!!! WEATHER CANCELLATION !!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: !!! WEATHER CANCELLATION !!!


juro
08-11-2000, 09:32 PM
I hope everyone sees this!

Keith called to say due to SE 25 mph winds, high seas due to hurricane effect to the SE and rain, he will not be taking us out to the end of the world tomorrow. I can't say I object based on his knowledge of the sea and the area he calls his backyard, but I did give a grumble and a groan anyway for good measure.

Sunday will be even worse, and it will be in our best interest to focus on the 27th as the make-up day with similar tides.

I will be in Chatham tomorrow anyway, hopefully we can all hook up for some fishing from shore.

In the future we should adopt a strict policy of checking the board before leaving for the causeway for this very reason!

Juro

i'm so outta here
08-12-2000, 12:49 AM
I did send email out to the crew, though that may not be worth much if internet access for some is an office only thingy.

Perhaps we should implement a vastly simplified, generic signup form for future outings of this sort -- it might even be only necessary to fill out and submit the form once. Juro, you (or whomever is organizing the event) would then have sole access to a list of phone numbers for all involved?? Just an idea....
Al

CEWh
08-12-2000, 02:13 PM
I and two others waited at the causeway because we didn't know that the trip was cancelled. We had all checked the status of the trip via internet by 6PM at work and everything seemed in order, and none of us had internet at our homes/summer homes to check at a later time. Either an earlier cancellation notice is necessary or a phone based cancellation system is probably a good idea.

Charles Whitehurst

i'm so outta here
08-12-2000, 05:40 PM
Charles,

So sorry this happened! Hope you guys found a great breakfast place with cute waitresses http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Juro had tried to call me close to 6PM to get the word out about the cancellation but his cell phone connection went south somewhere on rt. 2. It was fully 20 minutes until he had enough signal to get the cancellation message to me.

We will definitely get phone numbers from people in the future.

Al

juro
08-13-2000, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry this had to happen but I called Al the minute Keith notified me so that he could post the cancellation immediately on the forum. I was driving through Nine Acre corners when I got the the bad news from Keith on my cell phone. I suspect it was less than two minutes from the call to the post but that was not enough.

In the future...

1) you will be advised to check the forum at the latest possible time before leaving

2) phone numbers will be collected for those who would like notification by phone

3) email will be sent (as it was this time)


Better yet, I suggest we all call Keith for last minute verification as I had done. Yes, that's the best solution.


<b><center>*** ALWAYS CONFIRM WITH RIP RYDER BY PHONE
BEFORE LEAVING FOR CHATHAM ***
<!--http--><a href="http://monomoyislandferry.com/" target="_blank">&lt;homepage&gt;</a><!--url-->
</center></b>

CEWh
08-15-2000, 11:12 AM
No need to apologize, these things happen and I was sure that people were probably notified etc......it was a good opportunity for me to see where people fish from the Chatham light house, which I hope to try soon. If I had any brains that night I would have confirmed by some other manner, but for some reason I was confident the trip was on....anyway, thanks for the Rip Ryder information, I agree that is probably the best solution, althouth I hope Keith won't be annoyed by all the phone calls in the evening; perhaps he can make a phone message stating "yes, tomorrows trip to the South tip is on" etc.....

Charles Whitehurst

FredA
08-15-2000, 12:15 PM
I agree with Charles that apoligies are not warrented. I was out of touch after about 6:00PM Friday and figured the Tip was at best a 50/50 bet Saturday. What really pissed me off was my indecision as to where to fish after leaving the causeway. Stopped at the light - eh, to much wind - stopped at Hardings - winds not bad but looks kinda dead. Finally went back to Dennis and flogged for an hour or so in the Bass River. Weed on every cast and no sign of fish.

Al, though I'd already left, thanks for the heads up on the cancellation.

Fred A.

juro
08-15-2000, 12:17 PM
I've spent some time as a cross-functional team coordinator in the workplace and learned that an effective way to control chaos is to reduce the number of interpretations that information goes thru. Keith is the only one who knew the status, I was adding no value in that transaction the evening before the trip when he returned my phone call.

The only sure way to confirm is to call Keith, or else dial in fairly late the night before. I will always post what he tells me when he calls me back, so one should only need to call Keith if unable to check the site.

I'm sure he is pretty used to it by now. The way I see it there are worse things than having 12 great guys (and gals) call and say hello.