Clave Fishin [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Clave Fishin

FredA
05-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Anybody got itches to scratch. Long range forcast looks favorable and I have a few venues I'd like to look at. One, obviously, is south beach but looking around last weekend has me thinking of other possibilities. Maybe the yak is in order.

Friday evening I'll probably swing a fly in the river by the house. Fish will be there if anybody cares to join me. The blues bar thing in Hyannis sounds like just the ticket to kick off the weekend, that is, if I were 20 years younger. Must be the wisdom of approaching middle age creeping in.

sean
05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
I am debating checking out the cut up on nauset with the yak on Saturday. May just do it Sunday instead if I can get the day off to fish but I am not sure that will happen or not.

-sean

titleguy
05-11-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm dragging my boat down this weekend to gather a little G-2 and leaving it for next weekend. Plan to check out the cut tomorrow morning, last two hours of incoming.:hihi:

Adrian
05-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I will certainly have the yak and would also like to check out the new cut. Sunday would work for me too. I plan to be on the Cape all week-end :smokin:

Lets see how the weather shapes up over the coming week.

juro
05-11-2007, 11:15 AM
A weekend won't cover all the spots I hope to scout but... it sure beats workin!

I will take the Rip Ryder one day and possibly oversand on Nauset the other, down to the cut. I can pack several anglers in the back if interested.

Not definite yet though, I have to see about the permit renewal etc. I got a letter saying I don't need to re-inspect given the same registration since 2006.

let's collaborate more as the weekend approaches

Guernseybass
05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I will likely arrive now late friday afternoon.

I was thinking about a river on the outgoing for then, So I may take you up on your offer Fred.

saturday I am open to suggestions. is north monomoy worth a shot ?

Sunday i was planning on chatham light on the incoming before i leave mid afternoon. ( assuming the chatham harbor tide time is the right one)

Mark.

FishHawk
05-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Did some pre-Clave recon today . Fish are very hungry forthe Deep Eel. FishHawk:lildevl:

juro
05-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Shook hands with Admiral Ed for the first time of the season this morning and headed down to see Capt'n Keith with my friend Bill and two birders. Heard fishawk was out there but did not cross paths.

We walked pretty far down the beach looking for migrants but nothing happening there. Wind was howling and it was very cold, if things don't change by next week wear layers.

The NEW midway washover was still pushing volumes of ocean water into the refuge basin even at half ebb! So if this keeps us thru the summer (depends on a barrier bar clearing) then fresh ocean water will be keeping SB good in the dog days. I hope it blows wide open like Nauset! It could go either way... I know which way I want it to go. Gentlemen, get your shovels lets clear that puppy!

Anyway the temps inside near the cut were frigid whereas the tub water was actually quite warm as expected. Schoolies on top all over the place and we lost count of the fish landed, only one in the 'just under' class but nice to get into the drag on the first outing.

Let's hope for a lot of wind from the south and really hot days until the clave, when the wind can lay down and leave us with bluebird conditions and loads of newly arriving fish. Cash in any credits you have with the weather gods this week.

Schoolies galore over on the refuge side as well. Sand eels are back and reports of lots of squid, herring in the traps.

South Beach shoreline structure was fair and could make things easy due to longshore bar - but who knows how long it will last. Also if the ends of the bar opens up things could get silly good next weekend.

Still could turn out to be a mecca year with a nice bar probably dry for minus tides. The outer bars were dry near low past big girl and in the middle of the inlet on the ocean's edge.

Lighthouse beach has become non-descript and has lost a lot of sand this winter. Humps in front of the rockpile gone and a repeat of four years ago on the immediate front beach for anyone who remembers that.

Did not go up to look at the Nauset cut but there was a nice aerial on the front page of the cape cod times today.

Sandwich and coffee was excellent at the Chatham Village Cafe as usual as was a hot chowdah at the Squire afterwards, which was hoppin' today.

