2007 Regional Yardstick Bass Contest [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2007 Regional Yardstick Bass Contest

juro
04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Let's do a first 36" on the fly contest for 2007

Division by State: NJ/NY, CT, RI, MA, NH/ME
(MD and VA are spawning states)

Entry Fee: 5 flies (one for each division winner)

Rules:

- Send in flies and information to enter
- Contest starts April 15th (yes I know you need to do taxes too)
- Ends when first 36" of migratory health (no holdovers) is caught in all states
- Each division winner gets one of the 5 flies from each entrant

Photo required. Must be a member of the FORUM to enter. Ties resolved by public poll.

The more people enter, the higher the stakes and it's only 5 flies come on I know you've been tying stir crazy all winter give it up dudes! :lildevl:

PEC54
04-03-2007, 09:46 AM
but,lets stretch that yardstick to 40". Also is this open to shore and boat? Early season boaters will have an advantage,if you remember last year off of Wellfleet in the bay they were hammering the big sandeels.:hihi:

juro
04-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I thought about that but just to keep it simple I didn't do the split.

Why don't people chime in... do we do a shore / boat division? You can enter one or the other.

Shore div = 36"
Boat div = 42"

thoughts from all?

Adrian
04-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Should be fun.

I like the 40" bar from shore - it is still achievable but a lot tougher than a 36"!

Certainly a separate division for boats. Would Kayak count as boat?

Photo of fish alongside a discernable measure?

Closing date for entries - December 31st? :lildevl:

juro
04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Keep the thoughts coming...

Smcdermott
04-03-2007, 02:28 PM
I say 5 flies per entrant and split up the flies between boat and shore categories. Biggest fish of 2007 takes the kitty in each. Keeps the fun going all season long with a sticky thread to keep track of the progress. Could be fun to see if the bigger fish are caught heading north or south?

Sean

jimS
04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Juro, great idea. Gets the competitive juices flowing.

I agree with Adrian, 40 inches from shore. That is a stretch for most of us, but doable.

Separate category for boats/kayaks (watercraft). Forty five inches.

In addition to flies, how about sponsors supplying some prizes, e.g. flylines.

Rules will include, "no bait-and-switch"?

Smcdermott
04-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Juro, great idea. Gets the competitive juices flowing.

I agree with Adrian, 40 inches from shore. That is a stretch for most of us, but doable.

Separate category for boats/kayaks (watercraft). Forty five inches.

In addition to flies, how about sponsors supplying some prizes, e.g. flylines.

Rules will include, "no bait-and-switch"?

I totally disagree with the no bait and switch rule. If that is the case might as well say no clousers, silk lines only etc...

I am fine with whatever measures we go with but I think we will get more partcipation and great pics if we just say submit your big fish with a lower minimum and we vote for the best fish in each category at season end. I might catch a 40" pig in the fall that blows away your 42" spring racer.

capecodkid
04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
When does it end?

sean
04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
I agree with Jim on the bait and switch. A few reasons...

- The guy doing the baiting is the most responsible for the fish being caught or not and I got a feeling he aint fly fishing.

- Clousers do not get fish all riled up like a 5 ounce hookless popper being ripped across the water.

- Plus it sounds like this is a personal endeavor and not a team thing.

40 sounds good to me for shore.

On the kayak thing though...If you used a kayak to get to a wading spot is the fish a boat or shore fish?

Definitely need a witness or a tape measure next to the fish. Will keep us honest cause we are fisherman afterall :)

-sean

PEC54
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I totally disagree with the no bait and switch rule. If that is the case might as well say no clousers, silk lines only etc...

I am fine with whatever measures we go with but I think we will get more partcipation and great pics if we just say submit your big fish with a lower minimum and we vote for the best fish in each category at season end. I might catch a 40" pig in the fall that blows away your 42" spring racer.

Okay I agree with that ,no clousers,they're not a real flies any ways just an old jig with feathers and bucktail,hows this no weighted flies at all.Lets keep this within the spirit Juro first intended,just fun amungst fellow FLYFISHERMAN/WOMAN.If you need to be competitive sign up for OTW's striper cup.Flyfishing only.

Adrian
04-03-2007, 04:28 PM
As long as you are wading when the fish is hooked it is a shore fish. If we disqualify boats/kayaks as means of transportation then do we disqualify someone who took the Rip Ryder to get to their shore spot?

I wasn't sure how bait and switch would apply in this context and agree that this should be an individual event. As it is a flyfishing competition, you could, technically, do your own 'bait and switch' with two fly rods. If you're talented enough to pull it off on your own, I wouldn't disallow it. It sure would make a good video:lildevl:

Is this a striped bass only competition? My vote is yes, stripers only. Others may feel differently but it could get complicated if we go multi species.

Based on last year's early winter temperatures, I still think December 31st is a good end date :D

By the way, the Hudson is a spawning region so do we disallow Hudson stripers from the NY/NJ division?

FredA
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
No clousers - guess I'm out. Freakin elitest.:razz:

juro
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Here's what I have so far...

Bait and switch OK but only if you are both the baiter and the switcher. No trolling.

Clousers OK. Otherwise poppers, creaseflies, crab patterns, epoxy minnows, all that would have to be eliminated. If you can tie it and it's listed as a fly in a fly pattern book it's in. I don't think a clouser is the best pattern to do this with, but it's up to the angler. I have a new pattern devised over the winter that I think will do the trick and weight has nothing to do with it.

Boat and shore are different divisions. Differentiation is fishing from boat or fishing from shore, transportation does not affect division - it's where your feet are while fishing. If you are treading water you are in the boat division :hihi:

If we set it to 40" we will be running the 40+ club from last year which didn't get a lot of participation. Once the fishing gets real good contests just kind of fade into the background.

