hook up.

petevicar
05-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Hi

I will be arriving on Tuesday afternoon.
It will be great to meet a few friends that I have only met on my keyboard.

I'll be the guy propping up the bar in the Squire.

I hope to see some of you there.

Pete

Stevo
05-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to seeing you guys and casting some lines.

Will the Fez be there John?
I'll be bringing along a bottle of Scotlands finest that'll need sharing! :smokin:

barramundi-uk
05-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Guys the scouting party led by Austin Goldsmith arrive this week. My motley crew of three a week tomorrow. Follwed by the heavy horse of Jamie and Binksey and their batmen

I have requested that all the guys bring plenty of English tea so we can at least give you a cup of decent hot. I intend to bring my Irish Kelly Kettle to make the tea in. A wonderful piece of Irish engineering. Google it up for details.

Hope the fishing remains hot. It's unbearable reading the fishing reports and being 3000 miles away from the action.

Tight lines

Mike

Please send my regards to Arthur ( or King Arthur as Colin and I named him) I hope we will bump into him and maybee get him a Pizza as its our round

Austen

striblue
05-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Stevo, The Fez never leaves CAC.... a highly collectable item with many attempted thefts. It must be guarded with your lives..;)

Adrian
05-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Change of plan for me - I got pulled into a sales "Offsite" that has me away from home this week so I need to be home this w/e. :frown:

The following week-end I'm on MV :smokin: but I will make it to the Cape in time for the "main invasion force"!

I should be there for Friday June 15th.

jamie
05-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Black tea at bedtime in lieu of missing a single malt Mike. Otherwise coffee for me.

Just got back from a weekend fishing the west coast of Ireland - hell that is beautiful country there.

14 days until I return 'home'.

Goose-uk
05-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi Y'all
I'm over with Jamie, Steve and Rupe in 14 day's and I just can't wait. The weather where I live on the Kent coast is pants at the moment.
I should have all my flies tied by now but havenít had the time as yet to even start tying. Might have to buy some in from The Bear's Den. What patterns should I go for?

Malcolm

Mike Oliver
05-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Heh.

Goose I been tying for England. Unless the Blues tear my flies apart I may have a fistful left over. I will bump into you as you get in on the 13th, By then if the fishing stays as hot as it has been. ( some hope) I will be all fished out, might as well have my rods as well.

Don't buy flies, Most of the shop ones are pretty grim. Well the ones you get over here are anyway. But main problem is you can't buy what you really want. I have only being tying now some 8 weeks and for me there is no way I am going back to shop purchased flies.

14 days you have loads of time. In 9 days I have built two single hander fly rods and am just about to finish of a two hander. In fact I have built 4 rods as I accidentally built a 10 wt by mistake when I had one already. This drove me behond being manic I can tell you. Came very close to trashing the offending 10 wt out of shear frustration,

I leave this Sunday but Sunday morning will still see me making tackle or tying some must have fly that will pobably never see the light of day or darkness of night.
I guess you are someone else I have to buy a beer for in this place called Squires. Seems like half of America's Fly Boys eat and drink in there. Place is going to be awful busy this June. Like you I am just bursting to get to the Cape.

Thanks for all the posts from the Guys above. Hope to meet you all sometime during my trip.

Tight Lines and well bent rods

Mikey.O.

Goose-uk
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Mike
Thanks for the kind offer of flies.

As for the Squires, it's the best place in town and they do mean chowder, oh and I'll have a G & T, ice and a slice thanks.

Mike Oliver
05-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Goose, What the hell you doing posting at this time. It's ten after one in the morning. I am only here as I can't sleep and so the wife has turfed me out of bed again and I am with the dog for company.
It's good to know that even when you get post 50 the excitement does not leave you of a pending fishing adventure.
you might as well be tying if you can't sleep.

Cheers

Mike

PopnesetBay
05-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Has anyone posted on a calendar when the various "Regiments" of the "League of British Stripah Swipahs" will be on Cape Cod? Is there a day when all will be here? If so, a combined invasion of the "Squire" might make for a afternoon to be remembered, in many ways. I am sure that several of the "Native Stripah Swipahs" could also be pressed into service to make the day even more memorable.

Stevo
05-31-2007, 03:37 AM
I think Wednesday 13th & Thursday 14th June respectively are the two dates that we all overlap. One or even both of these evenings will probably see The Squire well & truely invaded by The Red Coats... Lock up your daughters! :chuckle:

John Morin: I would like to pre-book an evening of Fez wearing, if that's at all possible my fine sir?
I assume the entrance fee is still a bottle of 18 year+ vintage single malt? :smokin:

Alun
05-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Those dates are in the diary. May be a late start the following morning though

jamie
05-31-2007, 04:07 AM
I think the evening of the 13th seems to be the one where most visits will coincide. Unfortunately Pete "The Whicker" Vicar, will have headed back to Europe by then in time for his daughters birthday.

Mike Oliver
05-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Jamie,

That's one of the worst cases of bad timing I have ever heared of.
I am up for a beer or two on the 13th or 14th, but Guys If I am on fish, I will be late not might be, will be. So please cut the second Brit party a tad of slack if we are late on parade.
I can get totaled any time I like over hear but what I can't do is fill my boots with Stripers.

Driven

flydoc
05-31-2007, 03:01 PM
I'll try to show up as the "colonial representative"- my ancestors having come across a few boats after the Mayflower- think my mother's aunt managed to track down from who/where her side is descended from over there.
Flydoc

striblue
06-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Stevo...you are correct.... see you guys soon.:smokin:

jamie
06-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Had a close one on the motorbike this morning with a little slidy action down the road, with the bike beside me. A car was kind enough to stop me sliding, by acting as an arresting hook. Bruising, some grazes, a badly sprained ankle and some ligament damage. Relieved when the x-rays came back clear - still on for the Cape.

Bike looked worse off.

jimS
06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Jamie, sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you are 100 per cent by the time you arrive on the Cape. Ankle and ligament problems can be debilitating for a flats rat. My son, Brad, went through knee surgery last year after dumping his bike to miss a deer. Keep well.

flydoc
06-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Jim- and not to forget Chris's ankle woes....glad to see him back in action during the Clave. Maybe I'll be able to drag him back here in the late fall/winter for some waterfowling action;)
Flydoc

Rupe
06-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Near miss!

OK, got a bunch of deceivers, clousers (from 4 to 1/0) in bucktail (various colours) and some deep eels. Add to that some creasies, gurglers and some candies.

I'm thinking that should have me covered. I would have mentioned my bunker patterns, but they've had a 'liberal' coating of epoxy to get the correct profile, so they're, well, a bit sh1t, so they don't count. I think they'll be eaten, though maybe only at night.

Should anything else be added?

TV wise its been Rambo III tonight followed by Orca - Killer Whale.

Quality.

FishHawk
06-02-2007, 04:53 AM
Jamie careful out there. Glad your ok. We'll tip a few when we see you. A "wee dram" for sure. If it's any consolation. Walt from Calf. walked and fished on crutches !! Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him . Cheers. FishHawk

flydoc
06-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Having fished with Jamie and Adrian during "Hurricane Adrian" the Friday of the Clave, I'm not suprised Jamie came through the accident with only a few scrapes and bruises....those Brits are indestructible!!!
Flydoc

Sephon
06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the bike accident, although I'm glad everything turned out well.

Doc,
The ankle is healing well, it's just taking some time. I plan on coming up this fall, when I get vacation, we are most definitely on for some great waterfowl action.

I'm coming up on Father's day weekend, see ya guys soon.

-Chris

jamie
06-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Heard from Austen (Barramundi) this morning. He had a few keepers and amongst them a 30lber from the surf last night and was too stoked to hit the sack. It must have been 3.30am US time when he called.

jimS
06-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Jamie, saw Austen and Colin a couple of days ago. They hit the worm hatch on Rhode Island, lots of fish, but small, according to them. A 30lb fish is awesome! Hope he took lots of pics. See ya soon. I'm in Tampa, but will be back on the weekend to see if the migration is still in full swing on the outside. It was pretty good a couple of days ago, but no 30 pounders, but keeper fish.

petevicar
06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
I am now back in Europe.
I had a good time it was great to meet Juro and Dave and to see Lou and Joe again. It's shame that I didn't bump into anyone else.

Dave
I hope you made it to your party on Saturday and are still not wandering around the streets of Chatham.

I now need to give my liver a ferw days rest.

Pete

juro
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Pete -

You are a true forum warrior and diplomat and it was an extreme pleasure to hang out and tip a few with you. I will someday visit you in Germany, and yes I will heed your rule on the one I must avoid. :)

Thank you for taking the moderator role on. I am certain your experiences and stories will enhance our reading going forward.

