disassembling rod? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: disassembling rod?

jero
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
the other day a casting instructor told me that in order for the rod to work at its best (and avoiding broken junctures) as a single unit the pieces have to be VERY STRONGLY attached. The thing is, its a bit hard to put it apart afterwards. He recommended carrying latex gloves in your rod case to help you twist the rod pieces free.
Grabbing the guides makes it easier but something tells me its not a smart thing to do...

any hints or tips?
thank you

ps. went stillfishing the other day following juro´s and frenchcreek´s advice. Caught myself a nice little trout BUT very violent he was. Had tons of fun.

juro
04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Leave the rod in cold water or apply ice / cold to the ferrule. Most of the time it will come apart easily.

Bracing the guides in between the fingers to add to the overall grip of the hand is not out of the question but never apply force to guides that is independent of the force being applied to the blank itself.

FrenchCreek
04-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Here is another trick, wax the male ferrule with simple candle wax. This does not prevent a tight fit when you put the rod together but it does prevent the "stuck" ferrule problem.

Smcdermott
04-30-2007, 10:52 AM
I wax the male ends of the ferrules using a candle. I also agree with the latex gloves suggestion. I keep a couple dishwashing gloves in my fly tying closet in case I have some stubborn ones. You don't even have to put them on just wrap around the rod and twist. Wrapping a few large rubber bands around the rod will also work in a jam. Basically anthing that will help you grip the rod but not damage the finish. I also agree that you should not use the guides for leverage/grip.

Sean

Skilly
04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Pic up a roll of shelf liner the padded rubber kind at your local mart. Cut a couple of 4"x4" squares stick um in the car or in your vest. Grab each section with one and you will be able to take it right apart. I also wax the ferrules, but only use Parafin wax. It is used for caning and will be in with the canning supplies. Some of the chemicals in candles may attack the finish on your rod.

Skilly

PMac68
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
I am pretty new at this but my local fly shop owner echoed the waxing of the male end as well as twisting the blanks apart 1/4 of a turn.

FredA
05-01-2007, 04:11 AM
I had never had a problem with a stuck ferrule and never understood why, until this past weekend. In hindsight, I always gripped the rod at the grip and gave a little twist. I had the reel seat of my favorite rod come apart at the end of the last season and had repaired it. I used the rod to test out the repair and when taking it apart I took care to grip the blank instead of the grip and couldn't get it apart without a little help from my friends. Interesting, these little life lessons.

teflon_jones
05-01-2007, 06:07 AM
I've never had a stuck ferrule, though I've had a few that came close. I don't use wax or anything else. There's no need to jam the pieces together as hard as you can. As long as they're firmly attached you're fine. If you can't pull the pieces apart without using a special trick, then you're probably putting them together too tightly.

If for some reason you can't get them apart, the best trick I know is the put the rod behind both knees and grasp one section in each hand. Press your wrists apart using your knees. This gives you a great mechanical advantage since you can use your knees to press perpendicular to the rod with a lot of force. This is very difficult to do with just your arms because your arms aren't that strong compared to your legs, plus it's nearly impossible to really pull straight apart with just your arms. Add in a little twist if you have to.

As you said, never put torque on the guides unless you like fishing a rod without them. ;)

Dave17
05-01-2007, 09:27 AM
I second the cold water suggestion. Science at its finest and cheap too. dip the rod in the water that you are fishing for 30 seconds and she'll separate every time.