Bad influences! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bad influences!

Slinger
04-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Went to the RISAA show last weekend and I spent 4 hrs there on FRi evening and didn't spend a dime. I went back Sat at opening with JF and met up with Adrian, both of whom seemed to be on a buying spree, by the time I got out of there 7 hrs later I had dropped $140 and that didn't count the beer and nuts! I even bought a custom wooden plug!
There wasn't much in the way of Fly stuff but we did get a chance to cast a new line of rods, but I can't remember the name. If Basser remembers he can chime in. They seemed a little tippy to me but they sure could pound a line out. The Van Stall rep was throwing a whole line into the backing while talking about pinpoint casting for cruising Bones. These rods are priced to give TFO a competitor.
RISAA did a heck of a job with this show, over 500 booths and far and away the best time of the show season.
Slinger

Slinger
04-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Another thing I allmost forgot about. There was a booth there with a Capt. out of Bristol that was giving away a free March Brown fly or spin rod with every charter booked. Come down for some lite tackle fishing and go home with a new rod, sweet!
Slinger

jfbasser
04-04-2007, 04:17 AM
Can't remember the name of that rod company either ? It was the same outfit from which Adrian purchased a few conventional rods for his kayak:smokin: I pick up my new Lami jig stick in a few days:D Good to see Jim W at the show...He had quite a bag of goodies himself:tsk_tsk:

Dble Haul
04-04-2007, 08:34 AM
They seemed a little tippy to me but they sure could pound a line out.

Are you talking about the rods, or Adrian and Basser after a few drinks? :wink:

JimW
04-04-2007, 02:50 PM
I wasn't going to bring it up here but I'm going to give wire line jigging a shot. Unlike the fly shows there are some real deals to be had at this show. Got 300' of wire for 8 bucks a ton of how to info from one booth that specialized in it. I found one vendor with some great powder coated jig heads 6oz. & the wire should make for a truely deep eel - tying my own jigs of course. I'd prefer to use downriggers but the wire route is much cheaper.
Good to see a few of you guys at the show.

Capt. Ray was manning one of the booths and talked me into the icebreaker - glad I went.

juro
04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Having fished Billingsgate a lot over the last decade I've watched a lot of wire/jig guys out of Rock Harbor. Looks like a lot of work! Good ab abs and arms workout though.

I am going to try to make the Ice breaker but have a lot of business travel coming up and it's going to be a stretch at best.