Cheers, with both eyes wide open.

Juro

Dave17
06-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Amen to that! The party was a huge success and I made it on time so I was able to keep myself out of the chateau bow-wow.

That was a top notch weekend on the Cape and one hell of a Friday night at the squi-ah:smokin: :lildevl: !

Pete it was great to meet you, I hope the fishing worked out well for the rest of your time there. It killed me to have to leave on Saturday with the surf down and that bluebird sky. I'm wondering how Lou and Joe did for the rest of the weekend as well........

jamie
06-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Checked in; so Stevo, Goose, Rupe and Jamie are Cape side tomorrow. Some refreshments in the Squire early evening and then off fishing.

juro
06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Hide the women and children, tie out the dog and screw down the furniture!! ;)

I look forward to a proper welcome at the Squire on the weekend :smokin:

striblue
06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Looking forward to this... I will be down Thursday night and will meet Fish hawk at CAC Friday night and plan to be out at the Rip Ryder with Bill and whoeverer else Saturday Morn......

PopnesetBay
06-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Is there a "mini clave" developing for this weekend??? I will be in Mashpee and would like to join the festivities. When and where ?

Adrian
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I'll be in Chatham some time Friday evening. Driving up from NYC and working on an early escape. Weshallsee .......... I can't believe I haven't been up since the clave!

Low water at Stage Harbor is 7:30 am on Saturday so early risers could find some interesting action in the backwater estuaries, it being the June new moon. :smokin:

Off the water in plenty of time for breakfast at Sandy's and up at the refuge in time for the 08:00 departure.....

jamie
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Sounds as though there are going to be plenty of members about this coming weekend, with the bigger tides and all. Sandy's, the Squire and the RipRyder are the regular meeting spots.

Look forward to catching up with you all. It's been so long. Depending on what time and where we are, we should try and hook up Friday evening Adrian.

I left my 9 weight and reel with The Simmster. He has been reading them bedtime stories about big fish adventures; I told him no horror stories. So will need to swing by Simmster Towers to pick up my gear at some stage.

jamie
06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Ordered a copy of Running Down the Man to be delivered to the motel; will have to arrange a viewing somewhere.

Goose-uk
06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Ordered a copy of Running Down the Man to be delivered to the motel; will have to arrange a viewing somewhere.
Nice one Jamie, we can spend our 10 days on the Cape, then fly south and chase Roosters:chuckle:

Stevo
06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Where did you order it from Jamie? Anyone got a DVD player? :D

jimS
06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Jamie, what gear? I thought that was a birthday present. Actually, Wednesday is my birthday, and Pam will probably make it proper with a night out. I suspect I'll be at the Stonehorse until 7 or so. If you get in later, give me a call on my cell, 814.671.1768 to meet up for the exchange.

Incidentally, fishing the last couple of days has only been fair with this northeast wind. Should pickup after Wednesday when the low pressure system is pushed east.

jamie
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I'll be picking your pressie up in duty free mate, happy birthday for tomorrow. But no worries, bringing back-up.

Just got off the phone from Alun, and he said it had been hard going, but it looks as though we are bringing the good weather with us.

Fishing gear is now all packed, just deciding whether to bring a change of clothes or use the shower dressed, drip dry method.

jamie
06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Where did you order it from Jamie? Anyone got a DVD player? :DOrdered it direct from Felt Soul Media, they promised to get it posted from CO today.

Stevo
06-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll be picking your pressie up in duty free mate, happy birthday for tomorrow.

We'll raise a glass with you tomorrow evening Jim should we meet up? We hope to be on the Cape fishing by 5pm or 6pm and then a quick snifter before retiring.

I'm hoping Duty Free has a few special offers on some Singles Malts... 15 years minimum. :smokin:

Goose-uk
06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Well it's 2.00am here and I'm too excited to sleep, just 3 hours to go before I leave home to meet up with Jamie for the drive to Heathrow. Plenty of time to sleep on the plane and dream of big cows drifting across the flats.

Happy Birthday Jim, hope to meet up for a couple later today.

Malcolm

Greg Pavlov
06-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Weather forecast from the NOAA:

High surf advisory through tomorrow 8 PM;

Wed: NE wind 24-28
Thu: NE wind 17-23
Fri: NE wind 13-17

(it's been like this since late last week)

juro
06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank goodness that the Cape has shores facing all four cardinal directions, all within a short drive and countless facets.

