2007 Annual Yardstick Striper Contest - SIGN UP [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2007 Annual Yardstick Striper Contest - SIGN UP

juro
04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
2007 Annual Yardstick Striper Contest

Five Flies to Enter, Registration Required (just a FORUM thread, no frills)

Fly rules:

- it must have been tied by you or someone
- the pattern must have caught striped bass before
- it must be a fly that is (or would be) in a fly pattern book

Fish rules:

- it must be photographed with date/time enabled or with a witness
- it must be caught with a fly, fly line, fly rod and a fly reel
- there must be no other person directly involved in the catch (e.g. bait and switch)
- verbal advice is allowed as is assistance in landing the fish for the final catch
- the fish must be of the size class required for each category, confirmable by tape, rod model and make in picture, witness, etc.

Winning Categories:

#1 First of Year Shore
- 36" migratory striper from shore on fly and fly tackle

#2 First of Year Boat
- 40" migratory striper from any floating device on fly and fly tackle

#3 Best of Year Shore
- No size, judged by FORUM vote in December, all entries in by November 31st

#4 Best of Year Boat
- No size, judged by FORUM vote in December, all entries in by November 31st

#5 Best Flies Submitted
- Must post images and pattern to be eligible for this prize

Each category wins one fly from each entry (thus five flies per entry).

> No limit to categories one can win however a winner can volunteer to withdraw from other contests if desired.

> Story behind the fish, photo, released or retained, condition of fish when caught (health and girth etc) will be considered in voting process.

Let's go for 50 participants.

Please show your support for this community by taking part in this.

PLEASE REPLY TO ENTER

Adrian
04-11-2007, 06:38 AM
O.K. I am in!!!! :D

What is the submission date for the flies?

jimS
04-11-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm in. Great idea, and looking forward to the reports and pictures.

juro
04-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Good question Adrian.

Contest begins May 1. You must have your flies sent in to be entered prior to the catch but the deadline for all entries is October 31st. (Contest ends Dec 1)

2 Early winners will receive a monthly mailing of flies each month until the contest concludes.

The other three winners will receive all of their flies (1/5 of the total) at once at the final judging.

The October deadline gives people one month to get a pogie eating November bass to try to trump the rest :)

POSTMASTER Fly

I think we need to add one more fly, a nice even 6 fly entry. Let's throw in a fly for the postmaster of this contest.

NOW HIRING

Postmaster must have:

- digital camera and image posting skills
- enthusiasm to post what people are sending in and keep the dialog going
- timely monthly mailing to two people
- one time mailing to three people year-end

A desire to get flies in the mail for their fishing year!

juro
04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Start Date Revised to Spring Clave May 19th.

Anyone else? :confused:

sean
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I am in.

-sean

jfbasser
04-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Start Date Revised to Spring Clave May 19th.

Anyone else? :confused:

I thought the "Clave" included Friday the 18th?

PEC54
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I thought the "Clave" included Friday the 18th?

Ya me too!:confused: There's your sign Basser they're afraid of us.:hihi:

juro
04-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry - working late and frazzled...

that day the clave starts

PEC54
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
that gives me 5 weeks ,a fly a week ,ok I'm in.:hihi:

jfbasser
04-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Ya me too!:confused: There's your sign Basser they're afraid of us.:hihi:

You must be working late, also:hihi: Six flies:D and you can't fish across the canal from Arra because I will declare it bait & switch !

juro
04-13-2007, 04:26 AM
that gives me 5 weeks ,a fly a week ,ok I'm in.:hihi:

Or just buy them the last day, like doin' taxes :)

Warren
04-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Juro,
I'll take a stab at it, although my fishing time is limited.

What do I need to tie for flies? what ever my heart desires? all the same pattern?

If everyone submits Clousers & Decievers it could get boring. Maybe I'll whip up some crabs or something

juro
04-13-2007, 05:25 AM
All flies will be appreciated by contestants.

I will put mine in but as a judge I am not eligible to win, but it's going to be fun anyway! If I am lucky, I could always say "I would have won" :)

If you do decide to go 'whole hog' you will be a candidate for the best flies category.

A sampling of flies will be scanned / photographed and posted throughout the year.

Dble Haul
04-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm in, and will continue to monitor this so I can know who to send the entry flies to.

juro
04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Looking forward to your entries...

STRIBLUE? Where are yooo? :)

Penguin? Phlatz phlize?

Capt Ray? Yeah you can play!

Sean McD? Boat division?

where is everybody???

Dave17
04-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm not going to jump in as a contestant because my time on the water is limited this year.

If you still need a postmaster I'd be happy to volunteer.

PEC54
04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm not going to jump in as a contestant because my time on the water is limited this year.

If you still need a postmaster I'd be happy to volunteer.

