Hang on Jaspir... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hang on Jaspir...

Penguin
04-13-2007, 07:32 PM
We're headin' for the rhubarb!!! :eek:

Classic Nor'Easter on steroidz...
Monomoy Howler ETA Sunday/Monday... :Eyecrazy:
Wash-overs with structural renovation & redistribution possible...
What's old is new again... :D

A hike may be in order after the lady is done singing...
Weshallsee! :confused:
Film at eleven...
Is RipRyder running this weekend? :razz:

juro
04-13-2007, 11:14 PM
After all the griping I am really looking forward to exploring the extended SB this year... hope there's no break from this storm - maybe next year but its too interesting to lose before the season starts.

My winter scheming and theories will be 'washed up' and it will be like last year which is a re-run.

FredA
04-14-2007, 06:09 AM
I'll take a pic at the light this late afternoon for reference...

No break might be interesting, but I have trouble figuring out how it will be better, especially during the doldrums.

FishHawk
04-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Things will change for sure a walk is coming up. Might even claim some new territory for the Forum. :hihi: FishHawk:hihi:

flydoc
04-14-2007, 10:25 AM
In that case, Bill, we'd better have some special WWFFF banners made so we can make those claims official....defend them with our lives, if need be. Pete can work out a perimeter defense system for each one:lildevl:
Flydoc

juro
04-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I'll take a pic at the light this late afternoon for reference...

No break might be interesting, but I have trouble figuring out how it will be better, especially during the doldrums.

It will be better because NO ONE knows it (yet) :lildevl:

striblue
04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Looking forward to the changes and I plan on being down the first weekend in May when I open CAC...time for a walk... PS...Bill, just saw your PM and just replied...I have not been on the board each day...but my answer is "yes"...

FredA
04-14-2007, 08:45 PM
For reference, before the storm...2:30pm 4/14.

juro
04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Fred -

I thought you meant pics of the land bridge :lildevl:

John -

I am really jonesin' for some of that spicy crispy shrimp! I will call...

FredA
04-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Too long a walk for ground level, featureless, pictures. Did that already. Radical changes at the light will tell you if you need to do the walk.

Forcast has the winds going east then ese, se. I would think NE winds pushing the longshore current on the rise would have the most potential of driving severe wash overs. Storm's a couple of days too early to coincide with some really big tides.

As Pete says, weshallsee.

juro
04-15-2007, 08:45 AM
with the spit going east-west and the main beach north south one would think a hard sou'easter would do the most damage vs noreaster (to the land bridge)

you say its E then SE? well hopefully the mini-cut mid-SB from last year will open into a full scale gut

HEY I am flying today so let's hold the storm off for one day! :D

Paxton
04-15-2007, 10:24 AM
A cut would be great, but I for one just need for winter to get over, the fish to arrive and go fishing no matter what happens.
Had a nightmare last night which explains the above statement....The dream....my wife and I were in kayaks somewhere in a tropical location....all of a sudden we spotted rolling tarpon in a lagoon......I grabbed my 9wt...opened my flybox to get a tarpon fly....and the only flies in the box were tiny trout dry flies.....I can't tell you if they would have worked or not, I woke up :)
Now if that isn't a frustration dream, I don't know what is....time to get out of this house and fish!
Ron
PS: Will plan on bringing a couple of dry flies to Chatham...maybe the dream was an omen :devil:

jimS
04-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Any changes on the elbow after the storm?

Adrian
04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I saw a brief report on another site referring to three new breaks at Nausset and a mention of Monomoy but no details yet ....

Penguin
04-17-2007, 05:05 PM
One good cut deserves another...

A view from an "over look" at the refuge...
*numerous wash-overs all along SB...
*a small cut about 1/2 mile south from the light...
*and a major wash-over/cut way down past the SB drop off...
*the area of the new land bridge was not only submerged but it was under water too!
High tide at the Light...ALOT of sand movement/excavation...

I'll try to get back in a few daze at low tide for another look...(and I'll bring a charged camera battery!)

jfbasser
04-17-2007, 05:29 PM
I received word today that Norton Point Beach on the Vineyard has broken through. First break since 1954. Should make the MV Catch & Release Tournament interesting for the Canal Flyrodders of which Slinger is an honorary member :hihi:

jimS
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Noticed on another site that there were washovers on North Beach. Suspect that they, along with South Beach, occurred during the big tide yesterday. If so, no new cuts.

