Bunker- seal invasion! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bunker- seal invasion!

bonefishmon
04-27-2007, 07:35 PM
In all my years on Mason's Island I have never seen anything like this. The mouth of the Mystic River in Ct. is swarming with what I think are harbor or harp seals. I counted at least 40 of these majestic creatures chasing 8" bunker. Maybe 100 but the fog is too thick now to tell. How do I know they are chasing bunker? Numerous oil slicks. The Black Back Gulls are diving, eating well and showing me their rewards. Also saw numerous egrets, a Great Blue Heron and several Black Crowned Night Heron flying over. A fox and swallows chasing insects blowing over the bay from a freash water pond nearby. All the while the ocean is calm and showing my wife and I that spring has finally arrived. It's a great day to be in tune with nature. Should I grab the rod? Not! Plenty of that tomorrow. Tears me apart to leave here and fish Gansett Bay in the morning when there may be cows in the pasture right out my back door. See you guys in the morning!

Phil

Dave17
04-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Good luck tomorrow. Seals are probably on Herring. Aren't there some small runs up the Thames into the Shetucket?

Dble Haul
04-27-2007, 08:48 PM
There have been reports of large bunker along the CT coast for a few weeks now, with much larger numbers of them along NJ and southern Long Island.

bonefishmon
04-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes. He is right. They were in the Hous when I was there on Tuesday. HUMMMMMMMMM. Got here that fast? Friend of mine with a house on the water near the seals must have got his spotting scope out. He said they were too fat to be herring or alwive. I saw one in the gulls' mouth flying by. Sure looked like a bunker to me. We could be in for an amazing season.

Phil

bonefishmon
04-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Matter of fact...............think I'll make a bee line back home (shad hole) after the icebreaker.

Phil

juro
04-28-2007, 08:59 AM
I've seen spring pushes of big bunker frequently on the cape this time of year, although not every year by any means and less over the last decade than when I was a kid. They were in Stage and the refuge last year.

Rip Ryder
04-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Phil

Sounds like we may need to talk, about you opening a Rip Ryder franchise down there. Don't worry I'll share some of my seal secrets with you :hihi:

bonefishmon
04-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Phil

Sounds like we may need to talk, about you opening a Rip Ryder franchise down there. Don't worry I'll share some of my seal secrets with you :hihi:

Sandy Point and Napatree from a launch in Stonington Village. Might work. Where do I sign?

Phil