Winds shifting SW for a couple of days... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winds shifting SW for a couple of days...

juro
05-14-2007, 09:37 AM
:smokin:

I think this is going to be like the Red Sox 9th inning last night... clutch win for the clavers.

titleguy
05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Forecast looks decent as well- bring the foul weather gear.

Rip Ryder
05-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Hopefully, the next two days of SW 20-25 with gust to 40 will bring some of the warmer water up from mid atlantic to at least get us up into the 50' mark. Still showing 46-48' out there. Couple of days of mid 50' water may help get the metabolism of the cows fired up a bit. Like to start hearing more about larger fish other than schoolies and really skinny 30-31inch fish.

Capt Keith

PopnesetBay
05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Capt Keith

What time are you planning on the first departure Sat morn? From the looks of things there is going to be a goodly number at the "Clave" plus unknown number of non-clave fisherpeople!
Sat morn alarm clocks gotta be set so "Breakfast at Leo's" can be done, too!

juro
05-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Keith we're on the same wavelength brutha! I've been looking at the surface temp graphs again and the 'good stuff' is still down and away.

I was a bit worried Sat when the beach had no signs and the temps down in the lower basin were downright frigid on the lee of the north wind.

The tub was nice and warm and loaded with schoolies.

Heard from commercial guys that the squid are showing in numbers in the weir traps off Harwich and of course the herring runs are strong this year due to the moratorium.

Hope it all comes together...

Hopefully, the next two days of SW 20-25 with gust to 40 will bring some of the warmer water up from mid atlantic to at least get us up into the 50' mark. Still showing 46-48' out there. Couple of days of mid 50' water may help get the metabolism of the cows fired up a bit. Like to start hearing more about larger fish other than schoolies and really skinny 30-31inch fish.

Capt Keith

flydoc
05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Bring rain gear- present forecasts for Fri/Sat indicate possible showers.:frown:
Flydoc

juro
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Wind shifting north as well... but its been SW for days and surface temps on Nantucket Sound are primo... same as Buttermilk Bay

Adrian
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Get out there and practice those "off the windward shoulder" casts. :)

Rip Ryder
05-15-2007, 07:03 PM
The admiral and I will be there by 730am. Will probably start shuttling between 745 and 8am. Like last year there will be a couple of trips with a lot of long winter hellos before and between trips, so don't worry if breakfast runs over, we'll get you over there.

Capt Keith

juro
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Get out there and practice those "off the windward shoulder" casts. :)

North wind on the outside means strong side for righties, not the prevailing but I'll take it.

Adrian
05-15-2007, 07:28 PM
North wind on the outside means strong side for righties, not the prevailing but I'll take it.

I was thinking of the conga line on the inside. The 'hot spot' in the tub could be a challenge for the unprepared too:lildevl:

I'll be seeing you out front :smokin:

juro
05-16-2007, 10:26 AM
What a HUGE difference a couple of days makes!

http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/show/?file=../regions/capecod/sst/noaa/2007/img/070516.136.0713.n18.jpg

Previous images display a significant trend of warming.

Also note that flume of cold water (40s) reaching upward along the outer cape. Hope the shift clears all that and we see 50's on the outside this weekend despite expected strong north winds.

Dave17
05-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but "when the north winds blow the fish don't show" on the outside

juro
05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
That's a close second to "when the wind is east the fishing is least" on my hated sayings list :)

There's a lot of evidence that the biomass is still finning toward (vs. past) the elbow based on reports to the west. The "fish weir" on the inside of the Monomoy Refuge (since the closure) should be stalling new arrivals for us and I'm sure there are more than schoolies filling the trap daily between now and the dog days.

I'll bet a lot of fish have turned the corner the last couple of days with the temp shift, probably tucking into Pleasant Bay. WHo knows.

I'm sure there will be good fish to be had, the key is dialing in to the good ones with so many smaller ones around.

Warren
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Well Boys, Good luck fishing this weekend, I am leaving for Chicago in the morning, I will be thinking of ya while I am in the Midwest not fishing. I hope the weather is not as rough as the forecast predicts & the Cows come home for one & all:D

PEC54
05-16-2007, 07:08 PM
As we get closer to the w/e the off and on showers are slowly turning into 3 day steady rain.:mad:

jfbasser
05-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Glad I purchased a Grunden top for this year. The one with the fleece inside:)

FishHawk
05-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Memories of the Monsoon Clave of a few years ago. Looks like it's going to happen again. What 's a Clave without the rain?:hihi: :D FishHawk

PEC54
05-17-2007, 07:08 AM
As the cries of the British are a comin, the British are a comin fill the air, I think they done brought dare weata wid em. Aye me maties send a vollie over dare bow sends em back from which dey come , hang em from the yardarm by da ankles and shake em till dey drop all dare flies.:hihi:

Good fishing to all and a safe trip here and back.

juro
05-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Best striper day possibly of my life... this time of year 2004, or was it 2003? Nor'easter coming hard, rain, the kitchen sink.

All captains in the area had cancelled their charters. I drove up to Harry Koons Place and several hardcores were gathered around his fire, which was stoked - just to give you an idea of how cold it was.

Suddenly a vibe came over me and I stood up and said "well I am going fishing". The room of hardcores laughed their asses off as if I had made a great joke. But I was serious and left.

When I arrived at the spot I had to re-start and move my truck quartered to the wind to prevent it from ripping my drivers side door off the hinges. I am dead serious.

The flaps of my rainhood slapped my cheeks so loud in the wind that they were beet red by the time I got to the water.

The sand was blowing so hard that it sand-blasted my waders and I had to lean hard forward and dig each step in the mile walk just to move ahead.

Even the thin profile of the rod was like a sail and had to be carried backwards into the wind.

When I arrived, casting was limited to punching 40 feet into a headwind. The rain flew upwards at times and my neck was soaked from inside. Wind swirled like an angry brushpainting on the surface and and some gusts almost knocked me on my butt.

However a raft of cows moved in from the storm and decided to wallow directly in front of me, flashing and feeding viciously on any innocent bait passing by.

After 17 keepers most exceeding 20# no idea how many lost, one of which hit the fly as I fed the line back out for a new cast (all fish were deep into the drag). It was like being at an all-you-can-eat buffet where they are serving filet, king crab and you can't even fit a sip of water, never mind the heavenly dessert after a while. I had enough, sated beyond sated and let the wind push my ass back to the truck and got some hot chowder.

I don't know why I loved that day so much. Maybe it was because of how freakin' nuts the world was acting yet making the connection to such quality fish on a hunch and they were right there where I thought they would be due to the storm. Or maybe it was because I could have been the only guy fishing - never mind flyfishing on the entire cape that day.

The bluebirds are coming. We'll see who the real fishermen are now won't we? :lildevl:

Jim Miller
05-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Great story Juro!
makes one realize how much we love this game!

striblue
05-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Does anyone have a bead on Keiths position? Otherwise we walk! from the Iron man:D

Adrian
05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Can't think of a better way to start a clave than the traditional "deathmarch".:lildevl: I wonder if my waders are up to it .....:Eyecrazy:

Guernseybass
05-17-2007, 10:14 AM
this may be a dumb question, but what is the benefit of taking the ferry to the SB if the wind is 20-30 mph from the NE ?

won't that push the bait and the fish off shore on the outside , and on the inside slam that cast straight into your shoulder ?

:confused:

Mark.

juro
05-17-2007, 10:59 AM
If for no other reason, the tub area is typically socked with fish due to a significant difference in water temperature, presence of bait, and this year because they will swim in and be disoriented until they go back out the same way.

A NE wind willl not push fish offshore but it will raise the surf which may / may not cause fish to use the inner slot between the longshore bar that has formed, or not. If they decide to do that, then it may be even easier to fish because the outer bar kills the waves. Typically the best fishing is outside the bar but if the storm makes them run inside the bar then there is low-turbulence angling to be had despite wind.

Are you talking about inside? That would push stuff against the sound but the tide is coming from the sound (only) nowadays so not sure what the effect will be. I did notice the crib seemed much bigger and deeper than I had seen it in years.

And if you don't take the ferry, just fish the refuge down the steps but if you don't walk around you'll have it in the teeth all day.

I am hoping to get over to the far side of the land bridge... not sure where the drop is but that is a HUGE reason to take the ride if thats where you are headed.

Guernseybass
05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
HI juro, thanks for the info - you have given me plenty to think about.

I might fish 1/2 a day on the SB and see how i get on.

cheers

Mark.

juro
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
The wind forecast has been updated - mild on Sunday, nothing big on Sat with a swing to the South mid-day.

Nothing to worry about in my book...

however: I dont mean to downplay the conditions - the marine forecast still looks rough, but the direction is supposed to swing from north component to south mid-day

Dave17
05-17-2007, 02:14 PM
We'll be just fine:smokin: . Nothing can compare with two years ago. Took me a full day to dry out and warm up.

juro
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
What I remember most about two years ago... was how many fish there were :smokin:

FishHawk
05-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Great story Juro. Just think how good a "wee dram" will taste after being pounded by surf , wind and rain . What amazed me most about the "Moonsoon Clave was everyone to a man fished the whole day despite the rain. FishHawk

Rip Ryder
05-17-2007, 05:52 PM
As long as we can get some managable winds, I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.
Rain is no problem. Right now is sounds like the winds may be tolerable, but lots of direction changes.

juro
05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Your judgement is respected as always captain.

Right now they're saying WNW by mid-day and under 10 mph... that would make for some very comfortable casting around Morris if we don't get across.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=02633&hourly=1&yday=138&weekday=Saturday