Great afternoon just not what I expected [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Great afternoon just not what I expected

shadfreak
05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
You know how your best plans can often go awry. Today I went to fish the Millers River looking for some active trout. My first stop was where a small brook joins the river and there were caddis all over the water and nothing eating them. The next stop is a really good run for throwing streamers but when I got to the parking lot there were 4 cars there and I don't like people that much. (except you guys :chuckle: ) I was at a loss for ideas because the high of the river is still limiting access in some spots. After deciding that I'd rather walk the river then go home I drove downstream to a pool that it seems like I am the only person that fishes it because I always have it to myself. It's a long way from any stocking point and while it holds trout, smallmouths are the ticket here.
The first 15 minutes of fishing here had my thinking that I had made a bad choice. No hits no runs no errors. Now and then I will get stuck on a particular fly or pattern and use nothing else but more often I will change flies even when I'm catching fish. I looked in the two fly boxes that I had with me for the magic bullet that would save my afternoon from being fishless. The fly that I chose was an orange rabbit crayfish with rubber legs. Check out the picture of the bass that must have been waiting all day for that fly. Also look at the size of the crayfish that was in her throat. The last picture is the pool itself, nuf said.
Larry

6401 6402 6403

shadfreak
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I'll get the pictures up soon
Larry

teflon_jones
05-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Nice fish!!!

Quentin
05-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Now that's a football! Must have fought almost as hard as a shad :hihi: . Looks like an awesome spot too. Thanks for the report and pics :cool: .

Q