Spring Clave 2007 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Clave 2007

Quentin
05-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Wind, rain, more wind, more rain, birds, more birds, even more birds, loads of fish, good company, awesome feast, more wind and rain, more fish, broken rod tip (highsticking penalty :roll: ) more fish, and finally some sunshine. Probably my best trip to the Cape during the past 3 years :smokin: .

Thank you all for making this another great event. Special thanks to those involved in the planning, preparation and cleanup.

FishHawk
05-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Great time as usual. Fished into the teeth of the North East Wind with fish busting all over the place. One of the best times I've had fishing. Great to meet Jamie and Mark . Looking forward to the British Invasion. Good to see the gang.
FishHawk

FredA
05-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Very nice time. Wrist was sore from hand lining all those schoolies in. My mature, metered, sampling of the wonderful single malts and tequila allowed me to fish the bayside sunday am, unfettered by the apparent malaise others suffered, with basser and his buddy. I got skunked though but basser and his buddy managed half a dozen cookie cutter 10 #er's on top water plugs. Thinkin about goin to the dark side.

jfbasser
05-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Very nice time. Wrist was sore from hand lining all those schoolies in. My mature, metered, sampling of the wonderful single malts and tequila allowed me to fish the bayside sunday am, unfettered by the apparent malaise others suffered, with basser and his buddy. I got skunked though but basser and his buddy managed half a dozen cookie cutter 10 #er's on top water plugs. Thinkin about goin to the dark side.

Plugs under 2 ounces are not quite the dark side :smokin:

desmobob
05-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Wind, rain, more wind, more rain, birds, more birds, even more birds, loads of fish, good company, awesome feast, more wind and rain, more fish, broken rod tip (highsticking penalty :roll: ) more fish, and finally some sunshine. Probably my best trip to the Cape during the past 3 years

I had pretty much the same experience, right down to breaking the tip on my T3 trying to get a 27-incher in close enough to unhook. :rolleyes:

Despite the windy, cold and rainy weather, we had consistent good fishing on reasonably-sized fish with enough keepers mixed in to keep us happy. We also had fun watching the big schools of Menhaden and the terns diving on the sand eels on the Morris Island flats. We watched blackbacks pull some pretty large squid off that flat on the outgoing -- that was a first for me. We spotted Ospreys at Morrris Island and Pleasant Bay and watched a seal pup on the beach on the point off the Chatham Light.

Best of all was the great group of people that gather for the 'clave and the fishing around Chatham each season... it was great to see you all. I hope everyone had as good a time as I did.

Bob Scott
13 consecutive years making spring trips to Chatham and no end in sight.... :biggrin:

Guernseybass
05-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I’d also like to add my thanks for a great weekend. Good fishing, interesting weather and really great people.

In no particular order, thanks to:

Juro for organising it all and the fantastic food. Matt and Missy for drying my clothes & helping me break back in to my room. JimS, FishHawk, Popponsetbay, Adrian and Striblue for the continued great insight on the fishery. My long lost ‘cousin’ Craig, JimS (again), Flydoc and Jamie for the ‘drops’ of single malts that warmed weary bones in the evening as well as the conversation. Nmbrown and Flydoc (again) for the advice on Microbrews. Kennebecfly and the maine guys for the laughs and the chitter chatter. The squire for the sweet rack of ribs, and even sweeter waitresses. Jamie (again) and the Chatham cycle shop for helping fix my waders. Mother nature for her panoramas and living dramas as played out on Morris Island flats, and also for giving us a break on Saturday afternoon & evening. And finally, the fish for turning up – especially the 24” and three 22”s (but where is my elusive 28”? ) and their many many little friends, come back fatter girls. :wink:

I had a blast and I’ll see you all in the fall, or sooner if you’re lucky (or unlucky ?) starting with the 2nd Cape Crusade in June, AKA "the British Invasion"

Tightflylines y'all

Mark.

flydoc
05-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Mark and Jamie- great to finally meeting the two of you, after reading all your posts leading up to the Clave. Looking forward to fishing and knocking back a few with you and the rest of the blokes from the UK next month. Take care...hope Jamie's flight back goes off without a hitch.
Flydoc

Rupe
05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Sounds like there are a few fish around. Glad Jamie managed a few fish to keep Team UK in the picture.

How did you get on Mark?

3 weeks and counting.....

(must tie flies tonight...)

clouser UK
05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Do you guys realise that your killing the poor Brits who can't make it over to the Cape this year :D

Glad everyone had a good time........just wish i could have been there !

Dave:)

Stevo
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
It did sound like a great Clave and i'm soooo glad I'll be on the Cape in T-minus 23days and counting... Sorry Dave, couldn't resist it! :hihi:

juro
05-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I will try to post some pics after work today.

Adrian
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Dave17 hoists a nice spring schoolie ..
http://www.avsharp.com/sc0507/dave17.jpg
and releases another ..
http://www.avsharp.com/sc0507/dave173.jpg
Contemplation or maybe anticipation .. :smokin:
http://www.avsharp.com/sc0507/juro.jpg

juro
05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
ahh I recall that moment Adrian... the and then the place EXPLODED!!! We almost missed the bus :)

Adrian
05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Later back at the Stonehorse ...

Basser 'holds court' and Doc captures something on camera ..

http://www.avsharp.com/sc0507/basser.jpg

Juro does sterling stuff on the grill ...

http://www.avsharp.com/sc0507/juro2.jpg

Dave17 looks on and sips a cold one whilst his amazing Tuna sauce comes together on the next grill ....

http://www.avsharp.com/sc0507/dave172.jpg

desmobob
05-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Jay Frasier with a nice fish (and me getting in on the photo op)
http://home.earthlink.net/~desmobob/images/Cape%2007%20Jay%20Bob.jpg

Walt and Dennis
http://home.earthlink.net/~desmobob/images/Cape%2007%20Walt%20Dennis.jpg

Jay fishing the bar out at the first point from Chatham Light
http://home.earthlink.net/~desmobob/images/Cape%2007%20Jay%20surf.jpg

One of the many large schools of Menhaden that cruised over the flats at Morris Island
http://home.earthlink.net/~desmobob/images/Cape%2007%20Pogies.jpg

Good fishing,
desmobob

desmobob
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Last year, most of the guys got together for a group photo at the party. We forgot to get one this year. :frown:

Let's remember to do it next spring!

Good fishing,
desmobob

jfbasser
05-21-2007, 08:21 PM

A Fred A photo from the "Dark Side" of the Clave

juro
05-21-2007, 08:56 PM
At least they are fishing two-handers :lildevl:

Quentin
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Great photos :cool:

I wonder if there were stripers in the middle of those holes in the school of menhaden :whoa:

Q

juro
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Good fishing,
desmobob

desmobob -

that mass of bunker shot is INCREDIBLE

Don't tell the commercial netters :(

desmobob
05-21-2007, 09:18 PM
desmobob -

that mass of bunker shot is INCREDIBLE

Don't tell the commercial netters :(

Thanks. It was a lucky shot, considering I can't purchase a polarizing filter to fit on my little Sony digicam. (You can buy a conventional 35mm sized circular polarizer and hold it in front of a pocket digital camera lens. Too much for me to fiddle around with when standing in the water, though.).

That was only one school of the bunker. On that day (last Mon. or Tues.?), there were two or three schools that size cruising around the flat at any given time! I caught one on a small Ray's Fly and got my first up-close look at a Menhaden. Neat fish.

A few days later, I passed on the opportunity to take some equally interesting shots of the terns working that same flat (I was busy catching fish!). The smaller bait must have been there in large numbers as the terns were in big, loud, whirling flocks diving all over the place. Apparently there is a whole lot of food there. That flat produced our best fishing during the week previous to the 'clave.

I think the netters have already heard. :frown:

Quentin,

The bunker looked to be unmolested. One of the schools surrounded Jay and I and it was pretty cool to be standing in the middle of them, watching them swim past our legs. Casting into the schools produced no stripers. Casting behind the schools was good for a hook-up, but on normal schoolie-sized fish. We were hoping some cows would be chasing them around. I would have loved to see some big bluefish find those pogies.... :Eyecrazy: I think I would have got out of the water!

Good fishing,
desmobob

CSJ60
05-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Nice to see old friends and meet my long lost "cousin" ...

PopnesetBay
05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Juro, Sean,Matt and StoneHorse people, Jim S and all who pitched in to make this Spring Clave one I will never forget. Wet/Windy/Cold but all forgotten due to the incredible number of fish. Meeting so many new people I lost track of names and faces but what a terrific bunch of people. Saturday morning, waiting for the Rip Ryder, no matter where you looked there were Fly Fishermen and most of the time it looked like they all had bent rods and tight lines! The friendship, comraderie and help offered this past weekend is just a small display of what this site and its participants is all about. Again, my thanks to Juro and all that attended.

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

jamie
05-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Arrived home late last night, tired but still smiling.

Had a great time this weekend and thanks to all who did the arranging. Superb food on Saturday Juro (I still owe you $10) and Dave - that tuna.... what can I say, it was gorgeous. You have to let me know the unpronounceable name of that single malt Craig.

Good to renew some old acquaintances and make some new ones, especially enjoyed the cultural exchange with FishHawk, Chris and the guys. It is really important to be able to swear and slate like a native.

Sunday evening, I managed to kill my T3 and Tibor by leaving them on the roof of the car and then watching them bounce down the road in the rear view mirror; but even that did nothing to mar the joy of the weekend.

Jim thanks for looking after my gear until I get back in a few weeks.

I have been winding up the guys over here something crazy about stories from the Clave; I am sure they will get taller with the retelling.

Hope to catch up with a lot of you when I am back with the hombres on the 13th.

CSJ60
05-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey Jamie

Sorry to hear about the T3 and Tibor... Auchentoshan 21 year old, a Lowland malt whisky.

