Search for big fish.....slow [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Search for big fish.....slow

Dble Haul
05-23-2007, 10:31 AM
I spent several hours yesterday paddling around some estuaries and points at the mouth of the Thames River in CT looking for big stripers. To dissuade schoolies, I was throwing very large herring patterns and swinging them through very deep cuts and holes. I never did connect with anything big, but half a dozen large schoolies did end up getting hooked on the 6/0 Gamakatsu.

The tides were not as strong as they could have been, given the moon situation. I probably could have loaded up on small fish, but that wasn't what my mission was. :lildevl:

Gotta admire the attitude of a 24 inch striper taking a 12 inch fly. 8)

Quentin
05-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Mark, did you get over to Ocean Beach and Harkness? Just wondering if anything's happening around there. Also wondering if you saw any shore fishermen at Ocean Beach. The staff kicked me out twice last fall because the town supposedly prohibits fishing at Ocean Beach. They even made me get off of the jetty on the Harkness side of the channel :mad: .

Q

flydoc
05-23-2007, 10:45 PM
The staff kicked me out twice last fall because the town supposedly prohibits fishing at Ocean Beach. They even made me get off of the jetty on the Harkness side of the channel :mad: .

Q
Quentin- As long as you're below the high tide mark, they don't have a right to keep you from fishing....federal law considers shoreline below the high tide mark as "public domain", and protects your right to fish there, regardless of who owns the property above the high tide mark. I would challenge them on this if they try to interfere, as long as you are below the high tide mark. They may still get you on parking issues/beach permit stuff, but if nonresidents can purchase the appropriate beach/parking permit or if the permits are enforced only during certain hours, they can't keep you from fishing below the high tide mark if you abide by the other rules. As for the jetty fishing, that's another matter:roll:
Flydoc

Smcdermott
05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
I think the issue with Ocean Beach would be that you would have to walk over private property to access the water which would give them a stance. However, on the Harkness side I don't think I would have given up the spot either. Q, if you walk back up along the estuary there is actually some sightfishing that can be done before the summer crowds arrive. Not huge fish but some legals mixed in with the schoolies. Access from the Harkness parking area or by the theatre if they will allow. Early season they always did for me.

Sean

Dble Haul
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Q, I stayed entirely on the east side of the Thames in Groton. I never paddled over to Ocean Beach. I've never been kicked out of Ocean Beach in a handful of years fishing there, and I didn't know it was even staffed after Labor Day. FWIW, when I fish there I generally park at Waterford Town beach, outside the gates and just hoof it in. It's about a ten minute walk.

Sean, the estuary you are talking about with the sight fishing....is it the creek to Alewife Cove that runs between the two jetties? Looks fishy, but I've never paid too much attention to it except between the throats and tips of the jetties. I catch plenty of fish out of that section, but perhaps I should take a longer look up inside.

bonefishmon
05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Mark. It's worth a try. I've seen some very large fish in there but they are spooky after Memorial Day when the area gets busy.

Phil