Fly Fishing Forum banner

Saturday Cape Cod

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jay C. 
#1 ·
The better half has to work Saturday, so I have all day to fish. I know it's a tough job but someone has to do it. I am looking for someone to hook up with I don't have a plan I usualy plan my trips on which way the the the pickup is pointed when I back out of the driveway.
John

#2 ·
The wife and I will be watching my first high school graduate stroll down the lane Saturday, wow have the years flown by. The party's at my place afterwards... fishing will have to wait this weekend.

I'm thinking of sneakin' off to PI for Sunday dawn shift... tied up all day after that with a 30th b-day dinner party for a sister in law.

Why wasn't all this family stuff happening when the fish were down south?

#3 ·
Juro,

Congratulations for getting one thru the toughest years. I have a couple ahead of you and I understand what an accomplishment it is. This weekend is prep time for the clave if there is time to spare, a little last minute tying to have the right arsenal ready for Monomoy.

PI sounds awful tempting to fit in, even for an hour or two.
Talked to Jack Gartside today and he said a fish was lost at boatside this morning that was close to 40 inches. Phil Klug was in Boston harbor ...fish all over the place.

I have a call into Greenwood for an update...are you up for a coastal grand slam?

Ready to go,

Jay

#4 ·
Just talked with John Greenwood (NH F&W) about upper Merrimack. With water temps rising (60-62) the fishing is spotty at best. Fish are beginning to drop down, as they would after natural spawning I suppose, moving toward the
river mouth on the almost weekly flooding conditions of the river this year. This weekend may be the last chance for a good shot at a silver sided monster.
Maybe not the best year for the upper Merrimack.

Jay C.

#5 ·
Jay,

There should still be some fish in the upper Merrimack. In my limited experience up there - the best time to fish is in the morning (as it becomes light), or the period from sunset to around 9:30pm. It helps to have some herring around, as that is what they are there for. To be honest I haven't kept too close a watch on what is going on over there this year, but they have had an exceptional run of herring up to the Essex Dam (as compared to recent years), so I'd imagine the stripers will be locked on to them, making big herring patterns the one I would tie on first. In high water - spin fishing gear would be easier, as the currents can be pretty fast and prevent you from getting down quickly with a fly line. Perhaps a quick desent line would be the ticket for solving that problem. I have had very good success with poppers there for the schoolie sized fish (spin and occasional fly), but the bigger fish were almost always taken on larger (9") sluggo's (afternoon or night) or Bombers (at night).

Good luck, sorry couldn't be more helpful (or fly related).

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.