Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yellowstone in October?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rippin_Lips 
#1 ·
I may get a chance to head out to Yellowstone in October for a long weekend. Is the fishing any good that time of year (middle October).

How cold is it? Snowing yet?

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 ·
Jeff,

The Yellowstone in October is a great time to go fishing in the park. The crowds are long gone, the fish are still just as plentiful, and the elk are bugling. And as a bonus, there are large, spawning run browns to be had in the Madison and Lewis rivers. Plus, the fishermen you will see in October are almost exclusively very experienced, very good, and very gentlemanly. May and October were some of my favorite times to be in Yellowston during the 12 years I lived in Montana.

The weather can be warm and nice, or cold and snowing; however, usually it is cool and sunny with temps around 50, at least until the end of the month. In other words, be prepared for anything from cold and snow to rain, to cool, to warm. Remember Yellowstone is high altitude country and the weather can change in a matter of hours in the October transition time.

Go and enjoy one of the finest times to be in the park.

#3 ·
^^^^ Good Advice ^^^^^

Don't forget about the waters outside the park though. There seems to be a notion with people visiting the area that as soon as you cross the park boundary the fishing is instantly better than anywhere else. YNP has awesome fishing as stated above but check out a map and don't be afraid to venture to other streams outside of the park as well.

#4 ·
Rippin_Lips said:
^^^^ Good Advice ^^^^^

Don't forget about the waters outside the park though. There seems to be a notion with people visiting the area that as soon as you cross the park boundary the fishing is instantly better than anywhere else. YNP has awesome fishing as stated above but check out a map and don't be afraid to venture to other streams outside of the park as well.

Point well taken.

It is starting to look like flying into Jackson is going to be our best bet. If I can pull this off, we will fly in on a Thursday night and have to fly out on Monday morning. That leaves Friday, Saturday and Sunday for fishing which does not leave a whole lot of time for running around so we'll have to be pretty selective on where to fish.

Probably around Jackson and Tetons would be the least amount of driving. Any really good places to fish around those parts?

Thanks

Jeff

#5 ·
Tons of places around JH. The flows on the Snake will have dropped making wading a good possiblity. BWO's when cloudy!!! The Snake's tribs are pretty slow then though.

Even if you are flying into Jackson, drive up into YNP. It's really an exciting time of year and not really that far. If I were you I'd beeline it up there and take the last day or afternoon to fish the Snake in JH. Of course you could forget YNP an just fish the Snake and the South Fork... ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.