Finally-3weeks late! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Finally-3weeks late!

Slinger
05-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Well the mid bay kicked into high gear this weekend with loads of better fish showing up. Spent 10 hrs in the boat Sat. but caught big time. The tide was comming all morning, just the oppisite of what i like, but we found fish anyway. Sean packed it in just as the tide topped out, first time I've ever seen him quit before me. After the turn I slammed them for a couple of hours at my favorite spot before calling it a day.
Today I was out by 5 and found no joy at the first stop. Got a call from Capt. Ray who said he had a bunch of fish by a certain light. Beat feet over there and we proceeded to hammer them for a couple of hours. All cookie cutter 25". The wind really kicked up and the bay was wild so I pulled the boat and went home for a nap. I didn't even unhook the boat. A couple of hours later the wind was down to 5mph and I headed right back out for the dropping tide. Good would be an understatement, spectacular is more in order. 5 straight hours of fish on allmost every cast, most over the 28" limit. When I needed a rest from the fly I grabbed the jigging rod, the better fish were deeper. 15 fish between 15 and 20 lbs. on jigs. The tide bottomed out at 6 and I packed it in from sheer exhaustion, sore all over. Sun was pretty good, today was one for the books!
Slinger

jfbasser
05-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Good to hear that numbers of quality fish are finally in the main Bay and eating....sounds better than swinging a few flies with sticky sharp hooks way up a river for a subtle "take" or two.......:hihi:

mikez
05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Glad to hear you guys are hitting them. I was wondering where you've been. I was thinking I'd have to go over to the Sluggo Forum to find out where the fish were.:wink:
See any of those tide runners?

Slinger
05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Haven't heard of any yet, but the way this seasons been going now would be a good time to look for them.
Slinger

RayStachelek
05-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Fly ith by day, Spin ith by night.

Slinger is seriously logging in some big time sea time. The guy can flat out cover the bay.

Reminds me of that commercial with the world record fastest human runner. Just all over the place. The energizer striper man.

Glad you found the mother load. The wind got stronger this morning.

The only negative..... pogie boat entered the upper bay today.
Once they clean out the bay..... bye! bye! bass.
Somethings never seem to change.

Warren
05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Looks as if I will be down Thursday Morning. We will launch in Melville at about 0600.

Steve I sent you an email

Capt Ray I will probably send you one later today or Wednesday

Hopefully we can hook up

RayStachelek
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Warren,

Head north after launching. Plenty of stripers and bait north of Prudence Island.
Just look for the diving terns and fleet of boats.

Dble Haul
05-23-2007, 10:27 AM
It's about time the bay turned on. Glad to hear that it's finally happening.

sean
05-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Yep, I am glad they finally showed up.;)

Very nice day on the water Slinger and last night had some big girls in the mix as well. Where do we sign the sink the pogie boat petition?

-sean

Slinger
05-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Another outstanding morning on the bay. Had the boat in by 5 and when I got to the light Capt. Ray was allready there! He never beats me to the water, must be real good to drag him out of bed before dawn, which comes real early this time of year! By the time the tide died at 8, the numbers of bass on the feed were amazing. I thought they would slow down with the turn but they didn`t miss a beat. Well into the rise they were still all over. I had a promise to get out for the afternoon drop with a friend so I was back at the dock by 10:15. Gassed the boat, fixed a rail,took a nap and was back out for 3. The wind was howling, whitecaps washing over the docks at the ramp. Returning boaters with stories of how rough it was, we never even splashed the boat! What a bummer, to have the fishes number and not be able to get to them!
Slinger

Warren
05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
My friend & I drove down from NH at 0330. We made it to the light area this morning at about 0730, picked up a few small Stripers & two small blues. A little too late judging from the conversations we had with other boaters. Should have been here yesterday....Blah Blah Blah. Oh well....At least the water was calm, another nice day for a boat ride around Narragansett bay:frown: We had to get back, so we left about 1:00 PM. dunno what happened on the rising tide. More Birds working downtown Boston than the bay on the way home