My thinking was that a 36" would be pretty quick - sometime in May. Thus we could get the flies in NOW and hit the season hard for the win.

How about 38"?

Smcdermott
04-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Okay I agree with that ,no clousers,they're not a real flies any ways just an old jig with feathers and bucktail,hows this no weighted flies at all.Lets keep this within the spirit Juro first intended,just fun amungst fellow FLYFISHERMAN/WOMAN.If you need to be competitive sign up for OTW's striper cup.Flyfishing only.

I think you missed my point. I am just trying to simplify things and saying the biggest fish caught on a fly rod gets the flies by each category. I think the race to the first fish thing with multiple regions and all is just too complicated. I am just looking forward to seeing a bunch of pictures of big bass and I think the simpler we make it the more likely we are to get widespread participation. I am firmly agains the OTW or any other kill tournament.

Sean

sean
04-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I agree with Sean that first fish to 38" is easier won by someone in CT, NJ, RI, NY. Would put the MA, NH, ME guys at a disadvantage. It may not matter in the end but it could.

I think the 40 inch club was just not well participated in as only a few fly fishers ever catch one. Myself included.

I would have to vote biggest fish of the year.

-sean

juro
04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Sean -

Let's not forget why there are five flies... one of these five flies goes into each of the 5 regions. Only one set is won in each region. That's why it's the regional yardstick contest although a yardstick is looking like 38"

It's possible that someone wins in more than one region. However he/she deserves it!

juro
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Sean McD -

If we go that way, then what are the categories, and what is the end date?

BTW - maybe we should get the stakes higher but getting some sponsorship to pitch in products... I will work on that.

PEC54
04-03-2007, 06:43 PM
No clousers - guess I'm out. Freakin elitest.:razz:

Put away those brass bead chain eyes Fred,and unchain yourself from the modern saltwater flyfishing spin fishing tactics.:hihi: :chuckle: :D oh oh did I say that out loud?:lildevl:

FredA
04-03-2007, 07:24 PM
PEC, you know I was just funning. I never get mad, contempt and grudges are poison to the soul. I do like to get even though. I'm rooting for you so I can give you a handful of my favorite ties.

jfbasser
04-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Put away those brass bead chain eyes Fred,and unchain yourself from the modern saltwater flyfishing spin fishing tactics.:hihi: :chuckle: :D oh oh did I say that out loud?:lildevl:

How far do I have to put my splitshot away from the eye of the hook for the fly to be "un-weighted?

Smcdermott
04-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Juro,

Very simple. Boat and Shore. Take all the flies divide by two or if you want to complicate it a bit weight the distribution by the number of entries in each division and call it a day. As Adrian said end date is 12/31/07. Maybe a presentation at dinner after the Marlboro Show if we have a good turnout. I just think that way we get pictures of big bass all season long. No rules other than caught on a fly with a fly pole and a fly line. A few choice prices from the sponsors I am sure would really up the ante.

Sean

PopnesetBay
04-03-2007, 07:41 PM
OK, lets see if I got this straight...so far!!!

Flyrod only - April 15 to Dec 31

Five distinct area's. Two classes each..shore...boat

To classify as "shorecatch" feet must be supporting body weight on terra firma at time of hook-up and landing...all others are "boatcatch".

38" minimum...verified by pic showing date/time and easy to determine length or written verification by witness.

5 fly entry

No weighted fly...no clousers, beadchain eyes, wire wrapped hooks ( What about flies that have "rattles"..are they weighted?)

If my math is correct (fat chance) will need 50 flies. More than that and committee to decide distribution of excess.

Where do we send entry flies?

PEC54
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
PEC, you know I was just funning. I never get mad, contempt and grudges are poison to the soul. I do like to get even though. I'm rooting for you so I can give you a handful of my favorite ties.

Fred can you make them all clouser half&halfs tied upside down so when I rip the "dumbell eye" off they will swim up right:hihi: :chuckle:

Basser splitshot above 18"has been approved and cleared by the governing traditional flyfishing board based out of R.I.:smokin:

JimW
04-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Can we use a wire leader - like 300' ?:devil:

Adrian
04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Can we use a wire leader - like 300' ?:devil:

Sure Jim, just so long as you can cast it with your 9wt :lildevl:

jimS
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Juro, what's the latest? There appears to be a lot of interest, and I think you've got the rules pretty well nailed down. Let me know if you need help on this. You're flitting around on business, and I'm flitting around on "monkey business."

juro
04-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Ok here's what I would like to see:

2007 Annual Yardstick Striper Contest

Five Flies to Enter, Registration Required (just a FORUM thread, no frills)

Fly rules:

- it must have been tied by you or someone
- the pattern must have caught striped bass before
- it must be a fly that is (or would be) in a fly pattern book

Fish rules:

- it must be photographed with date/time enabled or with a witness
- it must be caught with a fly, fly line, fly rod and a fly reel
- there must be no other person directly involved in the catch (e.g. bait and switch)
- verbal advice is allowed as is assistance in landing the fish for the final catch
- the fish must be of the size class required for each category, confirmable by tape, rod model and make in picture, witness, etc.

Winning Categories:

- First of Year Shore
- 36" migratory striper from shore on fly and fly tackle

- First of Year Boat
- 40" migratory striper from any floating device on fly and fly tackle

- Best of Year Shore
- No size, judged by FORUM vote in December, all entries in by November 31st

- Best of Year Boat
- No size, judged by FORUM vote in December, all entries in by November 31st

- Best Flies Submitted
- Must post images and pattern to be eligible for this prize

> No limit to categories one can win however a winner can volunteer to withdraw from other contests if desired.

> Story behind the fish, photo, released or retained, condition of fish when caught (health and girth etc) will be considered in voting process.

I would like to see at least 50 participants. Please show your support for this community by taking part in this.

thanks