On S. Monomoy, I understand that just south of the old Hospital Pond, the land mass from the ocean to the sound is 300 yards. That could lead to a new cut.

Conjecture sometimes is wishful thinking.

FredA
04-17-2007, 06:39 PM
You gotta figure that the thin spine of south monomoy has washed over. Winds and big surf will be sustained through tonights big tide. Should be interesting to see if any cuts stay open.

desmobob
04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Man... it's going to be like fishing in a whole new location this Spring. :eek:

This seems like the third year in a row of substantial changes after ten years of pretty much the same ol' South Beach.

I'll be interested to see some photos after the weather dies down.

Good fishing,
desmobob

Rip Ryder
04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Pete,

I saw the washover at the K buoy same as a few years ago. Only problem no wave action going from east to west like in 2004. Some serious wave action on top of the new land bridge. Last measurement though showed that bridge was about 400ft thick and getting wider and higher by the day, so even if there was a break or even any damage it will not last long. All the sand just wants to move to the south. I am waiting to hear if South Monomoy broke. There was real concern for that happening, as the dune on the east side of the washover, about a mile south of the old southway entrance, was about 2ft high compared to 8ft high last spring. FWS is really watching that area. FWS will get out by the weekend, when the weather breaks, lots of preparing to do for the birdies coming in.

Will keep you posted, if I hear of any major real estate changes.

Capt Keith

Penguin
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
The SB wash-through (closest to the Light) was narrow but still had some flow...
Wash-overs were too numerous to count all along SB...
The Chatham cut was a maelstrom and no obvious channel could be seen from the Light...
The southern tip of Nauset was greatly affected and well washed...
Last season there were several Nauset camps in great peril and I would suspect they are now no more...numerous wash-overs are a given...cutz likely!
The area of last years SB winter wash through (1500m past SB drop off) was quite pronounced and flowing in surges...will probably fill in quickly...
The entire area of the new land-bridge (former south-way) was all under considerable water and waves...LOTZ"a water between N & S Monomoy & SB...
I could make out the South Monomoy Light as a shadow on the horizon but because of the visual compression angles and fog, beach detail was not clear. I could not detect any S Monomoy breach but would NOT rule it out at the narrows.

I hope to get back after the rain stops (with a fresh camera battery) and will try some digi-scope shots from the refuge over-look for a better/closer look during low tide...photos to phollow...
And...If the wind ever stops...my kayak will splash and I'll get up close and personal! ALOT to take in!
Weshallsee!
p.s.
BEWARE! 'Picked off my first deer tic of the season...

FredA
04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/updates/2007/04/breach_widens_on_barrier_beach.htm

juro
04-18-2007, 04:57 PM
It's just a few steps to the south of the "honey hole" for those I brought down there during it's good years.

There are at least three scenarios I can think of that would make that an incredible spot to be standing.

I feel for the landowners though... they'll have to employ skiffs or yaks to get to their places on the isolated lobe if it keeps up.

doogue
04-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Not that I have been down Chatham way for a few years but:

A. The reference to Juro's honey hole has me thinking about a visit. That was a great day that we enjoyed out there Juro. Many thanks.

B. I selfishly like the idea of an isolated tip at Nauset. As a kayaker, I look for big isolated sandbars surrounded by cows. I have only one that I really enjoy in New Hampshire and I could use another.

Juro, nice to see you at Logan the other night.

Safe travels,

Mike

juro
04-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Likewise Mike! Hope you had a good flight.

I got trapped in DTW overnight due to the delays.

Can you imagine a fresh cut at the HH? WOW that would really be something. Look at the satellite images and you can see why the fish hold there on the ebb even without a shortcut. A cut would make the cobble into fresh moving sand shoals joining the slot.

The Chatham regulars know firsthand that the sand has been shifting toward the fish dock in a big way. I have to wonder what this will do to shift the old channel to the east.

