Rod advice needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rod advice needed

kz308
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi everyone,

First off, I don't realy have a fly shop near me where I would be able to actualy be able to try out any rods and reels so I wanted to know what you guys thought about the Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Proffesional rods in the 5-6 weight range or if you knew of any other rods in that price range (about 150 - 250) that were better. Also I realy don't know what I'm doing as far as reels go somewhere in the same price range as the rod would be up to what I'm willing to spend. I'm going to be doing alot of fishing in the Flatbrook for trout here in Jersey (its a maybe 30-40 feet across at the widest points) and I'd also like to take it into the Deleware for smallmouth the occasional striper (up to like 2 feet) and possibly shad.

Any suggestions would be much appriciated. I'd like the setup to be within that price range but I could go as high as $600 or so but would rather not. I've been flyfishing for 10 years or so and would like a replacement that would be more versatile for the browning one my dad got for me when I was 8 or 9.

Thank you guys,

~Jordan

fishnut
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
This is one of those questions that bring out a lot of gear snobs, and while I tend to lean that way I will tell you that I like them. They are not as good as the GLX or Z Axis to name a couple but they are a third the money. They are a bit heavier than the high end rods and not finished as pretty but they are great casters with alot of power for the average to very good fly rodder. They do have a good warrenty and that is another thing to look at. I cast them side by side with the Sage Launch and thought they cast with more athority. I have high end rods as well as a couple of the TFO rods that I bought for back ups mostly but I will tell you I use the TFOs alot! Another in that price range I just picked up as a back up is an Echo 2 in a 9' 6wght salt water and it is a great casting rod but I have yet to fish with it (I've only had it a week). There are some decent reels out there in the same price range and a couple I just picked up is the CDL from Redington and also a Teton Tiogo. I've, so far, been very pleased with how they perform but I cant tell you how long they will last. Again the warranty is very good with both these reels. Over all I would say you will not go wrong if you go with the TFO or the Echo.