Spring Clave - Friday Night Blues at Harry's [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Clave - Friday Night Blues at Harry's

juro
05-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Let's have a show of hands for those who will join me at Harry's Blues Bar in Hyannis on the way back from the ditch or whereever you are coming from...

http://www.harrysbluesbar.com/

This place has been doin blues on the cape for 20 years and I am ashamed to say I have never been there!

Let's do it up for dinner.

Adrian
05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
O.K - I am in :)

Dave17
05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
No can do. My flight lands in Boston at 11:30 pm.

juro
05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Sean -

can you round up the canal rats for this?

jamie
05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Been there before, nice place and the food is good.

I'll be there. What time you reckoning?

juro
05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
8:00 pm - so people don't have to leave the evening bite if they don't wish to.

juro
05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
No can do. My flight lands in Boston at 11:30 pm.

Thats what STANDBY is for! ;)

sean
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah I should be able to make it. Not sure I will stay on the canal that long (most likely a morning thing) and will probably be tracking back from chatham.

-sean

juro
05-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Limited choices for this kind of venue on the cape...

But if you don't feel like driving the sound side should be hot right in the Hyannis area in May, especially with the tide dropping at the Parker River mouth (herring run) has been good in spring as is the outlet at Squaw Island at the rocks or the inlet and Hyannisport in general with the possibility of large May squid.

Penguin should have the pulse on it from his nest next to Lewis Bay (remember that aerial shot from Lewis Bay he posted one May?)

Maybe a recon is in order...

sean
05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah maybe some of our squiddy friends will be hanging down on the south side getting harrassed by some cows... Think Adrian is bringing his yak so maybe an afternoon paddle is in order...

Otherwise how much is a cab ride from the squire to hyannis :devil:

-sean

jfbasser
05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah I should be able to make it. Not sure I will stay on the canal that long (most likely a morning thing) and will probably be tracking back from chatham.

-sean

Canal is surely a morning thing. Early birds fish at Bell. Meet others for coffee. Scout a few other canal spots in small groups. Then "Breakfast at Leo's" The Farside folks then head further down the Cape, maybe hit Barnstable Harbor on the way, or try some flats fishing near the canal and then head down....leaving plenty of time to get some Blues music in.

juro
05-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Beginning of the ebb thru dark is typically squid heaven at Dowses Beach, which is on the way to Hyannis from the ditch on the south side.

With a yak it's a simple launch at the end of the parking lot and you will have one of the most productive spring bull blues (15# and up) eating foot long squid at around 4:30-5pm on the opposite point.

We had a small sortie there one year and some Nantucket sleigh rides were had by forum yakkers but it was not a spring squid show, rather an attempt at fall hardtails which also love this spot.

We should go offline for some of the other spots that should be lit up pretty well Friday around the top of the tide thru the drop on that stretch.

Quentin
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I hope to be on the cape before first light on Friday morning. I might even try to meet the canal crew, although I might be under-gunned with my 9wt single-hander. I'm staying near Bass River so I figure I'll focus on the south side on Friday, and I'm sure I'll be ready for a good garbage burger and some tasty beverages and blues at Harry's before I'm ready to call it a night. Please add me to the PM list for any offline discussions.

Can't wait! ! !

Q

mikez
05-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok this is neither here nor there but I can't help it...
Any of you older folks ever go to concerts at the old Cape Cod Coliseum in S Yarmouth?
Oh ya, hot sweaty weather, cheap beer, PCP, Rock & Roll, general admission and Don Law's bouncers. Those were the days! You kids don't know what fun you missed!:chuckle:
Ok, the FlashBack is over. I return you to your regularly scheduled fishing thread.

juro
05-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Jeff Beck
Lynyrd Skynerd
Aerosmith
Rick Derringer

just to name a few...

the parking lot was as much of a party as the concert :D

mikez
05-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow! We must have crossed paths at some of those shows!
You're right about the parking lot. We used to try and get there as soon as they opened the gates. Fun times!

Adrian
05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
O.K. now I'm not so sure .....

I'll be at the ditch in the morning but need to get back to Chatham before the Town Hall closes to grab a rec clamming permit, then run across to Brewster for the Season Car Park pass.

Sounds like a lot of folks will be headed for the squire so I might hang in Chatham with the rest of the "residents" ......

Doc Duprey
05-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Squire on Friday sounds like a plan for those of us tired from our travels. Steamers and a Harp, or maybe a Black and Tan (the REAL one, not that stuff from Pottstown, PA :cool: ) should be restorative.

What time are folks thinking about?

Best regards,

-Doc

juro
05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Well it's funny how you cross the bridge and suddenly the distance between exit 8 and exit 11 becomes longer than the distance from hither to don :hihi:

Happens to me too. Anyway, a half rack of ribs and back on the road in an hour and half is the plan.

For those fishing Friday, I will bet a beef brisket sandwich that the best fishing on Friday (for larger fish on squid) will be on the sound side close to Harry's anyway.

I will count heads tomorrow and call the blues bar to rsvp.

jimS
05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Adrian, the shellfish licenses for Chatham are sold at the annex, across from the airport on Sam Ryder Road.

Adrian
05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Jim - thats great info - thanks!

jimS
05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Adrian, correction. Think the airport is on George Ryder Road, not Sam Ryder.

Quentin
05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Juro, please call me if the plans for Harry's don't come together. Cell# is 413-212-0689 (phone will be off, please a leave message).

Q

juro
05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Q -

There will still be several there so stop by. Squire will always be there but this place has been here for over 20 years and I've never been in it. Great reviews too.