Warren
05-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Great photo's lads. The weather here in the Midwest was absolutely gorgeous. I will be home Wed & fishing Thursday, hopefully you guys saved enough fish to let go north towards The Merrimack:D

Looks like fun was had by all :cool:

shadfreak
05-22-2007, 09:12 PM
What a great weekend! I spent time with old friends, met new ones, and caught a bunch of fish. My only question is when can we do it again? Thanks to Juro and all of the others that worked to put the Spring Clave together. Its a testament to the strength and value of the Forum that it can bring such a great bunch of people together. Thank you Striblue and Pacman for putting me up Friday and Saturday nights.
Larry

vtloon
05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Outstanding! All who contributed are to be commended: new friends and a lot learned.

The Vermont contingent left mid-day Tuesday, and with that weather and the fish hitting like crazy it was HARD to leave. After lots of schoolies and a 31 inch fish, heading back north was no longer the preferred plan.

Quentin
05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
. . . The Vermont contingent left mid-day Tuesday, and with that weather and the fish hitting like crazy it was HARD to leave. After lots of schoolies and a 31 inch fish, heading back north was no longer the preferred plan.

I saw a vehicle with VT plates parked on the causeway on Saturday and wondered if it was someone from the FFF group.

It's going to be tough to get back into FW fishing now. Even the little stripers are better than most of the fish I get around here, and I can't think of too many times when I've had such fast and furious action in FW even with little fish.

Q

desmobob
05-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Outstanding! All who contributed are to be commended: new friends and a lot learned.

The Vermont contingent left mid-day Tuesday, and with that weather and the fish hitting like crazy it was HARD to leave. After lots of schoolies and a 31 inch fish, heading back north was no longer the preferred plan.

Hey vtloon,

I was fishing the Metawee River today at the NY/VT border. I was catching New York trout, but the water was fresh from Vermont! :hihi:

Nice meeting you at the 'clave,
desmobob

GMflyfish
05-23-2007, 09:43 PM
My first Spring Clave, and it was quite an interesting and enjoyable couple of days. I met and talked with just a few of the participants, and it was clear that there was a lot of fly fishing expertise present.
I made the trip to South Beach on Saturday, and experienced one of the most active striper fishing days I have witnessed. Sunday was a little tougher for me, but I still managed to land some.
Thanks to Juro and others who organized the affair, and to those who made the cookout a culinary delight.
I hope to participate in a future Clave, and again find great fishing and fine fishermen.
Thanks. GMflyfish.

Mike Oliver
05-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Guys,

Jamie just emailed a report on the Clave. I am worked up to fever pich already without Jamie fanning the flames any higher. Awesome fishing you guys had. I will be joing some of you on the Cape on the 4th June with my small Brit party of three. A pretty motely crew but keen as English Mustard. You know the kind that genuinally burns your tongue.

Been so busy building rods and preping gear have not had a chance to catch up on the forum. When I did I spotted a very nice invite from Popponesset Pete. Got to warn you Guys we have emptied some of your tackle shops even before we arrive at $2 to the £ it's retail therapy all the way.

I have just 7 days to finish three rods so the pressure is on big time. I am pretty easy to spot as I often fish from an old beat up wet suit and have been know to swim out to bars and rocks if safe to do so.

Really looking forward to meeting you Guys. Hope this fishing holds up until we arrive. Wife has turfed me out of the marital bed as I can't sleep thinking about the trip so I share the sofa with the dog currently he is a decent beast at least.

Tight Lines Guys. Pleased that the Conclave was a great success.

Mike

bonefishmon
05-26-2007, 04:57 AM
[QUOTE=Mike Oliver]Guys,

Jamie just emailed a report on the Clave. I am worked up to fever pich already without Jamie fanning the flames any higher. Awesome fishing you guys had. I will be joing some of you on the Cape on the 4th June with my small Brit party of three. A pretty motely crew but keen as English Mustard. You know the kind that genuinally burns your tongue.

Been so busy building rods and preping gear have not had a chance to catch up on the forum. When I did I spotted a very nice invite from Popponesset Pete. Got to warn you Guys we have emptied some of your tackle shops even before we arrive at $2 to the £ it's retail therapy all the way.

I have just 7 days to finish three rods so the pressure is on big time. I am pretty easy to spot as I often fish from an old beat up wet suit and have been know to swim out to bars and rocks if safe to do so.

Really looking forward to meeting you Guys. Hope this fishing holds up until we arrive. Wife has turfed me out of the marital bed as I can't sleep thinking about the trip so I share the sofa with the dog currently he is a decent beast at least.

Tight Lines Guys. Pleased that the Conclave was a great success.

Mike[/QUO

Just be careful the Grey Seals don't mistake you for another seal. It's mating season! LOL!!!!!!!!!

Phil

Mike Oliver
05-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Phil,

Them or the great Whites you guys sometimes get. Mind a man needs to take comfort wherever especially as I am now thrown out of my bed by wifey.

Tight lines

Mike