I've been exploring the tip a lot over the last couple of years and it's totally been re-arranged from tide to tide even without any disruptions. The humps have been outrageous from spring migration right down to the fall hardtail apperances. An isolated "Nauset Island" would be pretty damn interesting and well worth the yak over. Like a giant mecca!

Renewal of the oversand permit for those with no vehicle reg. changes can be done by mail this year. At first glance it would seem like less beach for the same $$ but to be able to get to a breach like this could make it worthwhile .

Downside is the times reports that the drive lane is gone to get there, but the inside track can get you there at low from the #7 inside lane.

titleguy
04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Any recent sat photos of the breach? Google Earth seems to be behind the times.

Rip Ryder
04-19-2007, 09:31 PM
The admiral and I checked out Nauset today from the town landing at Skataree(SP) aka Minister's Point in Chatham today. Water was washing over at lowtide this am with some monster surf just waiting patiently on the east side for a little help from the incoming tide. The Admiral went back at Hightide this afternoon and said the water and waves were coming right on through east to west. The 50yd wide opening this am became a 100yd wide open on the incoming. God only knows how some of the camps just north of the washover are still standing. Some of the waves this am lowtide were higher than the houses, can't imagine what was there in the height of the storm.

I'll try to fight the crowds tomorrow and check it out at hightide.

Capt Keith

juro
04-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Keith -

Any increase in depth of the channel? Times reported 6ft depth at high.

thanks and looking forward to May

Rip Ryder
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Just went down to see the washover (4/20 10am) and no water running over during the early incoming. Will have to see if there is any splash over at hightide. With tides going back to normal and the wind and wave action letting up, it may just be another low and vulnerable spot like the K buoy on SB.

Keith

bonefishmon
04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Trustom Pond Beach has breached in Rhode Island. Trustom Pond Wildlife Refuge is now receiving fresh ocean water during high tide according to news from another site. Things are changing everywhere. I'm headed to Napatree this afternoon for a look see. May even bring a rod and check in at the bar.

Phil

Guernseybass
04-20-2007, 02:11 PM
from the Globe :

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/04/20/1177065740_4088.jpg

if that doesn't silt back up . . . .

Greg Pavlov
04-20-2007, 08:52 PM
One geologist(?) was quoted as saying that the water is rushing
out so quickly at low tide that it appears that the silting will be
minimal. But probably not permanently.....after all, Monomoy
wasn't an island for all that long....

juro
04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
again I feel for the landowners... but that is some SERIOUS fishing structure!!!

PopnesetBay
04-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Where is the closest site to wet a yak for the new breakthru ? Instead of a "Southway" are we looking at a new "Northway"? Wonder if the isolated piece, if it stays isolated, will still be "Plovered" like the rest of Nat'l SeaShore? Looks like a lot of exploring is in the near future!!

flydoc
04-21-2007, 04:42 AM
For the daring, there's a public launch area at the end of Scattaree Road, near Minister's Point, that is directly west of the new break. A direct line paddle of about 0.9 miles. Bring a bright orange life vest, a waterproof flare pistol, and shark repellant:whoa:
Flydoc

Greg Pavlov
04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Cape Cod Today had a few nice shots as of Thu:

http://www.capecodtoday.com/images/07-News/Break03-19-07-1000.jpg

http://www.capecodtoday.com/images/07-News/BreakCloseup-03-19-1000.jpg

juro
04-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks Rod

So how about this...

the break opens wide on the moon tides then closes for the home owners on weak ones. We all get what we want :hihi: :roll: :hihi:

PopnesetBay
04-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Great pictures, thanks Rod.

In the close up pic...does anyone know what that is in the middle of the breakthru, just on Pleasant Bay side of the centerline? Something that was where the breakthru occurred and washed part way into Bay, marker of some sort or flotsum...couldn't be someone in a boat or ----? Are my old eyes playing tricks with my feeble brain????

flydoc
04-21-2007, 09:59 PM
It's a boat.

Penguin
04-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Splashed my Yak for a better look and drowned a phly on the way (no takers)...
YIKES!
Standing on the north tip of the "new island"...looking north toward the break and Orleans...Low tide...
Maybe 1/3 mile across (or more) and 1/2 mile thick...
Still morphing!

jimS
04-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Hmmm. maybe Keith can start a satellite operation for shuttles to the new island.

