So Many Tapers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: So Many Tapers

Venture
05-27-2007, 04:42 PM
There are so many fly line tapers on the market today. There are rocket, triangular, several weight forwards, nymph lines, tinnie shooting heads, sink tips, full sinks, intermediates, etc, etc, not to mention lines specially made to catch bonefish or tarpon, or little tunny, or stripers.

I was just looking for an 8 weight forward floater, and a 9 double taper floating. Cortland still makes both....so I bought them. I got 40% off both because it seems that both lines were a bit out of style, or at least didn't come in a fancy wrapper guarantee a specific species......

Am I out of touch, or did I just save a lot of money????

Salar-1
05-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Howie
Rio and SA make "Nymph" lines which will make ideal lines for roll casting with a single handed rod .Both have nice forward tapers .
CND has also introduced a new double taper line for 2 handers .
I also once tried a 6/7 XLT line on a 9wt single handed rod for roll/Spey single handed work.
Cheers

flytyer
05-28-2007, 04:29 PM
You just saved yourself some money.

Although I like longer-belly lines for both 2-hand and single-hand rods, it is not necessary to have one to fish effectively. There is nothing wrong with the "old fashioned, time tested" standard WF and DT line designs. They still cast fine and are good fishing tools.

Venture
05-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Are their longer belly lines than a standard double taper? The entire line on a standard DT is the belly, with only the ends being tapered. In the past, the DT was the line of choice for Salmon fishing. Only recently have I used a WF......but these lines were designed to shoot casts after stripping in the fly. The DT actually is better for picking up a given amount of line and laying it out again. Also the DTs should be better for line control as in mending.......

Anyway, both lines, after the discount were $23 each. So both together still cost less than the "designer" lines...... I would love the opportunity to test the various lines and compare them to each other. But until that time, I may as well just save some money.....

flytyer
05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
The DT line has the longest "belly" of all lines since it is all but the front 10' and rear 10' of taper. However, lines like the salmon/steelhead taper WF specialty lines has belly/backtapers of 65', which means for most situations they behave like a DT, but because they are still a WF line (granted a very long bellied WF line) once the 65' belly is near the rod tip, all you are shooting is the fine, thin diameter running line like on a DT. There are other longer belly WF lines on there too, but I'll let you research them.