Saltwater reel storage preparation [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saltwater reel storage preparation

desmobob
05-25-2007, 03:54 PM
What do you folks do to prepare your saltwater reels/spools for the off-season?

I've enjoyed my annual spring trip to the Cape and it's time to put away my saltwater stuff. Corrosion is very slowly taking its toll on one of my Orvis DXR spools (and they don't make them any more). The two little "posts" that engage the drag mechanism are slowly corroding away. A spot on the rim where the anodization chipped is also starting to look nasty. I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing before storing them.

My usual routine is to soak the reels and spools in a five-gallon bucket of fresh water, changing it each day for four or five days. I dry them and then give everything a good lube and wipedown with BreakFree CLP.

Any hints, tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
desmobob

jimS
05-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Bob, your plan of attack is pretty thorough. Insure they are totally dry and humidity is not a factor when storing.

See ya next year, unless you come in the Fall for the reverse migration.

salmo
05-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Bob,

Buy Danielsson reel and all you problems will go away as the 100% sealed mechanism has the best design in the industry. Make a search on Danielsson.
The reels use to cost in $ 500-800 range when distributed by Loop Tackle.
After 2004, the partnership Danielsson-Loop has ended and now you can enjoy them directly form the Swedish Factory for $ 300-400.

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/us/start.php

ZB

FishHawk
05-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Even the Dannielson will corrode with neglect. Your on the right track Bob. FishHawk

desmobob
05-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm relieved to hear I'm taking proper precautions.

I hope you guys are hooking up on the big cows! Are you getting any of those bluefish that I've heard are in the area chasing the menhaden?

Damn... I wish I was still there! I'm stuck at home casting my two-weight at some 10" stocked trout. :hihi:

Best of luck to you; see you next spring,
desmobob

sean
05-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Bob you are doing what you can. Salt eventually wins. For a once a year salt trip I would not invest in a saltwater ready reel yet. Can't see the economics in that...

Once your reel(s) do finally succumb a danielsson aint a bad choice for a replacement. I have not cleaned some of mine in 5+ years and no corrosion. The ones I used at the clave are still sitting under my car seat untouched. Definitely a no hassle reel.

-sean

desmobob
05-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Bob you are doing what you can. Salt eventually wins. For a once a year salt trip I would not invest in a saltwater ready reel yet. Can't see the economics in that...

I already have invested; I have two Orvis DXR 9/10 reels and three spools. One of the reels and two of the spools have 12 years of one-or-two-weeks-a-year use. The other reel and spool I found used at a good price a few years after Orvis discontinued the DXR and are kept as back-ups. The amount of money I have invested vs. the amount of fishing time I actually get with them is the reason I'm trying so hard to take good care of them!

Once your reel(s) do finally succumb a danielsson aint a bad choice for a replacement. I have not cleaned some of mine in 5+ years and no corrosion. The ones I used at the clave are still sitting under my car seat untouched. Definitely a no hassle reel.

Chris Simms told me he bought a Danielsson and loves it. I was interested in them years ago (smaller, freshwater models) when they were sold by Loop, but the price scared me off. My freshwater reels are Orvis CFO and CFO Disc models. (I live about 40 minutes from the Orvis HQ and factory, so I end up buying a lot of their products.) Now that the Danielssons are priced better, I'll most likely end up giving them a try.

Good fishing!
desmobob

Eddie
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I think that submerging a reel for four or five days in fresh water is WAAAAY over board. Even if your reel was under salt water for a season, that would be over kill. it's not as if the reel soaks up salt. The salt would wash off the reel with a few splashes of fresh water. I doubt it is a good thing for the anti reverse gear/clutch to be submerged.
The only thing that could absorb salt would be the backing (and on a standard arbor reel...that's alot of backing!). If the reeel got dunked....maybe wind off the backing onto something (like a plastic line spool or a line winder) and let the salt leach out of the backing. If the backing doesn't taste salty, it's done. With the line and backing off the reel, run fresh water over the reel body and spool in the sink. Brush any crust off. Dry and sparingly put a couple of drops of light oil on the stuff that moves and rubs (the bushing/spindle, the clutch bearing etc. Do not lube the drag washer. Maybe soak the clutch in wd40 and then lube it with light oil. Wipe of any excess oil. It will only attract dirt.

I hate to comment because you are getting great mileage from your DXR. The most important thing with those reels is to back off the drag when you aren't using them. The drag adjustment is the weak point on an other wise decent reel.

juro
06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Bob -

I own a growing covey of Danielssons and they just simply ROCK.

You won't even have to ask such questions when you make the switch, not just saying that.

It becomes a non-issue.

Please mention the Flyfishing Forum when you order guys! Feedback is the key to sponsorship.

desmobob
06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I think that submerging a reel for four or five days in fresh water is WAAAAY over board. Even if your reel was under salt water for a season, that would be over kill. it's not as if the reel soaks up salt. The salt would wash off the reel with a few splashes of fresh water. I doubt it is a good thing for the anti reverse gear/clutch to be submerged.
The only thing that could absorb salt would be the backing (and on a standard arbor reel...that's alot of backing!).

Eddie,

I believe you're right. I'm doing the soak to leech the salt out of the backing, but I think the long freshwater soak is promoting corrosion on the bad spots I have. I usually spend a good amount of time at the Cape fishing the surf. I know my backing gets soaked with saltwater. The one time I didn't rinse it or soak it clean, I got a nasty mess as the salt crystalized and pushed out of the backing.

I had one bad experience years ago with "rinsing" my backing. Right after coming home from the annual Cape trip, I was fishing a northern part of the Hudson River for smallmouths so I brought my DXR along planning to rinse it out.

I was in a small aluminum boat in a deep and fairly fast section of the river. I played out the line and all the backing --and there's a LOT of it. I let it drift in the current for a minute, then started the long process of winding it up. It was hell trying to get a good smooth build of backing on the reel. But worse yet, the line snagged/tangled something on the bottom. Yup... I lost about half the backing and my fly line. I felt like an idiot. There are plenty of nice clean lakes in my area, and I had to try my rinse in a river. :roll:

Good fishing,
desmobob

desmobob
06-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Bob -

I own a growing covey of Danielssons and they just simply ROCK.

You won't even have to ask such questions when you make the switch, not just saying that.

It becomes a non-issue.

Can't I enjoy this darn hobby without having to spend so much money? :hihi:

I love finely machined aluminum doo-dads of all kinds; fly reels, motorcycle parts, model airplane engines, etc.. I love buying them. It's just that I can't really afford to be doing it... :tsk_tsk:

Good fishing,
desmobob

Eddie
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I once tried to rinse 300yds of backing in a bucket of water. What a cluster!

Penguin
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
COSMOLINE on everything:eek:
not really...
The yard is 300' fence to fence...convenient for the task...
I'll rinse well then strip off the line and backing...
Clean the reel and reline (or not)...
the backing can be cleaned, stored on a large spool to air dry and line loosely coiled for the off season.
If there is any flaw in the bearing seal, soaking the reel can invite moisture to the party...a good rince should suffice...
All rather anal retentive but beats insidious corrosion and early failure due to operator error!