Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week Gagne Special [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week Gagne Special

Charlie
04-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Yet another great fly from master fly tier Daniel Dufour, one of Quebecs greatest fly tier. He has won many prestigious fly-tying contests with his more artistic flies including the FQSA Salmon Fly Tying World Championship witch he won 7 times making him the FQSAs only Grand Master. He has invented many patterns for fishing that are now Gaspe standards. This pattern was invented for fishing the Matapedia.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Fine oval gold tinsel.
Tail: Red goose shoulder.
Rib: Oval gold tinsel and black silk floss,
Body: Golden yellow silk floss.
Wing: Brown and white bucktail mixed.
Cheeks: Jungle cock.
Collar: Long soft brown hackle.
Head: Black

Salar-1
04-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Charlie
Thank's for FINALLY putting a name to this fly!!We just knew it as "the guide's fly" VERY effective on the Patapedia and great all summer long in rising water ! Definatley NOT a less-than-17lb.-fish-fly :-) Caught 1 on Bonnie,2 on Madeleine,one on York and 1 on Grande Riviere (when it had Salmon in it) on this fly. Did very well with it on the Saranac for Landlocks.
Here's the version as I knew it.

Hook: #2 Streamer hook
Tag: Fine oval gold tinsel.
Tail: Red goose shoulder.
Rib: Oval gold tinsel and brown silk floss,
Body: Golden yellow silk floss.
Wing: Moose and dark brown Deer mixed .
Cheeks: Jungle cock 1/2 body length and tyed falt along body.
Collar: Long soft brown hackle.
Head: Black
Cheers

flytyer
04-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Charlie,

I could see this fly working for early PNW summer runs in those rivers opened in May. The brown hackle and brown mixed into the wing darken it up slightly from the yellow or yellow & chartreuse flies (such as Walt Johnson's Springer Green) many of the old steelhead fishers used in May.

Skilly
04-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Charlie this fly brings back some old old memories of a trout fly the Mormon Girl morphed into a Salmon fly.

Skilly

Salar-1
05-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Charlie
Wilst getting ready for Gaspe ,found this olde Gagne . All three that turned up were rather scruffy and well used (one had 2 fish on it ). As ya can see tied em up (as per Matapedia "guide fly" using Moose exclusively in wing and not moose/deer mix . Brown floss on body and not black as you've mentioned ! Thought the Moose wouldn't stand up ,but did hold together
Cheers

Venture
06-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I like the look of this fly, and the report from Salar 1 that it is quite productive. For some reason, I do not like tying salmon wings with deer hair or buck tail wings. And as for moose....I feel the same. I like squirrel or fox much better.

I tied up a few with red fox squirrel and the brown hackle as mentioned. Looks quite good. Nice wing, and gives at nice brown looking soft wing. Wonder if Salmo Salar will mind........