Good to see the homewaters again after a long winter, headed home on the noon ferry and am back to reality to knock off obligations.

No lack of schoolies already, keep the fingers crossed for the cows to come home in time for our clave.

bonefishmon
05-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Juro. Thanks for the report. Very encouraging!

Phil

barramundi-uk
05-13-2007, 04:16 AM
Thanks youve brought a ray of sunshine and hope into a dreary rainy English Sunday.

Back to the Vice 3 weeks and 3 days to go !!
:smokin:

kennebecfly
05-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the reports guys My brothers and I will be arriving in Chatham sometime Thur. morning and we are looking forward to seeing everyone again. And hammering some bass :D

Doc Duprey
05-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Fred,

Think a quiet evening of swinging a fly near your house sounds like just what the Doc ordered. If I can remember how to get there, I'll see you Friday PM. I'm not sure I can handle a night of blues and beer after the drive. The only thing worse than getting older...is not getting older. :cool:

Best regards,

-Doc

FredA
05-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Errant post that was supposed to be a pm. Got nothin to say. See ya all.

titleguy
05-14-2007, 07:00 AM
The new cut is gorgeous. Drove around it on Saturday afternoon. Fished the bay from noon until 4 in howling NE winds, managed one nice fish off the tip of Strong and missed another- that was it.:( Fished the lighthouse with the long rod for a couple of hours yesterday- missed one saw one other caught. Squire was fun Saturday night, or so they tell me.:devil: Be down there about non on Friday.

striblue
05-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks Juro....looking good. I will arrive mid day on Friday and will meet at the Squire in the eve, then Fishhawk and aothers are stoping by CAC...anyone around should feel free to drop by also...send Keith a PM to let him and Porky know to drop by if they want.... will take the ripryder on Sat morn then leave for home after the Sat night dinner...john

jamie
05-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Apart from my sorry rear and plenty of gear, what else should one be bringing to the clave.

I was going to bring a bottle of my favourite single malt and some gin (but I might just drink all the gin afore you guys getsee)

I heard mention of flies?

jimS
05-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Jamie, looking forward to seeing you at the clave. If you are entering Juro's big fish contest, bring a half dozen flies. It is the entry fee. Oh, and don't forget the Marmite for the Brits joining the clave. Are you bringing waders this time?

Adrian
05-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Apart from my sorry rear and plenty of gear, what else should one be bringing to the clave.

I was going to bring a bottle of my favourite single malt and some gin (but I might just drink all the gin afore you guys getsee)

I heard mention of flies?
Flies would be a good idea :)

Per Juro's report above - sounds like a real early season smorgasbord of sandeels, squid and herring.

Not sure if the adult menhaden (bunker) made it into the refuge yet but based on reports from New York all the way up the coast, there are big fat oily jucy adult menhaden everywhere and the cows just love to gorge on them. They will almost certainly be schooled up at the entrance to a well known harbor getting the attentions of big hungry bluefish. Look for moby stripers hanging deep feasting on the damage done by the blues.

So, I would pack a fair selection of 'deep eel' style flies for the sand-eels and some bigger patterns for the herring, squid and bunker. Deceivers, hollow flies, flatwings - whatever takes yer fancy :smokin:

p.s. What time are you arriving - Thursday?

I'm working on being in the Cambridge office so I can escape to the Cape early in time for steamers at Squires

jamie
05-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Jim, looking forward to catching up too. Bringing waders, but they are leaking a little atm so might end up just as damp.

LOL Marmite; just stocked up on some yesterday. Cannot have toast in the morning without a good spread of the black cream.

Adrian, land at 1300 and have to swing by the Bearsden on the way down, to pick up a load of stuff I'm muleing back to the UK for a bunch of guys looking to take advantage of the exchange rate. Not sure I told them about the Jamie Tax!! Big empty case and rod tube on the way in, loaded on the way out. So reckon I should be settled into the motel for early evening. Squires sounds good. I was also checking out the tides for the light for an evening warmer upper.