Are you heading back this way?

Adrian
06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Weather forecast from the NOAA:

High surf advisory through tomorrow 8 PM;

Wed: NE wind 24-28
Thu: NE wind 17-23
Fri: NE wind 13-17

(it's been like this since late last week)

Latest from NOAA ..things get better on Friday :smokin:

SAT
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

SUN
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING NW AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO
4 FT.

Warren
06-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Damn, this wind anyway:(

Was out on the Joppa Flats today. North east wind @ 25- 30 Kts. 2 to 3 footers inside on the Merrimack river for god sake. I can only imagine what it was like out front. or trying to go out the entrance. The waves must have been brutal at the jetties

But hey we could still cast if we got the boat pointed the right direction. Caught my first fly rod Keeper today.

Weekend weather forecast looks good so far. I am planning a trip to Chatham Sunday. My first wedding anniversary. Wifey wants to see seals. I said lets go to Chatham. You can see all the seals you want & walk on the beach all day long. I'll fish all day ... she liked that idea. God I love this woman

juro
06-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Congrats Warren!

What a catch!

Nice fish too :)

Guernseybass
06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Yay Goose !

I hear on the grapevine that Malc got his first keeper at 30" yesterday too.

nice one mate.

Mark.

petevicar
06-18-2007, 01:20 PM
What is happening?
There is no news.

juro
06-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Pete -

Is is ON FIRE out there now. You may be anxious now (as I am) but the pictures will speak for themselves shortly.

The gang can not pull themselves away.

FredA
06-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I fished with one of the contingent (Mike Oliver) Sunday plus Jim Simms and sons and a few others. The word I got was that most of the UK contingent, Juro and a few others came down with squire flu and were unable to fish. Cris simms had it but didn't realize it (prolonged incubation period) until he was stranded a few miles out on the flats

juro
06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Fred,

Pete knows all about the Squire Flu... he brought with him a unique strain which seemed to have interbred with the local strain and if you caught it the symptoms included a hollow leg sensation, desire to sing bad songs in public and a craving for illegal cigars. :hihi:

Guernseybass
06-18-2007, 03:27 PM
I fished with one of the contingent (Mike Oliver) Sunday plus Jim Simms and sons and a few others. The word I got was that most of the UK contingent, Juro and a few others came down with squire flu and were unable to fish. Cris simms had it but didn't realize it (prolonged incubation period) until he was stranded a few miles out on the flats

well done to Cris for getting out there after catching a very early (about 4.30pm) first dose of the Black & Tan strain of the squire flu.

myself and Craig escaped before infection took hold as i had to make it back to Boston to break the news to my lovely wife that she would be giving up her Sunday to accompany me to my official initiation into the Red Sox Nation at Fenway :chuckle:

the Sox won 9-5 :smokin:

Mark.

Warren
06-18-2007, 07:58 PM
LOL,

I only found one Englishman at the Rip Ryder Sunday morning. Capt'n Kieth had some hilarious stories about the night before....Heh Heh. My lips are sealed.:hihi:

juro
06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Lets not forget the real trooper here... capt keith was at the dinghy rowing on time despite being with the brit's pint for pint till closing

Sephon
06-18-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm not going to sugarcoat this one. I was a hurting unit Sunday morning. But somehow, that horrific hangover wore off after my first keeper. I had a blast Saturday night, Juro, Jamie, Steve-o, Malcom, Rupert, and Keith, thanks fellas.

Still recovering in Chicago,

-Chris

P.S.- Jamie, thanks for the ride mate.

petevicar
06-19-2007, 06:42 AM
desire to sing bad songs in public

What do you mean by bad songs.:tsk_tsk:
The folks in the Keys think my songs are great. :D

I wasn't smoking illegal cigars. You were. They are not illegal for me (I think):smokin:

I'll have to go back there at a better time when there a few more people around.

Alun
06-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Huge thanks to the great guys I met on the beaches who shared a little of their huge experience it was greatly appreciated, I even caught a few.

I hear the wind has flattened off now for the rest of the invaders, lucky sods and pictures will follow of blue skies flat calm and big fish

Didn't get to see Monomoy or south beach really so will have to try again next year, or perhaps in the fall. Thanks again

Oh and Jack quit lurking will you, you've got loads to share

Alun

Adrian
06-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Sorry I had to bail out last w/e on Sunday morning thanks to work stuff coming up - it can suck sometimes but it does keep the lights on! I fished for a whiole Saturday evening but hit the "wall" at around 10:00 pm.

Great to share the sacred ground with the lads from the old country and looking forward to many return visits!

striblue
06-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I guess I was smart to leave the Squire early Saturday night from what I heard from Juro and how I leaft you guys at the best seat in the house....will fish Friday and hope to catch some of you before you leave...John

juro
06-21-2007, 11:55 AM
All I know is that the Brits were in rare form and my shoes ended up full of Guiness but the rest of the story is unclear. ;)

flydoc
06-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to hook up with the Brits this time, apart from running into Jamie and Stevo at Goose Hummock yesterday afternoon (while I was purchasing a spin casting rig for Saturday's Big Brother outing)....apparently they're all flying back over the pond Saturday AM, so I'll just have to revel in the stories/legends posted in the days ahead (and recanted by Juro and others in reverent tones over pints at the Squire):hihi:
Safe flight, and cheerio til next time....
Flydoc

Adrian
06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
If the lads are still around tommorow eve I might just egt a "fair-thee-well" bevvy in tommorow night?

Stevo
06-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Well, back in 'Old Blighty' now and what a trip that was!

Special thanks to all the guys who made it special, and in no particular order, go to Jim Simms, Adrian, Keith & Ed (Rip Ryder), Chris & Brad Simms, Bill (FishHawk), John Morin (who let us wear the Fez & join The CAC), Juro, Flydoc, Craig, Ken and many more who's names escape me. Also special thanks to Pam Simms for the superb food she prepared for the cook-out on Tuesday evening. Thanks Pam.

On a slightly darker note, I still bare the scars from that night in the Squire and still cannot remember leaving the bar nor how I got home... Awesome! :chuckle:

Here is a small selection of my better fish from the trip...

34Ĺ"
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1111/608688669_d24ca8deaa_o.jpg

32"
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1062/608698423_018a81356b_o.jpg

31"
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1046/608689043_beb601ddb7_o.jpg

31" with Jamie in the background
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1179/608688685_715db3c962_o.jpg

KMcFly
06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Stevo- You forgot the pics of those Pleasant Bay giants,I thought they were the highlight of your trip.

jamie
06-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Stevo- You forgot the pics of those Pleasant Bay giants,I thought they were the highlight of your trip.
There was certainly a lot of whopping going on Ken.

jamie
06-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Well it was a cracking trip with superb company all around.

The fishing was good, but it seemed that we had to work for them a lot harder than in previous trips out there. You would get quite a lot of follows only to have the fish refuse, I would say of the sighted fish, probably 25 follows would result in 1 hook up. The stripers seemed to be quite fussy about which fly they would show an interest in; I would put a lot of the refusals down to the fly not quite being right, or the retrieve being wrong, or simply running out of line to strip. The stripers would take their time checking things out rather than greedily grab the fly, as I had become used to. On the flats the fish were extremely spooky, with weighted flies you would need to give them quite a lead on the cast, whilst un-weighted would usually be effective for close in delivery. I found that where the hooks were quite well disguised also improved my success on the flats; either by using bend-backs or hooks well shrouded by the dressing.

For me; I really enjoyed my time fishing the surf and was rewarded with a keeper (just on 28”), it was fun spotting the fish, but again they were very skittish as the seals were tracking them up the beach, often driving a small school of stripers ahead of them as they formed a staggered line in the water, swimming up the beach. Next in the fishing highlights were the two days on North Monomoy, both times I managed to locate where the fish were quite easily and then get a good number of fish on both sessions.

The ankle held up well to all the walking and the guys were quite patient waiting for the limping cripple to keep up with them. At the end of some days it would be hurting and the ankle would swell up, but towards the end of the trip I think all the walking had assisted in speeding up the ankles recovery.

For the others; it was great to witness Rupe getting his first striper on the first trip out and then get his first blue towards the end of the ten days. Fantastic to see Malc get his first keeper and then go on to get some pretty decent sized fish on later sessions. Bincksie managed to get his biggest fish from all his visits to the Cape quite early on and then managed to continue to catch some good sized fish. Being with Bincksie when a 15lb blue was sighted and stole his fly was an experience that gets the blood pumping.

On the social side of things we had some great laughs and lots of ribbing. Bincksie in particular decided to be the butt of many of the laughs after his misadventures in the Squire; getting drunk beyond all possible belief, trying to dry hump me and my strong insistence that he did not; leading to my Guinness getting thrown all over Juro, and then having to calm down the bouncers by convincing them that Bincksie and I were not having a fight; just a confusion of ideas – his idea being that I wanted a shag and he, Steven Binckes would gallantly supply the said shag; and my idea being that I most certainly did not want a shag; not by him at least. Anyway, he got his come-uppance in the following days, from those who were sober enough to witness and remember his behaviour and from the suffering he endured, not just from the ribbing he took from all and sundry, but from the profound payback his body provided as a result of his alcohol abuse. Rupe kept trying to wrestle Simmsie’s oldest son Chris, who is about 6’5”. I don’t think Chris was really that aware of what was going on as he was pretty far gone too. I of course was as usual an example of restraint, trying to keep the drunken rabble in line and paying off, or sweet talking or apologising to the various young ladies they insulted on the way.

I managed to break my Scott 9 weight whilst out on the boat. This was due to the bottom two sections not being tightly seated and cracking on the forward cast. Later Bincksie lent me his 9 weight Xi2, with the explicit instructions not to break this one, which I did. This time I think there may have been a fault on the blank as it broke in almost exactly the same place as the Scott, but this time I know the sections were snug. I think my face must have been a picture as it broke on the forward cast and frozen in this pose I turned open mouthed to the disbelieving Bincksie. These were not the only rods to get broken on the trip. Malc managed to break to of his own rods, and Adrian managed to break on of his rods whilst he was out with us on North Monomoy. So one afternoon was spent posting my rod to Scott, a reel to Old Florida and a reel to Tibor.

Great trip guys, I went out with a top bunch of chaps and was able to meet up with good friends, who I just don’t see often enough; and make some new friends.

10 days was enough for me and I was glad to spend a day with the family yesterday. Not so pleased to be back at work today though.

Until next time....

jamie
06-25-2007, 07:30 AM
If the lads are still around tommorow eve I might just egt a "fair-thee-well" bevvy in tommorow night?
Sorry we did not hook up Adrian - understand you were stuck in traffic from hell

jamie
06-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Some pics of the trip (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiercgriff/sets/72157600462707114/)

I have some more stuff on my phone which I will release in due course:eek: :devil:

Mike Oliver
06-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Nice report with great photos Jamie. I am still trying to figure how to get the photos out of my camers onto the PC. It's playing no go at the moment. As you know I missed the best/ worst of the antics in Squires on that infamous Sat night. I did see at first hand however the effects on Brad and Chris the next morning. Chris barely managed the long walk on NM on the Sunday. But he made it and caught two fish in delightful fashion right from under his startled brothers nose. In reality he mugged him of his fish. He did this with two expert flop casts of about 10 feet and the striper ate both times. Made my day if not Brads. It was good to see a dad and his two sons fishing together on Fathers Day. How often does that happen around the world. Not much I would wager.
You definataly had the better of NM on the Saturday so maybe there is some excuse for the excesses of Binksey although it has to be said that Rupert was not his usual upper stiff lipped limey self either.
Me I had fished Stage Harbour Inlet in a right old holigan wind whilst you Guys were getting oiled up.. I winkled out one Striper that bit so hard it yanked the line from my stripping hand which flew into the air wrapped around my head light which then promptly went out to sea and underneath being towed by a fiesty young thing of around 6lb. Surreal to see your light still working underneath the water and being moved around at a fair old rate of Knots. This fish pulled more than it's weight. I landed the fish and laughed. No one to share the moment with. I put this fish down as my most memerable because of the extreem conditions. Weed as well as wind. Inlet only place fishable in the Morris Island Channel that night..
Can't wait for next year might even make the Clave thingy if cash can be unearthed from somewhere.

Mikey.O.

jamie
06-25-2007, 10:26 AM
The Simms boys certainly know how to party and were great entertainment and company. I am looking forward to the day when my two boys are old enough to spend a day on the flats with their old man - hangover optional.

jamie
06-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Best things about fishing the Cape Mike, is not the fishing; but the stories.

Rupe
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Just echoing what the others said really - a great trip and thanks to you lot for making us feel so welcome - A shame not to get in amonst the big girls (the fish, not in the Squire) but I think its better to work up slowly (fish and girls).