FredA
04-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Go here and check out pics 5 and 6:

http://www.capecodonline.com/media/photos/news/slideshow.html

juro
04-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow - washovers up and down SB. Good catch Fred.

Shoaling is still there though... not sure what we'll have to play with in a month but it will sure be interesting!

juro
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Pete -

How deep would you say the channel was at low?

thanks

Splashed my Yak for a better look and drowned a phly on the way (no takers)...
YIKES!
Standing on the north tip of the "new island"...looking north toward the break and Orleans...Low tide...
Maybe 1/3 mile across (or more) and 1/2 mile thick...
Still morphing!

Penguin
04-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Maybe a few feet in the deepest spots at dead low tide.
The sand is still very much un-settled and saturated...step...step...sink-up-to-your-knees! :eek:
Smaller CC boats have been going through the cut to the outside and back as the new ditch fills on the flood...bragging rights (for now)...

As the new slice establishes itself, the hook at the ends of Nauset grows larger/closer...:Eyecrazy:

Rip Ryder
04-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Sorry Jim, the logistics of getting a place to load from on the north side of Chatham would be no where near worth it. I would rather face the firing squad:Eyecrazy:

FredA
04-25-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.science.ulst.ac.uk/ics2002/fitzgerald%20and%20pendleton.pdf

I have taken the liberty of copying a link posted by Mark F on FFSW.

Note the 2001 shot of the inlet and the knob of sand that was "Big Girl Bar".

juro
04-25-2007, 01:56 PM
She giveth and she taketh away...

Penguin
04-25-2007, 02:24 PM
I can't wait for an update...
Even my "special" phriends can't help me out on this one! :roll:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chatham,ma&ll=41.634536,-69.960423&spn=0.018969,0.031672&t=k&hl=en

titleguy
04-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Waiting for the same update Penguin.:(

Greg Pavlov
04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
I have taken the liberty of copying a link posted by Mark F on FFSW. .....

Thanks ! I ran across this some time ago, and was trying to find it again
this last week....

jimS
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Fred, thanks for the read. This year, and especially in following years, will bring good fishing only to the intrepid. You in the fold?

CSJ60
04-25-2007, 08:58 PM
No need to make the walk to the SW this fall...no flow, no PB washing thru, why make the walk except for the exercise. :mad:

Guernseybass
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
new article and pic at capecodonline.

the experts say its staying and is still scouring out at lowtide.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070504/NEWS/705040348

there is only one question then - so who's going to give me a lift out there ? :biggrin:

juro
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
It's gorgeous. Have they opened the ORV path yet?

bonefishmon
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Pete. Have have always noticed a sign near Chatham. Airplane rides. Any info for a possble flyover?

Phil

Penguin
05-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I've been out to talk to that flyguy...
About a buck fifty (150) for an hour of drilling holes in the clouds...(probably more)
I may check into that again in June (if my pal doesn't fly in his old '47 tail dragger)
The photos being posted tell the Nauset/Pleasant Bay tail...
The SouthWay land bridge took a beating but it's on the inside of an elbow bend and is doomed to fill back in (if it hasn't already)
Shifting sandz!

Redfisher
05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Juro

As of 4/30/07 they have opened the trails. However both the bayside and ocean side trails are open only as far as 7. The latest article in the Cape Codder also indicated that even if the new break closed, which it has not, it might be some time after the closing before it would be stable enough to allow vehicle traffic. As of now there is water flowing through at all stages of the tide and the "experts " are not offering any predictions.

Dan

Greg Pavlov
05-06-2007, 09:37 AM
I've been out to talk to that flyguy...
About a buck fifty (150) for an hour of drilling holes in the clouds...(probably more)
I may check into that again in June (if my pal doesn't fly in his old '47 tail dragger)
The photos being posted tell the Nauset/Pleasant Bay tail...
The SouthWay land bridge took a beating but it's on the inside of an elbow bend and is doomed to fill back in (if it hasn't already)
Shifting sandz!

Re shifting sands, I assume that most people here know that Monomoy was
part of what is now South Beach until a storm made it an island in the late
19th century. And it was probably an island sometime before that, and so forth....