You know whats going to happen,Daves going to be high hook for the clave,and end up catching the w/e cow.:chuckle: :hihi:

juro
04-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Well fate does seem to smile on those who give something back!

Thank you Dave, you DA MAN.

Let's get a PO box that is convenient for you if you don't want to use your work or home address.

Adrian
04-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks Dave - you are a STAR :smokin:

jimS
04-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Dave, as usual you're da man. I know how much you travel, and the busier you are, it seems there is still time for worthwhile projects. Let me know if you need some help. I'm currently traveling to see my dad in Florida every couple of weeks. He's in failing health; but at 94 he has had a good ride.

Quentin
04-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm in. I'll bring my flies to the clave.

Dave, being Postmaster sounds like an awesome deal. I figured the job would have been taken within an hour :hihi:

Q

vtloon
04-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm in. I'll bring them to the Clave unless instructions otherwise.
Loon

Dave17
04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
I live about 50 yds from a post office so I'll set up po box

juro
04-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Kewl let me know what the charges are for the year.

juro
04-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Spring Clave is only a month away!

We need more participants to make this work. Show your Forum spirit.

PEC54
04-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Vare are ve sending dese flies ya?

juro
04-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Are you comink to the schpring claaave?

PEC54
04-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Friday only at the canal, my brothers eldest daughter against my protest has chosen that weekend to get married, I told her she had to get her(my) priorities straight but she was being very selfish:hihi: .I then told her she could get married anytime:Eyecrazy: she didn't buy it.:frown:and that when everything went black:eek:

striblue
04-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I am in and will bring my flies to the Clave...John

PopnesetBay
04-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Flyes deliverd at "Clave" or earlier if I knew where to send them.

Pete Readel

bonefishmon
04-25-2007, 05:04 AM
Spring Clave is only a month away!

We need more participants to make this work. Show your Forum spirit.

Just waiting for a PO Box. Thanks Juro.

Phil

Dave17
04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Sorry guys, PO Box will be forthcoming. I travel for work and haven't been home to set it up. If you're dying to get them in the mail PM me and I'll give you my home address.

The other two options are to hold tight until the PO Box is setup or deliver by hand at the clave

Smcdermott
04-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm in.

Sean

juro
04-25-2007, 02:47 PM
14 so far...

let's keep this going!

I will throw in double if we reach 19 (to make it 20 per prize)

OK guys who is going to step up?

(keep in mind I am not eligible to win)

I am surprised to see many of the 'hard cores' are missing. Guess they aren't as hardcore after all :lildevl:

doogue
04-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Representing the NH coast...

I have a channel that all fish from a certain estuary must filter through on the drop. It takes a looooong walk or a paddle to get to this spot but I plan to fish it hard this year.

Should be fun.

shadfreak
05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Why not I might get lucky.
I'm in and will bring my flies to the clave.
Larry

BARDY
05-18-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm in. I hope to drop the flies off at the Clave Dinner Saturday night.
Brian

Adrian
05-21-2007, 07:43 AM
I had my flies in the car ready to hand over to Dave17 but he was mysteriously missing from the early morning assembly at the 08:00 Rip Ryder on Sunday morning.

There were rumours floating around of happenings at a well known Chatham nightspot after the clave but I am sworn to secrecy :lildevl:

Dave17
05-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Yep I have to confess the rumors are true. The festivities made for a 9:00 am start on Sunday and a solid day in the surf.

Watch out for the burrowing sand eels at the Squire this year (pg-13 story that can't be shared online). :hihi: Sean and Juro are the only witnesses that can fill you in.

Adrian, check your PM's. you can mail the flies to my home address when you get a chance.

juro
05-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Watch out for the burrowing sand eels at the Squire this year (pg-13 story that can't be shared online). :hihi: Sean and Juro are the only witnesses that can fill you in.

I just fell off my chair laughing! There's a deep eel joke there somewhere. I also remember Sean saying something about taking out the pilsbury dough boy... the whole thing was somewhat resembled a casting party for Ghost Busters I.

Chalk it up as another memorable closing of the Squi-yah.

Dble Haul
05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Dave, could you PM me your address as well? I need somewhere to send these flies for the contest, and I don't see where a P.O. box has been set up.

Thanks.

BARDY
05-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Dave
Could you PM your address to me also. I didn't make the Clave so I must mail mine in.
Brian

Smcdermott
05-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Dave
Could you PM your address to me also. I didn't make the Clave so I must mail mine in.
Brian

Same here Dave. I have been close but no 40"er yet.

Sean

Dave17
05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Pm's have been sent

Any body else who wants in, put up a quick post here and I'll PM you my address.

juro
05-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Dave -

I will get mine to you this weekend. thanks bro!

vtloon
05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
PM me your address,please.

PopnesetBay
05-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Deliverd at Spring Stripah Fest!!

