Trout fishing info [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trout fishing info

logy
04-25-2007, 11:07 PM
hello all,

I didnt realize this but there is a creek not to far from my house that has trout in it. I would like to try trout fishing. Could you guys give me some advice on this. I did find a local hatch chart. But i dunno what i'm looking for. Any help and tips would be much appreciated

catch&release
04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
First, check your local Fish & Game office to see if that creek is open to fishing before the real season opens. If so, it may be catch and release only, for now.
Also, check with your local fishing shops. Usually they will set out in a special area what flys are being hit on in the local area. This will clue you in on the current hatch activity, and what time of day is best to fish.

I assume you have a fly rod in the 4 weight to 6 weight class, reel, line, etc..??

Good luck!!!

logy
04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
I got my fly rod thought cabelas. Its a 6 wt. The thing is i dont know any place around me that would sell flys. The only place i know of is walmart. And the fly selection they have is VERY VERY VERY small. So i'm just clueless on this. And yes the stream is open for fishing.

jero
04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
if there isnīt any fly shops near your home, you can by flies on the web.
Hereīs what flies I would take if I were a beginner completely lost in unknown streams (actually thatīs exactly what I am):

-Iīd get 3 generic dry flies (parachute adams, royal wolff, elk hair caddis)
-Iīd get 3 generic nymphs (hareīs ear in different colors, prince, soft hackle, )
-1 or 2 streamers (wolly buggers etc.)
-2 or 3 of the rest (bitch creek, grasshopper, ant,

check out the feeding activity and see if you can go from the generic flies narrowing them down, after a couple of times you go fishing, to the insects the trout are feeding on.
In my case, I fish freestone creeks, the trout are very opportunistic on their feeding, so with a couple of generic nymphs I usually do Ok.

cheers

Warren
04-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Logy,
There are more places to buy flys in the USA than there is time to print them all.
If you do not have a local fly shop, try a sporting goods store, they may have a better selection. Also Online Vendors are everywhere. Look at the site sponsors.

http://flyfishingforum.com/advertising/sponsorlist.htm

I very rarely buy flys online, but materials I buy all the time. All the fly shops listed here will send stuff anywhere in the USA & some may ship overseas.

I just bought a bunch of tying stuff from The Bearsden, a site sponsor. They are great. Try out the closest sponsor, give them a call, send an email & see how they do.

As far as advise goes, try yo find a local fly fisherman who can give you some tips on the local area. Also look in a book store for a book or two on trout fishing. They will give you some ideas & tips on getting started. Books never replace experience & tutoring from a seasoned veteran, but they can point you in the right direction. Orvis has a good selection of books aimed at the beginning fly fisherman & are available at most book shops as well as online. A book I recommend for a beginner is The Classic Guide To Fly Fishing For Trout. by Charles Jardine. It has some good advise. He explains the equipment, flies to use & tactics one would employ for trout fishing with clarity.

I would start out casting a olive or black woolly bugger. If they are hitting on the surface try to throw a #16 adams or elk hair caddis at them. It may not be the right fly, but a good place to start.

Good luck, and you are starting on a journey of great adventure and learning. Fly fishing for trout or any fish for that matter can be great fun and sometimes very humbling, but don't give up, you will learn a bit more every time you cast or should I say foul up a cast. :D

logy
04-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys... one day i will be like lefy kreh ;)!!

logy
05-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Good news i went trout fishing monday and i caught 2 rainbow trout! I just started throwing every fly i had at them until i got a hit :D