Fly Fishing Forum banner

SEA RUN BROOK TROUT

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Salter 
#1 ·
Here is a small report of my foirst sea run brookie outing of 2007

Yesterday morning me and my wife went to try our luck on the local sea run brook trout fishery here on the north shore of Quebec.

It was a sunny and it was also pretty warm practicaly no wind what so ever. We got 5 trout total in the 15 to 20 inch range

Location: QUEBEC NORTH SHORE, Saint LAurence ( outlet of a small stream)
Temperature: 79 F
Line: AIRFLO INTERMEDIATE
Leader: 5 LBS
ROD: GATTI FR107 3PA
REEL: ROSS
FLY: SANDEEL IMITATION AND CAPELAN IMITATION (STREAMER)

Jocelin

See less See more
#7 ·
Wow! That is very cool!
Salter, when you say your Ma fish was right in the salt water, did you mean actually in the open ocean as Manitou's was? [as determined by the rock weed in the forground and open water in the background].

Those are really special fish. Seeing those pictures tempts me to brush the dust off the 5 wt.

Way back in the early 80s my Dad used to take me to the Cape to fish for the salt run browns the state used to stock. We caught many 12 - 15 inch fish but the five pounders we could often see never did sucumb to our flies. Kind of a shame that program died although I'd rather see them invest the resources in the natives.
I've been aware of the existence of the small run of salters in SE MA but never believed there'd be enough of them to target. Might have to rethink that.

#8 ·
Natives

Mikez,

That Salter was caught right where a little stream dumps into a salwater bay, well below head of tide; not quite the marine enviorment that Manitou's trout was caught in.

A number of streams in SE Mass. still have remnant populations of Salters. These Salters are the only native trout to coastal Mass. There are still some sea-run Brown trout fishing to be had on Cape Cod, Mass F&W still stocks brown trout in a few streams, such as Scorton River. Mass F&W no longer stocks brown trout into streams that have wild populations of native Salters.

Michael

#10 · (Edited)
Tight-lines,

The Connetquot River is a put and take fishery for trout. There is a trout hatchery right on the river, within the State park. I'm sure there are some wild Brookies left, but the river is stocked each year with Brookies, Rainbows and Browns. All three types of trout migrate to saltwater, with some VERY big Browns & Rainbows running back to spawn. The Brown return in the fall while the Rainbows (Steelhead) return in the spring. The hatchery had a major disease problem over the past winter, and I heard that most/all of the trout had to be killed. I don't know what effect that has had on the fishing, maybe some board members could update us.

Michael

#11 ·
Salter,
I must say I don't know much about the Connetquot. I thought the hatchery was established to preserve the wild strain of brookies. Somehow a put and take fisherie isn't quite as appealing as a wild fishery. Although, not to be hypocritical I do fish the Erie tribs and they are definatlly a put and take situation. Do you know of any waters in Maine that support wild searun trout? I'm hopeing to get up there for a little vactaion this summer. I've never had the oppertunity to fish an area that could support such a species it would be interesting to give it a try.

#12 ·
Maine indeed has some salter waters but most of them are stocked browns (all browns are from Europe). I have read that there are a few wild salter brookie waters in Maine though, in fact right up thru northern Canada.

There were native searun brookies on the cape, I'll get the CT river had some at one point too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.