Fly Advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Advice

chainlynx
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I am headed to Naples for Snook, Redfish and Tarpon. Any specific colors / patterns I should have?
Thanks

Mainer
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Several years ago I had good luck along those beaches using small white Deceivers that were shaped and sized to resemble pinfish. Maybe about 3"-4" long and wide (tall).

I also had good luck with a small popper for snook. My favorite technique was to walk the beach at sunrise roll-casting as I walked so the popper was just in the surf line for a several pops. Keep walking slowly and casting ahead of you; very enjoyable and effective for snook that are cruising the water's edge in April. Watch out for joggers and tourists behind you if you do this.

MarkS
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Went to a wedding in Naples a few years back...

Fished from a little dock in one of the estuary systems right at sunrise....used nothing but a gurgler, and caught countless snook...from little up to about 8 lbs or so. Also hit the beach as the sun got higher...mix of spanish macks, jacks and the teeniest permit....used mostly tan or olive over white clousers.

Took only an 8 wt, which seemed about right.

Good luck.

Mark

petevicar
04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
My favourite fly for these fish, is probably a red and white seaducer. It is great for snook, redfish and baby tarpon.

Pete

chainlynx
04-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your advice!