My kind of trout fishin' and some swap fly success [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My kind of trout fishin' and some swap fly success

Quentin
04-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Went to a local lake tonight after work and started casting a 3" black rabbit fur fly in a shallow corner of the lake. It was the same fly I was using for largemouths last night and I figured there were probably pickerel or bass in this spot. After a few casts I saw a wake behind the fly and sped up my retrieve. The fish swiped at the fly and left a nice swirl, and I figured it was probably a pickerel. I started casting and retrieving the fly quickly just below the surface and soon had another hit and miss. This time I could see it was a nice trout. A couple of casts later it hit again and I hooked up and landed a nice ~18" brown. Looked like a freshly stocked fish but it was still fun. A few casts later I had another swirl so I figured there were more out there. I decided to try some of the trout swap flies so I tied on the Cricket-Head Salt-Shaker from vtloon and briefly hooked up and battled with an even larger trout :smokin: . Next up was the blond sculpin from teflon_jones and I had another hit and miss with a big swirl :Eyecrazy: . I tried the olive sculpin but didn't get any takers so I went back to the black rabbit fur fly. Still no takers. Must have been on to me :hihi: .

Here are some bad pics of the one I landed:

logy
04-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Very nice trout!

teflon_jones
04-27-2007, 10:14 PM
That's awesome, glad to hear the swap flies are working for you! :)

vtloon
04-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Just flew into Burlington from Salt Lake about 50 min ago. Can report 3 good rainbow from the lower Provo on one of Josko's PMDs.