Gaspe conditions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gaspe conditions

Salar-1
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Causap. water temp 38 F. Rimouski had 5 cm of snow on ground yesterday and a s--t load more up in da hills IE: the Murdockville Rd.!! DON'T, and I repeat, DO NOT leave your wading boots outside on the porch :eek:

QuebecSporting
05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Yo Salar-1

The York is just gorgeous today... funny you ask, I was just driving back from the Ste-Marguerite area this morning and took a few shots in Sector 6.

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/york6_may22.JPG

I can pretty well see all the bottom of MurdocH!! :D

Cheers!!

A..

Fontinalis
05-22-2007, 04:34 PM
See any chrome fish in sector 6 waiting for me Ann? :D

Salar-1
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Ann
Looking good !!!
Cheers
Brian

Bugman
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
SO ...

The season has been open for several days. Enquiring minds want to know :confused:

Does anyone have early-season stories from the York???

The salmon world awaits ... :)

Jim Corrigan

QuebecSporting
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Ohhh!!! Bonsoir Jim!!
Well......... :roll:
Tomorrow will be our first day in Sector 6.
The river is clearing up, but still a little " blurry "...so, we are seeing fish everywhere!!!! ha!!
I mean, some spots look very suspicious.... could be fish or could be rocks.

Ah!! It's Sooooo stressing !!!! :Eyecrazy:
http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/IMG_1662a.JPG
( sneak preview of Dartmouth Ladder pool today !!!)

Sweet dreams!

A.. :)

Salar-1
05-25-2007, 06:02 PM
The ZEC Gaspe is reporting the 1st Salmon of the year on Sector 2 ,York River !!

QuebecSporting
05-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello!
Here are a few pic taken early this morning on the York!!

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/York_may26.JPG

Brian,
Fish On!! On the St-Jean also yesterday! :roll:

Cheers!!

A..

Fontinalis
05-29-2007, 07:26 AM
I will be fishing Gaspe from June 6-11 (York and Dartmouth). This will be my first spring visit to these rivers. I have tied a large quantity of flies, mostly in sizes 2 and 4. Any reason to go smaller and tie up a bunch of 4's, or is it generally the big stuff only?

Thanks!
Troy

wilson
05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Tie a couple of Pompier in #6 and #8 just in case.

I was just getting to sector 4 on the York a couple of years ago and a very nice gentleman, whose name I forget now, was walking out and told me his "secret" for the week was to drop down in size (water dropping) and left me a #6 Pompier in the keyhole of my car door.

Needless to say I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, and it was such a nice little tie, I ran it through the next pool. Long story short, that little fly scored all over the peninsula and saved my trip.

So tie some smaller or just bum a fly off of some nice soul on the river. Your choice ;-)

-Chris

QuebecSporting
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Bonsoir Chris,
I must agree with you..... I know a few guys ( k... girls! too) :smokin: and witnessed catches early in June.......large salmon on NO:6 and even smaller.!!! (single hooks !!)
High water conditions, cold water (floating lines and tippet).

I also believe.dry fly in early June is a must .... ( no matter what color the water and temp...)
If the fly is in your fly box, it won't catch a fish!!

I also, wanted to wish you an excellent season... !!
Looking forward to read you again!!
I know you explore different waters.... let us know!!!

Fish are in...!!
I have this Thing for the St.Jean... one landed yesterday.and a large salmon won' the battle today... ( good!! he's still in the river!!) ;)

Bonne saison!!

A..

juro
05-30-2007, 10:21 AM
I can't concentrate on work Ann!!!

Looking beautiful... I can't wait to get back there again.

GPearson
05-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Great story about the #6 P. Chris.

Hi Ann and the rest of you lucky souls that will be fishing the Gaspe' this year. I will be missing out this year so am depending on all of your stories and reports. Keep them coming so that i can day dream about those amazing rivers and fish.

Cheers,
Greg

QuebecSporting
05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Greg!!
Nice to hear from you...

Well, our first day out with clients this morning!
I selected St-Jean for the first day...

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/IMG_3060a.JPG

Fish On with Austin this morning!!

Wishing you a great season...

See you soon!

A..

Jim Miller
05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
My God... that is beautiful water!

Salar-1
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Ann
as ya jknow I couldn't get to the York etc this yr . for the early fishing. The Causap. and Matapedia were not fishing well .Water ideal, temps went from 44 on Monday to 52 on Sat. Hooked a brute (well over 30lbs) on Tues evening. The mic'mac's hadTHREE nets in until Fri. when they were ordered to remove them for 48 hrs. Things really improved on Sat. evening and actually saw fish moving and one 36lber caught very late ! Dem micmuck's are allowed to take 2500 salmon /yr. !!!!!!
I culd just imagine 2000+ more fish in the river:) Back down that way again on Sunday ! Flies with purple in them (HINT HINT !!) If the water continues to drop the way it has , conditions by Monday will be ripe for dries :-) had a big M.F, try to take a P.I.T. (subsurface fly) on Fri. am in fast water but fish had too much bulk to manuver to take fly in that type of rapid !
Caddis hatch on Thursday was HUGE and absolutely stunning to witness !!
BTW stand by for some VERY good news regarding the Matapedia for next yr.
Cheers