I finally did it! 8eleven on the way [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I finally did it! 8eleven on the way

Warren
04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Last of the big spenders I am.

I called Ron Larson yesterday & ordered a Danielsson LW 8eleven for my 9 wt.

Now I am champing at the bit for FedEx to get here. Being the Cheep bastard that I am it is coming ground. Now I have to suffer the wait.

Now for the funny part. If memory serves me right, it is less Money than the Ross Canyon it is replacing. Go figure.

If this reel isn't all you say it is Juro, I have my little Juro Monomoy flats guide Voodoo doll standing by:hihi: :hihi:

Be here in plenty of time to get rigged up for the Roddy Icebreaker

WhooooooooHooooooooo fishing season is just around the corner..............I'm excited

juro
04-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Now for the funny part. If memory serves me right, it is less Money than the Ross Canyon it is replacing. Go figure.

If this reel isn't all you say it is Juro, I have my little Juro Monomoy flats guide Voodoo doll standing by:hihi: :hihi:

Well if that's the case I ain't worried :smokin:

I've been through a couple of those other reels and several more brands too. Very disappointing overall experience being a salty FF'er when it comes to reels. but then along came Daniellson :biggrin:

The only salt survivors I have that don't run several hundred clams are the old lamson LP's - the orphaned bastard child of a good idea born in Washington state by a couple of Boeing machinists. Basic battle-axe reel needing one or two revisions of the drag and clutch to make it the must-have reel of the century, but ignored like the bad grades of a stepchild as it was handed around by it's wealthy adoptive parents.

My SW reel quandry has been thoroughly and utterly solved by the sexy 'can't kill it' Daniellson HD and LW reels. In fact I've used the 6nine for everything from 7wt bonefish to 70# tarpon. Well OK I needed a boat with the latter and the fish won, but I use that reel so much I bought another (one is the old loop version, same reel different logo).

I just got the 8eleven as well for my 9wt/10wt single handers and will be doing a review of it after the Spring Clave. I have the bigger 9thirteen on my 11/12wt two-hander and the 8twelve on the 9wt 2hander. At these prices I can afford to outfit more than just one rod with the best.

I LOVE EM

Warren
04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
The 8Eleven came this via FedEx this evening.
As a machinist, mechanic & metal fabricator all of my adult life I have gained an appreciation for well made metal products, This is the first Fly reel I have ever been even remotely impressed with. My Orvis Mach is pretty nice, but not impressive. The rest were just a place to keep the line.

I have built my share of things and worked around some well thought out and nicely built machine things in my life. The workmanship & engineering that Danielsson has put into their reels is amazing. ( I took it apart :hihi: ) The simplicity of design and beautiful machine work caught my eye right off. The spool change mechanism is not only unique but well thought out. The drag smooth as silk.

The price with a spare spool ? I challenge any one to come up with a better bang for the buck.

The drag parts look a little complicated, But from the looks of things, It will be a rare occasion to go there unless I need to change the hand I reel with.

I cannot wait to get this baby spooled up & wet.:cool:

Juro, I have put away the Voodoo doll:D

juro
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Well the most impresive part is yet to come...

I expect a post at the END of the season, and I know it will be twice as glowing as this.

I am going to save up some spare change and fill other niches in my arsenal with these reels before some big company buys them and brings the price back up to the levels Loop had them.

Per the drag mechanism... I've seen the CAD renderings on the website but never had to open it up in YEARS of hard use :)

essexalan
04-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Hi,

Where are you guys buying your Danielsson reels from? Are they a dirct import from Sweden? If you do not mind me asking.

Alan

Warren
04-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Alan, they are a site sponsor. In the upper left side of the page you will see a sponsor link.

Ron Larson is the man to call or email. Be patient he will call back or return your email.

Here is the link to Danielsson. http://danielsson-flyreels.se/us/start.php

essexalan
04-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks Warren!

Alan

shad
04-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Alan
If your getting it sent to the UK try the European site
http://danielsson-flyreels.se/catalog/index.php?osCsid=5ed33fa4725676bcd333eaa41be0c7a7
Think the prices are higher but no import tax.
Cheers Colin

salmo
04-20-2007, 09:16 PM
The current prices of Danielsson reels are exactly what Fly shops and pros were paying to get them form Loop when it was reselling Danielsson HD and LW reels.

Right now fly fisherman can purchase these reels for the same price ( half of the prievious retail price) directly from designer/manufacturer.

The HD and LW are the most reliable and sexy reels currently avaialble, regardless of price.

If Charlton will start to make its reel again we'll have the two brands to chose form, most likely for quite differnet prices......

Swalt
04-21-2007, 07:28 AM
I own a HD 9/13. Is the LW the same basic design as the HD with less metal?

juro
04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Yup

The drag is supposed to be less resistant to nuclear attack but I have found my LWs to withstand just about anything I throw at them - stripers, bones, tarpon, jacks, etc.

I have both HD and LW now :cool:

sean
04-21-2007, 12:17 PM
The drags are a little different. You cannot lock down the drag on the LW like you can the HDs. You can get it pretty tight on the LW but not to full lock down. For the vast majority of species it really does not matter but something to consider. The HDs are a little heavier as well but still a light reel.

For some reason I prefer the aesthetics of the HD and have 4 9/13s and 3 11/14s. I love em.

-sean

wrke
04-21-2007, 01:49 PM
??? On Danielsson's site I see no reference to an 8/11, only an 8/12. Is it new, a change, or what?

juro
04-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi Bill -

The 8eleven was removed from the literature but is still made. Just contact Ron to order one.

I will have mine at the spring clave - you coming out for it?

wrke
04-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi Juro
Would love to come, but schedule doesn't look like it. But, will definitely if I can break away. It would be a last minute thing. You like the 8eleven for bonefish? With a WF8 or WF10 would it take 30# micron, or would I have to use 50# gelspun?
Bill

SSPey
04-22-2007, 12:42 AM
if I am not mistaken, isn't the 8-11 identical dimensionally to the 8-12 with a shallower arbor?

essexalan
05-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Some information. 8-11 spools are the same size as the 8-12 spools except for the shallower arbour. However due to the internal dimensions of the arbour they are not compatible with each other ie they won't fit! I found out the hard way!

Alan

Bob Reynolds
09-28-2007, 12:03 AM
The current prices of Danielsson reels are exactly what Fly shops and pros were paying to get them form Loop when it was reselling Danielsson HD and LW reels.

Right now fly fisherman can purchase these reels for the same price ( half of the prievious retail price) directly from designer/manufacturer.

The HD and LW are the most reliable and sexy reels currently avaialble, regardless of price.

If Charlton will start to make its reel again we'll have the two brands to chose form, most likely for quite differnet prices......

Salmo,

You are quite right. As I own several Danielsson reels, I share your admiration for the product. However I can't throw in with the "most reliable, currently available"or the "regardless of price" thing. Maybe close, but no cigar. But one thing is for sure, if Jack Charlton ever decided to make new reels (that would make it a currently available reel), rest assured it would be the BEST reel currently available - regardless of price. I agree the Charlton would probably come at a higher price but after all to say Danielsson and Charlton in the same sentence is kinda .... well, you know what I'm talking about.

P.S. Yes, I am a fan of Charlton reels but I own over 300 reels from about every major manufacturer of reels out there. Nobody wants to hear someone rail about there preferences, myself included. But I will tell folks this .... I have resisted visiting this site many times because in my mind it has become the foremost shilling site for Danielsson (which I like), almost like an infomercial. Juro I really like you and your forum, and you can throw me off this forum but I'll bet there are many others out there that feel the same way. To you, Pipe-Up.

juro
09-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Bob -

I guess in reading your post I now know how it feels to read other's shillings.

If that's the reason you decide to visit or not visit a website, that's your decision. I find that very unusual being familiar with most sites out there.

This site lacks the "it's all about me" attitude of others, in fact it's been the catalyst of countless lifelong friendships and is really a model of camaraderie in the sport.

It is not a gear site disguised as a flyfishing site, it's a flyfishing site.

It's not a commercial site but a site driven by passion for the sport - and largely out of my pocket.

And so sue me if I am very excited about a product because it has not let me down, unlike pretty much every other reel I've owned. What I lack in the 300 reels you own, I more than make up for in the 300 days I put on each I do own. I would wager that from your hundreds of reels very few could pass muster in my hands.

Charlton is one of them, however heavy and ridiculously expensive for a fishing reel. Tibor, etc. Not long after that we're quickly into boutique reels that are not fishing tools.

I am just a hard-working guy with a passion for artful things like flyfishing and music. I try to contribute to the causes I believe in like this site.

If that's all you have to offer to this cause, then hasta brother. But if you want to expound on the virtues of some of the other 300 reels... well then thats giving to the cause and makes my time and money worthwhile.

And I don't mean shilling about Charlton or Tibor, been there done that here and all over the web. Please anything but.

Salmo -

I find that the tone in which you defend Danielsson creates opposition, which I know you are not trying to do. My enthusiasm could be getting drawn into that vortex, or maybe I am pulling you in, but Bob makes a good point - overzealousness only creates doubt.

Few things are too good to believe. Very few. Let's leave it at that.