buying a t-130 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: buying a t-130

jero
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Ive been searching for a sinking tip line for general trout use, rivers, lakes and streams (for a number 5 rod), mostly nymph fishing and sometimes streamers. Im looking for a "jack of all trades" sinking tip. Ive been offered a teeny t-130 line from a local fly shop.

I dont know much about this line and I would like some advice if it will be ok for my fishing needs. My impressions are the following, please let me know if Im mistaken:

-is the sinking part on those shooting head type lines too long (I think is about 24 ft.) for my intentions? Im afraid I wont be able to mend correctly or pull the whole 24 feet of line under the water for a new cast (my grade as a caster is around "C-") but the shop owner says it ok, that shorter sink tips wont serve me for my purpose.
-I asked him what about a 5-10 feet sinking tip, and according to him they are "an antiquity and nobody uses them anymore".

- I hear shooting tapers are prone to tangle up your leaders (wind knots, etc.) if you are not a good caster. will this be a problem?

-I hear you have to be able to get a lot of line out to correctly "load" your rod for a nice shot. Will I be able to cast correctly if I dont get the whole 24 feet out of the head out?

-If I bought that line and cut the shooting head to about 12 feet, would it cast ok?

Would it be better to get something like a "Rio streamer line" or a teeny mini-tip
for my fishing needs?? any recommendations??
thanks you
jero

Warren
05-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Jero,

For what it is worth, I use Rio or SA sink tip lines( class II or III) for most of my trout & bass fishing in streams & rivers. If I need more sinking power I add some weight to the leader

For lakes I use a full sinking line( Rio deep 7 on a 6 or 7 wt rod) more often than not for subsurface fishing. If the fish on the lake are rising I use a floater of course

I very seldom use a full sinker in rivers, But where I fish there is really no need to either.

I use full sinking lines or fast sink tips such as Rio DC 350 on a 9 wt all the time in the salt water.