Apple blooms are in... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Apple blooms are in...

juro
04-26-2007, 07:39 AM
but not the cherry trees

Paxton
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Juro...in my locale...Central Mass...as my town is 600ft above the highest elevation of Worcester.....we tend to be behind re blooms.....over the years, my local indicators are: Forcythia shrubs finish blooming = schoolies have arrived in numbers.....Lilacs bloom = larger fish have arrived. My town is at least 10 degrees colder than Worc, even tough we are only 5 miles north. At present....we don't even have buds on the apple trees, never mind blooms. We have our own micro-climate.
Forcythias here just opened up 2 days ago...I just came from Worcester this morning and their's are dropping bloosoms.
When those cherries bloom near your location....give us all a holler.
Who needs reports when we have trees? Interesting patterns! :-)
Ron

sean
04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
They have been here for a week or so. :razz:

-sean

Dble Haul
04-26-2007, 11:13 AM
And they have been here for about two weeks. :razz:

flydoc
04-26-2007, 12:30 PM
How 'bout I just wet a line this weekend, and let y'all know if anything takes...:hihi:
Flydoc

bcasey
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Juro, the cherry trees are out in full bloom today on the upper cape, BTW, how are you?:cool:

juro
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
CASE! Great to hear from you man... I remember that fish in your profile.

Been better, been worse as they say. If the cherries are blooming on the upper cape then things are lookin up in a hurry!

When they bloom in Boston the big girls are in says an olt salt who taught me a few things over the years.

juro
04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
How 'bout I just wet a line this weekend, and let y'all know if anything takes...:hihi:
Flydoc

Are you in the yardstick contest? Hmmm.... maybe you should sign up then? :smokin:

FredA
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow, a blast from beyond. How's it goin Case.

My apple trees are no where near bloomin, but I pruned (butchered) the hell out of them. The PJM is just starting, about a week and a half late. The bass river was loaded with weed last weekend from the big tides and storm but no sign of fish or bait while I was looking.

flydoc
04-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Fred- care to meet up sometime this weekend to see if the situation's changed?

Juro- only if I wanted to embarass myself- both with my flies and my fishing prowess (or lack thereof)- I'm still quite the novice on both fronts- only one keeper to my credit so far, but I'm working on it....
Flydoc

FredA
04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I won't be down this weekend. Goin to Rhody.

jfbasser
04-26-2007, 05:58 PM

Fred, stay close to Slingers boat, I will be tossing a 2 oz. pencil off the stern without hooks :smokin:

CSJ60
04-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I just wait for Mr. Simms to arrive, then I know its time.

flydoc
04-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Well, make sure to leave a few heading in my general direction. Wish I could join ya, but I'm a little strapped for gas money after Uncle Sam and Uncle Patrick took their respective bites outa my checking account:mad:
See ya at the Clave, if not sooner.
Flycod?

Quentin
04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
. . . my local indicators are: Forcythia shrubs finish blooming = schoolies have arrived in numbers.....
Ron

That means the largemouths are biting around here :D

Q

jimS
04-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Craig, I'll be on the Cape May18th. Look forward to linking up with you and FishHawk. Big tides and lots of lookin'. The Spring Clave is the big kickoff for the season!

bonefishmon
04-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Caught loads of fish in Milford, Ct UDL recently. Some big ones in the mix. Looking forward to seeing the guys on Saturday.

Phil

Guernseybass
04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
When they bloom in Boston the big girls are in says an olt salt who taught me a few things over the years.

well this young salt can advise you that in South Boston/Quincy they bloomed on Wednesday.

I fished Hingham Haba last night - no takes but lots of bait popping up.

The water temp was 49F too :wink:

Mark

juro
04-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Mark -

You sure they are cherry trees, not apple trees?

My experience with this has been that when the cherry trees go into bloom in Boston the fish are on the cape in solid numbers.

I would interpret that as the migration is well underway.

Guernseybass
04-27-2007, 01:37 PM
yes i am pretty sure - I even checked the pics on google.

there are lots of white and pink blossoms around.

as to the migration, i hear reports of sea liced schoolies being taken in a creek outflow at the end of a beach not 5 miles from here on Tuesday nights HT.

Mark.

jamie
04-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Apple tree in my garden is in full bloom and I planted a border today.

juro
04-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Those apple blooms... used to fool me every time. The bass don't come until the cherrys bloom.

UK weather is much like the pacific northwest if I am not mistaken, so you are probably a month ahead anyways of Massachusetts (?)