CT River pike, 05/06/07 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: CT River pike, 05/06/07

Dble Haul
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Sean Juan was aboard my boat today for some pike fishing to complete his weekend of fishing in CT. Our striper fishing from Saturday is already reported in the saltwater forum.

We launched late morning to windy conditions. I knew where the pike would be, but wanted to run far upriver to show Sean some other good spots with the hope of hooking a few. The run upriver brought us to turbid conditions that only produced one fish.

We worked our way back down and started to hit a few inlets with clearer water. The fish activity increased with several follows and a few missed strikes. I finally decided to take Sean to where I knew the pike would be, and we were rewarded within five minutes of fishing.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/mdysinger/CTRiverpike0507.jpg

This area has wonderful structure, clearer water, and warmer temperatures. The fish were much more active here, and we were able to boat several fish. For every fish hooked, we had at least one follow and/or strike.

Sean has a picture or two that he may share to accompany this report. Again, a good day with a good friend. The pike action should stay steady for at least a few more weeks.

Quentin
05-07-2007, 09:45 PM
. . . we were able to boat several fish. For every fish hooked, we had at least one follow and/or strike.

Sounds like an awesome day. The follows and hits/misses are just as much fun as hooking up :Eyecrazy: (well, almost!).

Q

FrenchCreek
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Hah-Hah Said the blind man...
I see a Pinkoid Wooly Bully hanging in that toothy mouth! I'm glad it worked for you guys.
I was out last week for an exploratory visit to a new reservoir. It was built & flooded only 3 years ago. Found some fish in one or two areas, but still have about 90% of the place to fully explore. It sure looks promisiing, we had about 20 fish in a 3 hour stretch, biggest was about 7 Lbs., all of them were short but real fat/stocky. They all love the Pinkoid! Heading out again tomorrow.... more exploration.

Dble Haul
05-08-2007, 09:09 AM
I see a Pinkoid Wooly Bully hanging in that toothy mouth!

Yeah, that seems to be the one color that they consistently want. Some days yellow, white, or chartruese will work, but all days the pink works.

Have fun exploring the rest of that resevoir.

Sean Juan
05-09-2007, 08:05 AM
The night after the trip I had a very vivid dream of the pike that slashed at my fly, and then took off to slash at Mark's - definitely the best part of pike fishing is the way they hit.

Jeff Sod
05-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Nice fish!

What fly are you using there exactly? I found a spot near my house that has some pike I want to try and target and am curious about what flies to use. I have a couple of Chartruese Half and Halfs already.

Dble Haul
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Jeff, here is a link to the pattern and recipe:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=19226&highlight=wooly+bully

I was out on the water again today for a few hours, but the wind was horredous and water clarity poor. Boat control was difficult, and I lost one pike near the boat. I managed to land a few small bass, but that was it.

What a difference a week makes in the fishing conditions.

Jeff Sod
05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks very much for the link. Now if I could only find the time to tie some up :)