Hopefully be over again next year.

Rupe
Member CAC

striblue
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Great to see all of you and my only regret is not having fished enough with you. We just had the Big brother Day on Saturday and had usual problems on North Monomoy with the North winds and positive tides.....But.... I have some interesting pictures of a "certain" group each wearing a fez....John

Stevo
06-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Nice report Jamie although that Binksie bloke sounds a right drunken bum, whoever he is!

juro
06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
John -

I think we need to have a fez hall of fame page!

Also, you can see why Stevo won the 2006 Forum GQ award. However this year he was disqualified for a blemish on his chin :lildevl:

http://flyfishingforum.com/miscellaneous/GQ.jpg

striblue
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Juro, yes, I was wondering what that was???:lildevl:

Stevo
06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Squire flu... It's nearly better now! :D

juro
06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Dunno but I heard the floor got the worst of the conflict. :)

Mike Oliver
06-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Yeah, a floor and Binksey's chin. No contest. Floor loses every time.
So have to warn you Guys that Mike Olivers party have parlayed together and already we have started the process of Booking next years trip for arrival on the 2nd of June for two weeks. You Chatham based guys are reasonably safe in that the plan is to stay in Cotuit again. The fishing down there was good so I could not prise the Guys away. However we will have more cars between us next year and I will be making solo lightening raids onto Monomoy and Morris Island channel plus other hot spots. So you may just come across this small, sad balding Brit fumbling his way with the fly rod often clad in a beat up old wet suit.
See you next year Guys thanks for this one. Now just a positive memory.

Mikey.O.

barramundi-uk
06-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Mike

has Montauk been canned in favour of the cape ?

Mike Oliver
06-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Austin,

Never. Montauk has been going now for 9 years and is a constant in my fishing calander. It is serious hard core fishing. Big seas, big winds, running the beaches looking for blitzs. Deep wading , swimming to rocks, even an accasional bout of Skishing. Real in yer face fishing. I could not live without my annual fix of this kind of malarkey. Even been known to swim to rocks with the fly rod held between my teeth like a Beaver. I make my own rods so I don't worry about the teeth marks in the cork. Montauk in late Oct and Nov is not fly rod friendly. In truth I see very few active Fly Rodders there during our stay. In the dead of night I have never seen one. We fish the fly but truth is the plugging gear sees more time on the water rather than fur and feather.

Get yourself a 5mm winter grade wet suit. Far more useful than std chest waders and treat yourself one year.
Cape Cod is so different and totally captivating in it's own way. A fly Rodders dream come true. That's why I am coming back in 2008 even though the state of my bank balance says I should not. The wife I hope to convince , probably about a day before I get my flight. No point in sufferring the nagging for a whole year. Short sharp pain is prefererable for me.

See you and the guys on the Cape next year then.

Mike

jimS
07-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey Mike, enjoyed your company a couple of weeks ago on the flats. Let me know when you want to do it again next year. The fishing has been tough on the flats since you left, but they are there, and you've got to unlock the code to get them to eat. When you return, we'll share it with you, but only after you sign off, affirming under oath that you will not divulge it to anyone.

Cheers

Mike Oliver
07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Jim,

I probably enjoyed your company and that of the other guys even more. But thanks. Monomoy is a stunningly beautiful and intriguing place to be. It is a priceless jewel in your crown. I hope that it is never spoiled and that we can always get access. For a first timer it was almost overwhelming which appeals to me as there is so much to learn. Well more than a life time I would wager. I only got in two good shots sight fishing.. One to a pair of fish around the 26 to 28 inch size and a single coming at me head on when we were walking back to shore. On both occasions the fish charged the fly but turned away at the last second leaving me breathless and shaking. Net result is it starts you thinking darned hard as to why. This is early in the year when fish I am told are hungry and not fussy. My flies were small clousers size 2, not too flashy Olive over white to one fish and the pair refused a chartruesse over white. Maybe I should have had a tan over white. I don't know and that for me is part of the magic trying to figure it out. In truth I guess we never do. If we did who would go fishing.
Next year and you must think me mad we have already booked our house and the trip is set in stone. But we will have three cars between four of us which will enable me to get up to Monomoy and Chatham area on a more regular basis. Monomoy is certainly more than just about size and numbers of fish and you will know that more than most Jim. I have lots to learn and sure I will sign your pledge.

See you there next June.

Mike