backing to line knot [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: backing to line knot

JTWG
05-25-2007, 01:27 PM
What knot do you guys use to tie the backing to the line? I'm working on a 9 wt line here.

JT

sean
05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
I change lines a lot so I use the blind spliced loop detailed here for a backing loop:

http://www.rioproducts.com/page.php?recKey=16

and then use a version of Juro's loop for the fly line:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=21921&highlight=juro%27s+loop

If you are not changing lines a lot the albright always treated me right. For big game stuff guys get into biminis and such but probably not neccesary for anything you would tackle with a 9wt.

-sean

flytyer
05-25-2007, 03:33 PM
I use an Albright know exclusively unless I know I will be changing lines at the backing a lot.

JTWG
05-28-2007, 08:36 PM
thanks guys. thats what i use too, but wanted to make sure i was on the right page.

bonehead
06-10-2007, 02:28 AM
I use loop to loop for all my connections. Makes changing lines and leaders a breeze, relatively.

I note most of this is actually described in the rio link above on the top of page 2.

First I tie a Bimini in my backing, which makes a loop. If I'm using 30 lb Dacron I'll leave it at that, but if it's 20 lb or Gelspun I'll then double that loop by tying a Surgeon's Knot in the doubled line, making sure that the loop I have left is big enough to fit over the reel.

Then I double of the end of my flyline and tie a couple nail knots about 1/2 inch apart using 10-12 lb mono. You can coat these knots with something if you like - head cement, uv-knot sense, or whatever. This gives me a loop in the end of my flyline. On the backing side I try to make this loop small - 1/4 inch or so. On the leader side I make the loop big enough to pass a decent sized crab or baitfish fly through. (I often see tarpon from the beaches as I'm fishing bones here. Instead of tying on a tarpon tippet and fly when I see these fish... which takes way too long, I carry a pre-rigged leader complete with fly. When I do see one I simply unloop my leader and loop on the tarpon rig, passing the fly through the loop.)

For my connection I use the x-connection loop-to-loop. That's where you do a standard loop-to-loop, but to make sure it doesn't form a girth hitch you pass the backing loop over the reel again, this time making an 'x' in it before you do. When properly seated this forms an 'x-shape' loop around the flyline and will never slip into a Girth hitch (which is a cutting knot).

The only time I've ever had any issue was on a rod with small guides using some 30-lb Dacron I'd tied a Bimini in and then double again with a Surgeon Loop. This last knot was just too big and made a hell of racket going out the guides. So, on this thicker stuff I just leave it at the Bimini and do the x-loop. This is a small, thin connection. No worries.

Eddie
06-24-2007, 08:16 PM
If I am using spun gel backing, I always go with loop to loop.
But otherwise an albright works for me.

Vince
06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Blind spliced loop is great. I use a darning (sp?) needle to get into the backing. Can get them at any craft store for pennies. Very smooth connection, and strong. Can always apply some knot sense to make it even stronger. (or even a small nail knot)