Pete Readel

mikez
05-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh hell, I'm in.
If nothing else it'll give me incentive to fish more.
My two handicaps will be using standard patterns and providing witnesses.
My tying is usually somewhat freestyle and my fishing tends to be solo, but I'll adapt for the cause.
Now I've got to figure out who I know has a camera but can still be trusted with my best spots. Hmm...:wink:
PM the address ASAP, I want to start fishing soon.
Has no one taken the first shore fish yet?

Dave17
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM
OK, I have flies from Mike and Pete so far. Right now it's a one on one between the two.

The big fish are in fellas, we got a few ourselves this weekend:lildevl: :smokin: .

If I've sent you my address via PM send em out to get in.

If you are interested in jumping on board post here and I'll send you a PM. You can go to the top of the thread to get all the official rules.

Best of luck:smokin:,
Dave

Adrian
06-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks Dave and apologies for being way late with this.

I finally got the flies out on Priority USPS today so they should be with you before the week-end.

Hopefully when I connect with my MV 50 pounder next Saturday night I will be able to count it.:smokin:

juro
06-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Mine will go out this week.

Also, the entrants are already determined by the sign up, so all who signed up are due for their flies regardless of whether anyone has won yet or not (as agreed).

Please get these in ASAP to be fair to Dave who is gracious enough to give something back to the site with his volunteer effort.

Thanks Dave for doing this.

Quentin
06-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Mine will go out this week.

Also, the entrants are already determined by the sign up, so all who signed up are due for their flies regardless of whether anyone has won yet or not (as agreed).

Please get these in ASAP to be fair to Dave who is gracious enough to give something back to the site with his volunteer effort.

Thanks Dave for doing this.

Yep, I'm still in. PM the address and I'll ante up :cool: .

Q

vtloon
06-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Borrowing Sand Eels on the way in today's mail.

Warren
06-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Here are my flies. I tried to tie some small Merkin crabs. I hope they will do

http://www.jonesboring.com/DSC00600.JPG

I'll get them in the mail tomorrow

jimS
06-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Dave, got the flies ready, just needc to know where to send them. PM me the address. Incidentally, I'm not confident I can better Craig's 43, (I'm sure that I can't), but both you and I know where the big girls are, and I'll be back there this weekend.

Dave17
06-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Things are starting to come together. I have flies from four people and more in the mail as we speak.

Anyone else who wants to get in, let me know and I'll PM you my address.....

Smcdermott
06-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I am a little behind on this one. Is this like a swap and I need to send in all the same pattern or can I submit a mixed bag of some of my favorites? All new ties of course. Just don't have the time to tie up the flies this week and can't afford to give up 6 of one pattern in my existing supply.

Thanks,

Sean

juro
06-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Any mix OK - purchased OK, received from a friend ok -

only regs are on definition of what is a fly (see first post) and whether or not you want to go for the best fly prize or just the honker bass.

All flies will be photographed and posted.

(btw - all categories including the 36" shore category is still OPEN, Craig was not entered and Dave gracefully bowed out due to his involvement though he would have probably won it Friday)

Warren
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Dave, Wifey Dear mailed the flies today. You should see them in a few days

jimS
11-16-2007, 01:28 PM
The striper season in New England is nearing an end for 2007. Rhode Island, and Connecticut are still fishing, but it will proably be over by the end of the month.

So, who are the winners in the contest this year? Craig (CSJ60) would have won the shore title with a 43-inch, I believe, but he didn't enter the contest. MikeZ was the early winner from shore, I think. I'm not sure if there was a winner in the boat division. Juro, Dave17?

Quentin
11-17-2007, 09:35 AM
It ain't over yet ! ! ! :hihi: Deadline is Nov 31.

I don't recall seeing any entries (stories/photo) for any of the categories except MikeZ's first 36"er from shore. Are there any other claims for prizes? If nobody has an entry for best bass from shore does that mean Mike is the winner in that category too?

Are we still doing a prize for best flies submitted? I'm not in the running for that category (I don't even remember what I submitted :o ) but I'd like to see the other entries.

Q

p.s. If there are unclaimed prizes, what will be done with the leftover flies? Raffle among entrants? Raffle or auction open to everyone? Other ideas?

Dave17
11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Sorry guys, I've been swamped. I'll pick through all of this over the next couple of days.

More to follow..........

Quentin
11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Sorry guys, I've been swamped. I'll pick through all of this over the next couple of days.

More to follow..........

No rush Dave. I was mainly curious to know if there are any contenders for the "best of season" prizes. Just wondering how big of a bass I need to catch this weekend in order to have a chance at a prize :D .

Q

Dave17
05-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Just a quick update. Last years Yardstick flies will be awarded at the dinner of the '08 Clave. People not in attendance will be recognized and the flies will be sent.

Just realized that we're only two weeks out!!!!! Stoked!! May the sun be at our back and the cows be running the beach! See everyone Friday morning.........:smokin: