Loomis two-handed beach rods [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Loomis two-handed beach rods

Angelo
05-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I've been doing the single-handed thing for a long time now and am just getting into two-handers. I've just placed an order with Bob Meiser for my first freshwater two-hander for small/med light river work that I'm looking forward to receiving. No doubt I will also be ordering a big river rod from him at some point.

Now, my primary stomping grounds are the NE surf. I've been doing a little research on overhead two-handed beach rods. There's plenty of informatin on this forum regarding the CND rods and even TFO and LL Bean. I have not found a lot of information regarding the Loomis 11'3" 10/11 and 12/13 Loomis CrossCurrent beach rods and was wondering if anyone here has any input on them. Just doing a little researching here for this application.

I have a feeling the 12/13 would be a little much for the NE (I mean actually enjoying the fish you're fighting) over the long run, but I have a potential "other" use for this rod. I am entertaining the idea of taking it with me to Christmas Island this fall for GT (assuming I can actually pack and take the thing with me), at least for the guide to hold on the flats instead of using my single-handed 12wt, and then just use the single 12 for the boat, or even the two-hander.

Any thoughts/input/experience with the Loomis rods would be appreciated.

Warren
05-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Angelo,
I have been doing the same research as you, from what I gather from the catalogs I have been looking at, the Loomis rods are new this year. Apparently they are similar to the CND rods.

I am leaning towards the CND 1109 ( I think they call it) However I am going to go down & look over a Loomis 10/11 if the shop that sells them here has one in stock.

Keep us posted on what you find out

juro
05-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Lets keep this discussion going... I would like to try all of the new two-hand overhead casting rods coming into vogue lately.

Maybe I will contact the manufacturers to get loaners to try and report on them - that would make an interesting piece for the main site articles section.

2HandTheSalt
05-13-2007, 08:25 PM
If you like Meiser rods, check out his version of the Surf Launcher, which is a 3-piece 11'4". It is a real corker with a 650 grain Skagit.

Eddie
05-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Meisser has joined up with tfo. I wonder what that will bring?

Adrian
05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Meisser has joined up with tfo. I wonder what that will bring?
Wow - that could be very interesting. Just when I thought I was "Safe" from further temptation ......:smokin: